Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-21, 07:45

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Is keto tipping to the mainstream?

Quote:

Is keto tipping to the mainstream? ‘I cannot remember an underground buzz like the one ketogenic is sowing’

Keto has long been tipped as the next big diet trend. But, while it has found favour in the US, consumers this side of the pond have been slower on the uptake. Could 2021 be a breakthrough year for ketogenic food in Europe?
Due to copyright reasons, I'm unable to copy and paste the article, so please click on the below to read the article in full:

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Artic...genic-is-sowing
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-21, 08:11

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

"Keto" is the big word, but I've found that most people don't really know what it means. For some, it means "all fat all the time doesn't-matter how much you eat, but the more fat the better."
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-21, 09:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I've found the same thing, keto to celebrities and to the health conscious who take time to comb through the utter BS that masquerades as nutritional information, is one thing, but to most it isn't well understood. It's even not understood well by those well-known nutrition advocates who tout Bulletproof coffee, eating sticks of butter, fat bombs and the like. I'm inclined to place keto into the category of dietary terms like The Mediterranean Diet and Plant-based Diet. Based on the names being so broad, it's easy to say anything is part of these diets and be correct. That doesn't mean they are healthy, and I strongly believe the "Ketogenic Diet" is a candidate for abuse as well. For example, in most cases when keto is described, it's described as a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. I guess that would be true, but one can be "ketogenic" by starting from a low carb approach and eating moderate fat and high protein. One can still be producing endogenous ketones by eating with a lower fat approach. I believe the high fat had its roots in the keto diet for children with epilepsy and other health issues. It's claimed that emphasizing healthy fats improves satiety, but I get more satiated from higher amounts of protein. Just my 2 cents/ pence on the topic.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 08:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
For example, in most cases when keto is described, it's described as a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb.

This is so ill-defined as to be meaningless. In the worst of my low-fat, vegetarian, pass-me-another-rice-cake spell; I ate less than 25 grams of fat a day.

On the Keto that works for me, I'm 125 grams of fat a day!

4 carbs a day instead of 300. 70 grams of protein instead of 30, and I routinely go up to 120.

What's "moderate" anyway
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 08:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This is so ill-defined as to be meaningless. In the worst of my low-fat, vegetarian, pass-me-another-rice-cake spell; I ate less than 25 grams of fat a day.

On the Keto that works for me, I'm 125 grams of fat a day!

4 carbs a day instead of 300. 70 grams of protein instead of 30, and I routinely go up to 120.

What's "moderate" anyway

That's an excellent point and one which escapes most people in that the amount of fat one consumes is relative to what one believes is "normal." Given the low fat craze of the past 40 years or so, we've become conditioned to believe that fat is bad and lower is better. Our normal fat threshold is much lower, so any fat above that amount is considered "high" fat. We need a newer normal and current research and clinical experiences backs that.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 09:34

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Edited to change what I said. I was completely confused. Dietdoctor.com, for the sake of consistency within its website, defined the various types of fasting windows. Had nothing to do with defining keto versus low carb. My bad!

Last edited by Gypsybyrd : Thu, Feb-04-21 at 21:07.