Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 18:16

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 130/130/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Is this "brain fog"?

This is not a terribly new symptom but one that I am realizing may be attributed to thyroid. Does anyone have trouble completing thoughts? My husband will ask me a question or I will make a statement and I can't seem to get the words out. I know what I want to say, but I feel like I have to urge myself to say the words. There is a lapse in my communication. Is this what is meant by "brain fog"?

Edited to fix typos. I guess spelling goes to hell too! LOL!

Last edited by ChristineO : Sun, Jun-12-05 at 19:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 19:08

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Yep...that's brain fog. I was plagued by this for months before getting diagnosed. I'd be midway through a sentance in a meeting and have virtually no idea what I had been talking about 2 seconds before. Or someone would ask me a question like "what time is it?" and I'd reply "no, I'm going to the mall" or something else completely random. I also would look at something like a pencil and call it a tomatoe. I knew that wasn't right, but the words just came out wrong.

It took about 2 weeks on Armour for this nasty little symptom to disappear. I feel 1/2 way intelligent again.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-05, 20:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%
Default Fibromyalgia

I have Fibromyalgia- and Brain Fog is a common symptom. We called it
"fibro-fog". Talking backwards, and getting stuck on words - yep that's it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 08:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yup, yup. For me, it just felt like slowness in my mental processing, difficulty learning new things, terrible memory. The biggest difference for me is that pre-Armour, I'd have to sit an think what my passwords were when I log into my email in the morning. I'd often flub them, have to retype them. Now I don't even think about it, my fingers just type them automatically. Its a remarkable difference!

I truly hate to think how I would have handled this project I am working on before Armour.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 08:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think, of everything, the brain fog is the worst symptom for me. I read things and can't remember what I read. I used to read books and remember all the important parts, now..... nothing.

Sometimes it feels like I've woken up to a blank screen, everything's been wiped clean. My long term memory is gone, my short term memory sucks. My short term memory is getting better on TM, but long term still sucks.

Very frustrating!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo and Keto
Stats: 224/215/147 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Wow! I have brain fog too!

I realised that it was the Thyroid problem that left me losing concentration and with a lack motivation, but I have been struggling finishing a sentence during conversations for about 2 years now and thought it was that I was losing confidence.

I also tend to drift off in to my own little world a lot and don't notice if people are talking to me - is this brain fog too? (or am I also getting deaf?)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 15:14

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummy
Wow! I have brain fog too!

I realised that it was the Thyroid problem that left me losing concentration and with a lack motivation, but I have been struggling finishing a sentence during conversations for about 2 years now and thought it was that I was losing confidence.

I also tend to drift off in to my own little world a lot and don't notice if people are talking to me - is this brain fog too? (or am I also getting deaf?)

I think so... brain fog also caused me to be unable to concentrate. I'd blink and be sidetracked
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 15:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I just thought I was losing IQ with age, it was thyroid. I'm glad to have back my wittiness again!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Part of my self-thyroid test is a memory check. When my thyroid first became low, if someone walked by me and said hi at work, I wouldn't say anything back because I could not recall one single persons name. I went on thyroid and could remember all of them. Went off thyroid memory went again. Went back on and my memory came back. Also my reflexes got really slow and I had to be careful when driving when I was low.