Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 13:27

Plan:
Stats: 210/197/130
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation hi i am new, and a question

Hi, I have recently begun working on my weight (i've lost 13 pounds in about 4 weeks)

How many carbs a day is considered a low carb diet? and also how many calories do you have to burn to lose a pound of fat? if anyone knows the answers to these i would really appriciate it, also if there is a web site that gives out info like this could you please post it? or if that is against the rules of this board could you please email it to me? Thanks cowgirl33
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 09:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Cowgirl, welcome aboard.

Have you read any book low-carbing? Websites provide plenty of information (check our Tips section) but they are no substitute for important details that cannot be covered in a web page.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 10:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi cowgirl,

Welcome to the board! 14 pounds is a great start.

The best thing you can do for yourself is read Protein Power or Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. I'm not trying to withhold information from you, I just want you to be very successful on a low carb plan. These books will give you the information needed to be successful.

The amount of carbohydrates an individual can consume and still lose weight depends on the individual, anywhere from 20 to 30 grams is the norm, but it can go higher than that.

Low-carbing is not necessarily calorie restrictive, but it can depend on the individuals metabolim. When following a plan properly, we never have to go hungry. High fiber vegetables, protein and "good fats" make up a low-carb way of eating.

Read a book, and keep coming back with questions!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 12:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcom cowgirl. you're doing really well with your weightloss efforts! are you following a lowcarb plan? i'm echoing karen and wa'il, read the books. i'd suggest reading both atkins and eades books. hope to hear more from you!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 23:45

Plan:
Stats: 210/197/130
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the welcomes!! I am sort of low-carbing, I have pretty much cut back on fat and carbs, I was eating a lot of fruit but then I realized that with all fo the carbs that I was geting grom the fruit that my body was burning that for energy and not my stored fat, so I have cut back on fat and carbs so that when I work out i burn stored fat, It is hard though because if something is low in fat it usually has high carbs, I have found a few things though, grapefruit and tuna fish, NOT TOGETHER !!! but they both seem pretty low in both catagories. Thanks for the support another 2 pounds gone!!!!!!! Cowgirl33
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-01, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Hi, Cowgirl!

You've done very well on your 'personal' plan so far, but if you wan't to continue low carbing.....read a book!

First, it's not necessary to cut back on fats on a low carb diet (you CAN, but it's not necessary). Sounds hard to believe, but fats can fill you up and add variety to your diet without making you gain weight. After all, can you live on tuna and grapefruit long-term? I sure couldn't, and as soon as you get bored and go back to your previous way of eating, you'll gain again. That'd be a shame, after all your hard work!

There's plenty of delicious, satisfying, food you can eat on a low-carb diet, which will enable you to stick to your plan and lose weight long term. We're here to support you, but .... read the book!!!!!

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-01, 09:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi cowgirl,

In wholeheartedly taking on this WOE properly, you learn a new way of eating that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Low carbing is not so much a diet, but a way-of-life.

Just like the old way of eating made and kept you fat, the new way will make and keep you thin. You're training yourself with good eating habits.

As Rachel pointed out, Low-carb is not necassarily low-fat. And I too, couldn't live with eating a lot of tuna and grapefruit. Fat will keep you satisfied. I'm not saying to eat gobs of it, but not to be afraid of it.

Please don't set yourself up for future dissapointment. You owe it to yourself.

Karen