Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-21, 09:35

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

I'm excited my weight continues to drop, but my measurements and % of BF are not...

Week 1 is done in this challenge and I've dropped 4 pounds. The most in a week I've ever lost on DDF. I use a Renpho tape and it showed a bit of an increase from last week and I use one of those fancy scales which gives % of BF. That too is up a bit. So my body is giving me mixed messages this week...lol.

Off to make a cup of herbal tea.......d
Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-21, 11:06

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just watched the following video (some of you have likely seen this since it's been available since January) with Marty discussing nutrition with Dr. Pran Yoganathan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVBtL-70ww

Dr. Pran provides some very interesting views, but I keep coming back to the elegance of the protein-leverage hypothesis after hearing Pran's observations along with those of Naiman and Bikman. While I've never heard Bikman use the "protein-leverage" term, he validates the thinking in many of his videos as well. Understanding this dietary principle makes it easy to understand how to construct a WOE that includes enough protein to prevent overeating, induce satiety, and rediscover the "fullness" signal. We all have different thresholds, and the objective is to discover our sweet spots for protein consumption. It serves to take this approach out of the realm of simply reducing carbs for better health. It's far more than that and opens the door to consuming important micronutrients to achieve an optimal WOE and good health. Good stuff.
  #288   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-21, 04:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg
I'm excited my weight continues to drop, but my measurements and % of BF are not...

Week 1 is done in this challenge and I've dropped 4 pounds. The most in a week I've ever lost on DDF. I use a Renpho tape and it showed a bit of an increase from last week and I use one of those fancy scales which gives % of BF. That too is up a bit. So my body is giving me mixed messages this week...lol.

Off to make a cup of herbal tea.......d

Iceberg, celebrate a 4 pound loss and ignore the tape!
At age 70 after a 70 pound weight loss, I don’t think my waist measurement will ever go down. I hit another new low in weight and seriously examined that roll around my waist…but photos show nada change. Also with the Renpho scale it appears small changes in body fat reflect changes in water. For the last few days, my water % increased (Southern summer days getting more humid?, drinking more water due heat? No idea) so body fat did go down with weight. Benefit of that scale is there is always at least one SV to claim…mine is still that subcutaneous fat number turned "green". It took so long for that to happen if the weight number goes up, it’s OK

Rob, Dr Pran's gut health views are interesting…and fun. I loved hearing a Sri Lankan with an Australian/NZ accent. And he studied at the Univ of Otago, where Grav took us on a tour and we had lunch! Marty has introduced me to new podcasts, new doctors, new ways of balancing nutrition with health goals. So many nutritional gems in that interview about micronutrients but overarching all…the P:E ratio.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-25-21 at 06:32.
  #289   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-21, 08:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
So many nutritional gems in that interview about micronutrients but overarching all…the P:E ratio.

So true. While there are small nutritional position details that are viewed differently, the P:E principle is common among all.
  #290   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-21, 11:25

My new trigger is now 89...I don't think I can make that in the morning...when my FBG seems to be higher. Have thought of doing my main meal as my first, then eat to my trigger for the second. With my smoothie, most of the time my BG drops alot before my second meal. I don't want to obsess with the BG and enjoy this new way of living. I'm 67 and fat since menopause. I'm feeling better then before January of this year, so maybe I should celebrate that.

Anyone here chasing the trigger with every meal? or do you do a main meal (no testing) and eat again only after reaching the trigger?

d
  #291   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-21, 12:34

I do my main meal around 6 PM and do not test before it. I only test for a discretionary meal, usually near noon. I know how you feel! whenever my trigger drops below 90 panicked I will not be able to reach it. The first time that happened I didn’t but it has been getting easier. Monday I do 7:15 aerobics class and mine was 88 around 1030. It is now easier but it has taken months. I think for those of us with very stable blood sugar from eating low-carb long-term it just takes a long time. Quite a few members do choose to make the first meal the Main Meal.

And post added today:
Quote:
5.16 What if I’m above my trigger but REALLY hungry?

If you are above Your Personalised Trigger, it’s ideal to wait. You know your body has enough fuel onboard. But if you are REALLY hungry and just above Your Personalised Trigger, it’s OK to eat. Still, you should prioritise nutrients (i.e. leaner meats and seafood with non-starchy vegetables), given you know you already have plenty of fuel onboard.
Eating a high protein meal when you are hungry in the morning (rather than waiting so long that you are ravenous) is a great strategy if you experience some degree of dawn phenomenon. It’s hard to go wrong if you limit fuel when you’re above your trigger and only refuel (with fat and carbs) when you’re below your trigger.
  #292   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-21, 06:30

Yesterday I hit my trigger for the first meal. Not so on the second. I had mowed the lawn, drank tons of water, etc...so at 5:45 pm, I ate 4 pts above my trigger. I've been getting severe migraines again and yesterday was pretty bad. I felt like if I didn't eat something, I'd be sick. So, in my mind I'm thinking the chronic migraine kept my BG high and has been messing with it for a week or more as are my allergies.

I have been logging meals ahead and seeing how they look on the P:E calculator. I think that is helping. So right now, one meal is trigger or below and the other just above trigger. I'm still at 88.
  #293   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-21, 03:06

With a migraine, you could use the "temporary trigger" adjustment for pain, which will add 10 mg for 24 hours. If my BG is 1-2 points above trigger, I go with that. Too often I have waited another hour, only to have it go higher from being hungry.

Next week will be one year! since starting DDF + PE. Hit another low weight this morning, so happy about that The crazy thing is my BG is still in a very narrow range. Waking BG was 101 yesterday (I’m not even checking that regularly) and my trigger is 91. Unless it bumps up a bit from exercise, that's my range for the day. Boring
  #294   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-21, 18:31

Quote:
With a migraine, you could use the "temporary trigger" adjustment for pain, which will add 10 mg for 24 hours. If my BG is 1-2 points above trigger, I go with that.

My migraines are chronic. I think since allergy season they've come back with a vengance.

I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. Plug along the best I can.
  #295   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-21, 03:57

I posted this on the July Challenge page.

Note to WearBear...I ended with your appropriate quote again...is it your own or another's?...want to attribute.

ONE YEAR ON DDF

One year ago today, I started the DDF program and it has been quite a ride. This chart is only weight, not the most important marker in our health journeys, but a fun visual of "trusting the process". I have reached a weight below my goal and much to my surprise, am headed towards an "ideal weight" and body fat %.

August 5th is also the 11th anniversary of my eating a carb restricted diet. That day I started the New Atkins for a New You book at 20g net carbs. Over this past decade, like so many of us, I tried 20g total carbs, eating fatty proteins, restricting vegetables, adding dietary fat, fasting…you name it. Read every book in the low carb/paleo/keto/nutrition space. More about my health history in my moderator story. I reached a healthy BMI rangeat 169, but "stalled" and never saw my original goal of 160. It was a struggle to stay at a normal BMI, but easier than with previous low fat diets. 2020 started with a dream cruise/vacation, then directly into pandemic restrictions, so by August I needed something different.
Low carb works until it doesn’t.

I started with the DDF Program but since October, have also participated in every challenge and NO Masterclass. What could be labeled a bumpy ride down, is "practicing maintenance". This chart shows the times between programs, or a pause, and year end holidays. When the holidays were over, I easily lost regained weight and continued on to a new low weight today not seen since the early 1980s! What makes DDF different?…."Just like any intelligent fitness training routine balances exercise and recovery to ensure positive adaptation, Data-Driven Fasting ensures that short periods of energy deficit are balanced with nutrient-dense feeding to achieve long term progress."

One year ago I would have been thrilled to have lost 20 pounds this past year. Never would I have considered a 35 pound loss with a 22 BMI reasonable at 70 years old, but here I am.
"It turned out my not being able to imagine my new life was only a deficiency in my imagination."
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1383.PNG (52.4 KB, 17 views)
  #296   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-21, 04:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Note to WearBear...I ended with your appropriate quote again...is it your own or another's?...want to attribute.

"It turned out my not being able to imagine my new life was only a deficiency in my imagination."

Yes, it's mine. It is my pleasure to see this quoted! Writers dream of such

I am thrilled at your successful transformation. Knowing we are doing our best for our body, which is linked to how well -- and easily! -- we can maintain ourselves at a peak of functioning, is an incredible discovery.

Absolutely worth celebrating! I raise a tiny glass of my favorite pro-biotic tea
  #297   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-21, 09:48

Nearly done with challenge 3 and down 5 lbs. The last two averaged 5.5 lbs...so I might see another wee drop? It's clear that I can reduce my weight, tho slower than I hoped, on this WOE. It's not fair that we gain so fast and lose so slow......lol.

Prior to DDF, I had lost some on the Ideal Protein Alternative plan, but found it to be unsustainable for the long term. After 6 weeks I stopped and quickly began to regain the loss. It was then that I rediscovered Marty (Optomising Nutrition) and subsequently DDF. I downloaded the manual and began DDF on my own. I lost the regain rather quickly and decided to join my first challenge. It's been all speed ahead from that point and with steady loss each month...

I've joined the next Masterclass and hope that I don't stress myself out this time. I have been practicing with logging foods and trying to expand my menu to ensure more nutrients, but it's really been hard. I watched Karen's video on how she achieved her 100% the last MC and I think my last test menu was 96? I struggle with Manganese and Zinc. I can't eat organ meats...I've tried and won't try anymore.

Anyway, that's my news...a few more days of this challenge and on to MC on Saturday and then I may take some time off to maintain for awhile. I'll play it by ear.

Anyone else doing the next MC on Saturday?

d
  #298   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-21, 11:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

way to go Iceberg!
  #299   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-21, 12:36

Great results, iceberg!

I will be involved with the Masterclass, but it is so fussy, and I dislike tracking, that I use the same basic easy meals. I can’t get up the enthusiasm for chasing micronutrients. 80-90 is a good NO score so I don’t stress about ever seeing 100. I do use a store bought liver pâté, or better make my own with pastured raised chicken liver and less fat. I did add canned mackerel and other wild caught canned fish and almost any fis raises nutrients as well.
If you have unlimited, you will be glad to know Marty is working hard on revising the Masterclass for 2021 to make it less daunting. And there are two more DDFs this year…looking at my year in review I think I more consistently lose weight with DDF.
  #300   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-21, 14:10

BF:

Quote:
I posted this on the July Challenge page.

ONE YEAR ON DDF

One year ago today, I started the DDF program and it has been quite a ride. This chart is only weight, not the most important marker in our health journeys, but a fun visual of "trusting the process". I have reached a weight below my goal and much to my surprise, am headed towards an "ideal weight" and body fat %.

August 5th is also the 11th anniversary of my eating a carb restricted diet. That day I started the New Atkins for a New You book at 20g net carbs. Over this past decade, like so many of us, I tried 20g total carbs, eating fatty proteins, restricting vegetables, adding dietary fat, fasting…you name it. Read every book in the low carb/paleo/keto/nutrition space. More about my health history in my moderator story. I reached a healthy BMI rangeat 169, but "stalled" and never saw my original goal of 160. It was a struggle to stay at a normal BMI, but easier than with previous low fat diets. 2020 started with a dream cruise/vacation, then directly into pandemic restrictions, so by August I needed something different.
Low carb works until it doesn’t.

I started with the DDF Program but since October, have also participated in every challenge and NO Masterclass. What could be labeled a bumpy ride down, is "practicing maintenance". This chart shows the times between programs, or a pause, and year end holidays. When the holidays were over, I easily lost regained weight and continued on to a new low weight today not seen since the early 1980s! What makes DDF different?…."Just like any intelligent fitness training routine balances exercise and recovery to ensure positive adaptation, Data-Driven Fasting ensures that short periods of energy deficit are balanced with nutrient-dense feeding to achieve long term progress."

One year ago I would have been thrilled to have lost 20 pounds this past year. Never would I have considered a 35 pound loss with a 22 BMI reasonable at 70 years old, but here I am.

Congrats, Janet. Just when you think you've reached the final plateau, daring to try some different methods often pays off big time.