Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 16:42

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%
Default I have been absent

Because I am pregnant. 9w3d =)

LC is not happening. I can't stomach meat. I can't even stomach yogurt. All I can do is starch - sweet, salty, spicy, doesn't matter, as long as it's starchy.

Any advice on this? I haven't gained any weight YET but I want to get off this habit before it morphs from nausea-based to habit-based.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 19:52

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Congratulations

While I never had any full blown nausea, I did lose my appetite around the 8-9 week mark, those few weeks were the only time I had any tummy issues, if you can call it that.

I ate a lot of broths with butter in them when I wasn't wanting to chow down on my usual meat meal. Another little thing was adding a *tiny* bit of cornmeal to the outside of salmon patties before I cooked them, gave the illusion of some carbi-ness. While working at my desk I munched on raw salad and deli roast beef too.

Can you eat more non-starchy veggies in the daytime? Might help to fill you so you don't nosh on too much carby stuff. Maybe small bits of lean chicken breast in some broth? I know I have read somewhere that "morning sickness" could be related to fluctuating blood glucose levels, possibly why carby grazing helps alleviate it (but causes it too).

Be sure you take care of yourself and know that this part of your pregnancy will soon pass and you will be feeling much better!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 08:26

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Well, the "morning sickness" has subsided to a ritualistic, feel-like-crap-at-5PM sickness. I'm beginning to think this has to do with my high-carb indulgences in the morning. Nothing sounds appealing except for starch, although I can choke down meat once again. Round about 5PM, I crash, get a wicked headache and feel ungodly nauseous.

On the plus side, I can once again eat veggies without immediately vomiting them. I've been trying to avoid high-starch foods by keeping a bin of fresh veggies (sugar-snap peas, carrot sticks, radishes, lettuce chunks, mini-peppers) at the ready with a container of Thousand Island dressing. It works, unless I let myself get hungry, in which case I binge on crap food.

Forget cooking meat, though. The smell of it sizzling away makes my stomach turn. I've been eating a lot of take-out ribs with the BBQ sauce scraped off. I tried some broth, but the smell just nauseates me.

My weight has skyrocketed to 186. I truly believe a lot of this is bloat and water retention (and the lovely constipation). I was 179 last Monday. My eating has been crap, but not enough to pack on a pound a day. C'mon, second trimester...
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 09:07
Dr. Atkins was Right

Plan: Atkins (Breastfeeding)
Stats: 221/188.6/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Congrats!!!!

Have you tried peppermint tea, or some diet ginger ale w/real ginger? Either of those herbs can sometimes help w/nausea. (And if the ginger helps, maybe a homemade stir-fry with plenty of ginger in it would help you sneak in some meat?)

Last edited by Frugal Jen : Sat, Feb-04-12 at 09:23.