Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 02:57

Plan: south beach
Stats: 338/288/199 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Stalled!

I was so excited a few days ago to be at 299! I was 299 for A FULL DAY! lmao

I have been bouncing from 303 to 307. I've been eating less than normal, but I try really hard to eat every three hours. I've been working out a bit more than usual (re: 15 minutes in total LOL)

Any advice? I guess I can just eat more and keep up 15 mins of exercise per day on the elliptical machine.

I havent been measuring inches, I'm just going by my weight. I keep saying i'll stop checking every day but I cant, its an addiction!

TBH I thought I would stall at around 250, not so early in my weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 11:30

BF:

also I realize this isnt a stall, just kind of a pause, just wondering what is causing this? The exercise, the lower calories?

Do I really NEED to push the extra calories???
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 13:08

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hard saying at this point - probably just a pause. When you say low calories, exactly how low are we talking?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 13:18
Intermittent Feaster

Plan: DSTSS
Stats: 280/188/175 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%

That's just the way it goes sometimes. My weight loss graph on My P.L.A.N. is full of little spikes and plateaus. I saw 232 two days ago and then bounced back up to 235. I know it will come down eventually, and changing things or exercising won't make a bit of difference.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 02:46

BF:

Right now I'm at about 1300-1600 calories. I was taking in about 1800-1900 before.

I think I need to up them but I'm having a hard time! I just forced myself to eat three eggs scrambled trying to get in my quota. Not eating enough calories, even if i DO remember to eat every three hours, that will really fuck up my weight loss???
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 16:51

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Well - the concern is that if you eat very low calories, your body goes into starvation mode and begins conserving calories.

In Good Calories, Bad Calories, Gary Taubes refers to a study were people are on a diet of 1500 calories a day as a semi-starvation diet. So, I guess the concern on the 1300-1600 calories a day at your present weight is that your body will become really efficient at that caloric level - which isn't neccessarily something that you want - because where will you go, calorie-wise, as you want to lose more weight?

I really believe your calories are probably too low, although I am not a South-Beacher, so I don't really know what that diet recommends - I haven't read the book, and I'm not aware of what works on South Beach - I can only come from an Atkins perspective and a general awareness of what works with low carb in general. HTH.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 17:32

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I went through 5 months with no weight loss, but I was losing inches the whole time. Don't just look at the scale. MEASURE too!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 12:50

BF:

Measured the other day. Gonna measure again today!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 12:59

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

and measure your food too... are you guilty of carb creep?
are you really writing down everything?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 200/200/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Are you getting enough water? You say that you have increased your exercise? If you don't drink enough water, then your body will retain what it has to prevent dehydration. If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Drink before that happens.
Also, as you increase your exercise, you increase your muscles. 1. Muscles weigh more than fat. 2. Muscles store water.
And, being female, don't forget the TOM factor.
As mentioned above, measure-measure-measure. If your scale doesn't move, seeing 1/2 inch or more gone will make you smile.
No matter what, you are doing AWESOME!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 03:02

BF:

Thank you curly!!!! I am so happy with my body right now, I look at myself in the mirror and really notice the loss!!

I drink SO much water. Like, at least 6 bottles a day and then like 3 bottles of green tea. I am always drinking, no matter where I am hehe.

I am keeping track of what I eat, I am trying to maintain around 1800-1900 calories. It's tough for me to force myself to eat ENOUGH. Definitely I'm not cheating or overeating, thats for sure. If I was, I wouldnt be so baffled!

yesterday, I was down to 284. Very frustrating, I cant understand why it keeps going up and down so drastically all in the SAME DAY! I am on my period right now, but surprised I dropped in weight.