Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Bodybuilders: Are you a fast or slow gainer?
Fast gainer 7 35.00%
Average gainer 4 20.00%
Slow gainer 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 00:18
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Bodybuilders: Are you a fast or slow gainer?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 07:28

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I don't feel right saying I'm a bodybuilder as fat as I still am , but I read that article (which I'm sticking in my favorites) and it seems I'm a fast gainer for most parts except my upper back. Upper Back would be average to slow.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 08:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Built. First thanks for all the information and help you put out there for everyone. I've learned a lot from reading things you've posted. Next....I think I'm fast.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 09:49

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

It's hard for me to say... I think at times I make gains fast and at other times it comes slowly. I do know that I can see results with short workouts... like 20 minutes... when I have friends who spend an hour or more on chest for example. So in that way I guess I'm more toward the fast side.
I've learned that, for me, diet is more than half of the muscle building equation. When I change my diet... I seem to make gains... for a while. I think this is why I like cycling calorie levels so much.
I view workouts as a stimulus for growth, my way of asking my body to grow... if my diet is what my body needs at the time... I will grow.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 09:52

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

What's up with this poll!?!? Where are all the slow gainers?? I voted average.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 10:48

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

I'll say I'm a slow gainer, but I just started really training and dieting simultaneously. I've never tried just gaining alone.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 13:28
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I voted average for myself, overall. I can gain muscle very fast if I overfeed myself even a little bit, but I am so endomorphic that it always comes with a LOAD of fat attached, which then is living hell to take off in the cutting cycle. My compromise has been not to overfeed at all, and give up the fast-gaining opportunity. I still gain, but more slowly. When I have gotten rid of more fat, I may change my approach--but right now, I just can't stand to see myself balloon up on a bulking cycle when I am still, quite frankly, obese.

Much as I would like it to be otherwise, I seem to be one of those people who needs to do a lot of cardio in order to get the fat off. I maintain my muscle very well on the one or two workouts per week that I do on a fat loss cycle--if strength in the gym is any indication. I have tried concentrating on the lifting and doing less cardio, but I don't get very good fat loss results that way. In the absence of cardio, the fat likes to stick around unless I go to severe calorie restriction. I tell you, I'd rather hit the treadmill for half an hour a day, than not be able to eat.

One of the few upsides of my sort of body is that I have a very strong constitution which bounces back quickly from any kind of injury or illness. I try to take comfort in that when I'm getting frustrated about my slow fat loss.

Emily
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sigh. Yes, I know what you mean about being an endomorph - I think I'm more meso myself, but honestly, I think this means you are naturally a fast gainer, though, which is what I've been suspecting about those of us for whom carbs are a double-edged sword. The general population has about 20 odd percent fast-gainers. I'm thinking there are proportionnaly more of us here.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 14:06

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Fast bordering on average

I seem to be a fast gainer with a low tolerance level. But I also think I border on average. I find that I do need quite a bit of recovery time for intense workouts too.

Interesting article.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 14:22
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Well, if you would have asked me, I would have thought I'm pretty much a slow gainer. Seems I gain fat very easily, but muscle comes MUCH more slowly. But, from reading this article, seems I'm supposed to be a fast gainer, go figure, as I know I fatigue very easily doing 80% 1rm. Maybe I've just not hit upon the "optimal" diet and training yet. I have almost always been dieting while lifting since I started, with the exception of one short-lived bulking attempt, so that may be the reason.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 20:33

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I picked slow gainer, since I have a super hard time gaining muscle and keeping it on. I remember in college taking a weight training class and noticing that I could do a lot of reps at a weight that was just short of my maximum, and that that was atypical. Although I am a natural ectomorph, I can put on fat if I eat enough calories (as with my most recent failed bulk attempt). Switching from a vegetarian diet to a lower carb/higher protein diet has helped. My arms never looked this good. For some reason I don't have the typical ectomorph tolerance for carbs, very prone to hypoglycemia. Hoping NHE will work for me. I'll start induction in a week. Sorry for the ramble.

Jen
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 03:57

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:

me slow gainer
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Very Slow... But going to my targets.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 10:16

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%

I'm a slow gainer ... I drop fat pretty fast, but I have always had to work my butt off to get muscle. Which makes sense, the Ecto that I am.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 04:41
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

The article at bodybuilding.com says in the head:

"...I found that guys who were so-called "fast" gainers were only able to do 4-6 reps at 80 percent, while lifters who seemingly never made great gains were able to rep out at around 15-20 reps with 80 percent of their max..."

This seems in contradiction with the often used tables to calculate your max 1RM.

There 80% relates to a certain number of reps, which is then the same for everybody.

Do I overlook something or is the statement above incorrect?