Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 23:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/191/162 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Haloween...and snickers and reeses pbc's

I would like to think that i am totally under control. But well...this TOTALLY STUPID HOLIDAY (having our kids beg for candy at strangers doors) that we have to celabrate is haunting me and has been for the past month (grocery store advertinsing). I am fortunate that I do not have children and control my eating environment accordingly....next week am going to be with a sh!t load of kids and parents in ultimate party mode! Am already thinking about the taste of a cute little kid sized almond snicker is going to taste....pathetic ey...what about a freakin reeses peanut butter cup....thats all...those two things...My 'bestie' will humiliate me if i falter so i wont....but aside from that what is Haloween? Talk to me like i am 7 years old...and tell me why? Maybe I should "google" and post my own findings....but hey something to think about....I suppose its all about the kids....and throwing it all out after a week!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 00:59
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

My dd is almost 16 and we've never observed Halloween in the traditional sense.

It's a 'family night' for us.

Swimming, golfing, movies, game night with friends...
In my family, this tradition started long before LCing.

Have fun on Halloween, doing what you feel best!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 06:25

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

This year, it's my turn to take our DD out. I like the walk even if it's chilly. Since I can't have sugar, it's easy for me to avoid the candy. Our nephew is allergic to corn and my in-laws have a special party for him every year - he can't have corn syrup and all that candy. It's not a bad thing. I have a strategy for going out - once down the block and back. That's more than enough candy. DH has diabetes in his family background (mom, uncle, grandfather) and thinks cutting back on sugar will help. It will but there still may come a day when he has to give it up entirely. We don't keep soda in the house anymore and that helps.

ANYWAY, don't hand out candy. No one is obligating you to do it. If you can't stay out of it, don't keep it around. I've offered to stay home and pass out candy this year since DH is just getting started cutting back drastically on his sugar intake. If he doesn't think he can be left alone with it, I don't mind. Maybe someone is having an LC get-together in your area??? Cheers!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 21:39
Registered Member

Stats: 220/191/162 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 50%

i NEVER hand out candy....lights off and hide for me! however this year its on a Friday and my "bestie" (BF) is having a party! it will be fun...although Im going to be the 11th wheel...(everyone else will have a partner) WHATever so for a coupla hours will be about the kids....the rest of the night will be poker for the adults..maybe Ill win a few bux!...maybe ill loose a pound...priceless!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 22:09
Shrinking Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/236.8/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:ample
Progress: 6%

For the first time I am going to turn out my lights and go to a movie. I cannot be around all that candy, it is my downfall. I made a mistake and went to a low carb store and got a bag of 0 carb reeses pb cups. I ate all of them(like 20). It doesn't matter if it is low carb or not, if it is candy I have no self control. I just have to stay completely away from it. Good luck to all!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 22:25

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

I have the same problem, especially with anything that has chocolate. If there's chocolate or those Dots in the candy jar you bet I'll be digging in before the end of the night.

I can however resist lollipops and jolly ranchers, so that's what I stock up with for Halloween.

Now what the kids bring home with them from trick or treating, that's not under my control.

My solution to that is, the kids pick seven pieces of their favorites and we set those aside (they eat one each day for a week); the rest I buy back from them by weight (not sure what I should be paying, but it's maybe a few bucks per pound), and then when they are in bed I promptly destroy the chocolate pieces by taking them outside and stomping them. The rest can be given away.

Everybody's happy, the kids get some candy but don't go crazy with it, they make a small profit to put in their banks, and I don't have to be tempted. The only hard part is stomping on all that chocolate. I can't ask my dh to do it because he's just as bad as I am if not worse. So I have to pray for the willpower when it comes time to do that.

Best wishes!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 23:28

Stats: 170/153/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Isn't it funny how those tinny little chocolate taste so much better than full size ones? I can walk by the big ones at the check out and not bat an eye but those tinny little ones I just want to inhale!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 05:53

Stats: 287/287/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

My tip is to buy the candy I DON"T like to give out! Kids don't give a darn, as long as it is edible and candy. And if I don't like it, I am not going to eat it - it will all go to the kids..
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 13:00
Shrinking Member

Stats: 242/236.8/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:ample
Progress: 6%

I don't think there is any candy I don't like. I am truly a sugar addict. I tell my husband that if I go off this WOE he is going to find me unconsious, on the floor twitching surrounded by candy wrappers!