Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-29-09, 13:58

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%
Default My Salute To Karen Barnaby

As I was making yet another fantastic recipe from my cookbook I felt compelled to give a shout out to you...I could not do it in your corner because I guess I have no priviledges there

I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my very full heart ..
you are the major inspiration in the low carb world for me!
and even though I am married I just want to say...

I have a huge woman crush on you lady!

Many years ago when I joined my first low carb board and the low carb world ..I found this site and actually posted the link on another diet board! almost got myself banned because I did not realize there was a forum board here as well I was so focused on the great recipe section...

You really helped me in my desire to eat a very well balanced diet that utilized all the fresh foods my heart desired ..I love Korean food you showed me low carb Korean ..I love curries ..your recipes showed me how to do my curries...I love dessert ...I get desserts of all types!!! On and on ..no cutting out things I loved or avoiding things ..just good eating!

I hate deprivation would shrivel up and fade away from anything that told me "no" to what I love... boredome would win and I would not loose! ...you gave me all all I could ask for especially to get started..in easy format and with recipes I could understand and modify to what I have on hand...

I have your books I have eaten your food in person ..held dinner parties based on your menus ...

all in all you are a shining example in life of what low carb eating should be! A diet based on variety and pleasure with the bounty we have in this world ... Your food is good food ..food we can dine on not just eat.

I have always felt eating a wide variety of fresh foods is what makes a person healthy and sane ..no radical dieting just common sense

so I hope you are out there and feel my gratitude for all you have done

and for anyone on this board who has NOT tried her recipes or read her cookbooks ..wow you are totally missing out ..this woman to me exemplifies the wonderful diversity of cooking and eating in the Pacific Northwest

please do try her recipes

you will find such joy in eating/living a low carb life I promise

how could you not?

thank you so much Karen

anyone else here a huge fan of Karen's please chime in
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-29-09, 15:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, her book is awesome!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-29-09, 19:35

Plan: general LC under 30/day
Stats: 225/155/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I have her New York Cheesecake baking in my oven right now
Love, love her other recipes!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-29-09, 22:35
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Karen is one of the reasons low carb 'stuck' for me. I was lucky enough to meet with her and several other locals in Vancouver at the Fish House restaurant in Vancouver BC back when I first started Atkins. If it weren't for Karen and her seriously good food, I wouldn't have made it this far. I bought her book that night and still use it all the time.

Karen makes low-carb decadent and *wonderful*. What an eye-opener to discover that I could lose weight and still eat amazingly good food!

I'm almost positive that if hadn't met Karen when I did, I would have sputtered out on typical Atkins within weeks. Luckily for me, I got to discover cooking, eating wonderful meals and truly enjoying my life while still losing weight.

And what a pleasure it was to go back to the Fish House a couple of months later with my husband and order gourmet low-carb food in a beautiful fine dining restaurant at the edge of the ocean. I mean...*wow*.

It was Karen who made this whole thing wonderful and luxurious. This wasn't going to be yet another torturous "diet" - it was going to be the best food I'd ever eaten. How wonderful is that?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-30-09, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I dined at the Fish House before I started low carbing... that place is magical. I love Vancouver.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-30-09, 18:28
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I dined at the Fish House before I started low carbing... that place is magical. I love Vancouver.

Me too Nancy - it's my hometown, and I miss it terribly.

Here's a pic from one of my last trips back home:

Oh, and Karen - I made the ranch dressing on page 95 of "The Low Carb Gourmet" for my umpteen houseguests here in Colorado and everyone raved about it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-09, 14:17

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

Thanks for joining in guys I really feel happy to have found someone who makes recipes true as well ..I mean not one mess up for me every thing I have tried came out perfectly!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-09, 19:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Karen has been my role model for what feels like forever (but is actually only about 9-10 years)!

I've got most of her cookbooks, with especial kudoes to The Passionate Cook and of course The Low Carb Gourmet.

She's amazing, her recipes are amazing, simple, yet killer. Can't say much more than that.

Hugs to Karen, and to y'all!