Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 16:54

Plan: my own
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I know a guy who is stationed in Germany. On his anniversary, he was going to take his wife to France for their dinner. They got lost, couldn't find any restraunt and ended up at McDonalds for dinner! What a let down, huh?
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

So many wonderful places to eat in Europe, but I can see how anyone might feel lost and kind of gravitate to a familiar sign, golden arches, even though I bet McD's is slightly different in each part of the world.

I'm just now reading Peter Mayle's many books about his joy living in France, which is mostly about how the French savor their food in a way that strikes me as being more satisfying than eating big servings such as we see in USA. I noticed that portions were smaller in Europe, that I could see my plate around each portion of meat. That was different from how I'd seen plates in USA that rarely show any plate under the heap of food piled onto a plate. Smaller portions, more tasty food, is how I think of European meals. I'm striving to find that in my eating, even as I enjoy a curl of butter melting on top of my meat or vegies.

Using butter as a condiment, as a flavorful taste, as a treat. Yum!

I've also found that cheese crumbled on top of a sizzling burger is nice. Just a bit of blue cheese - or a shaving of stinky Asiago - so savory, so much nicer than that slab of cheese that I used to eat atop a burger!

Ah, what is cheese but really well aged milk, as butter is churned cream!
  #183   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 23:50

BF:
Progress:

My friends have been in Germany almost ten years. So, I'm sure they knew whether they'd like a French McDonalds. LOL

I don't like milk but LOVE cheese. Hee hee. Not fond of blue cheese, though. My husband is the slab-of-cheese-on-the-burger-type-of-guy.
  #184   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 01:54
Registered Member

I'm guessing that McD's uses better bread in France, where bread is so remarkable that American bread/rolls would not be tolerated. Sure enough, I found some comment on quality of food in French McD's:
Quote:
in France, where mistrust of the U.S. runs deep.... [McDonald's runs] lighthearted newspaper ads depicting fat, ignorant Americans who could not understand why McDonald's France used locally produced food that wasn't genetically modified.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazin...02/b3815047.htm
From what I'm reading in Peter Mayle's books on France, eating food fast is simply NOT a French concept. They savor food as a nearly sacred experience. Ah, the French! Bon appetit!

I'm having flashbacks on French butter - so light, so white, so full of flavor. Sigh.
  #185   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 16:59
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I've just added butter back to my diet and oh. my. god. I have missed it so. And yes... I am a butter snacker I have an organic, unsalted cultured butter that is lovely lovely lovely. But I'm dying to try this Kerrygold...will check my Costco.

My butcher makes a compund butter with butter and beef marrow. I am buying some ASAP. I love bone marrow, and I can just imagine it melted overtop my steak...
  #186   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 17:15
Creating a new Me!

Stats: 300/252.0/170 Female 63 1/2 in
BF:TOO **** HIGH
Progress: 37%
Talking

I had just finished my afternoon "butter snack" when I happened on these threads. I often eat a tsp or so of butter in the afternoon to get me through until I leave work. I keep butter in the fridge.

I started "butter snacking" one day when I realized that when I ate the breadsticks, hard pretzels, corn on the cob, waffles....what I really liked was the butter....now a spoon of better satisfys my "bread and butter" cravings completely

Mercy...an UNASHAMED butter snacker

when others catch you doing this the look on their face is amazing
  #187   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 17:31

Stats: 333.7/325.2/285 Female 68
BF:lard/butter/cream
Progress: 17%

Who would have thought that a thread on eating butter would last so long and be so popular? You people are weird!

what knife? hmm mmm, what's in my mouth?
  #188   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 09:32

BF:
Progress:

I would be one who makes a face. Give me peanutbutter! LOL
  #189   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 09:59
Registered Member

Okay, peanut butter it is. And you take it straight? Off a spoon or a knife? Or your finger, if no one's looking? Then you're a buttersnacker too! Just a p'buttersnacker who knows the value of fat without any carb underneath it. That's what this list is about. Welcome aboard!
  #190   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 23:10

BF:
Progress:

I didn't know that! WOW! LOL I like it on a spoon or on revolution rolls.
  #191   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 23:21

Plan: Atkins Modified?
Stats: 148/134/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Butter... Hmmm... YES! I eat butter... Just butter, butter is better as just butter... I Love Raw Butter!!! Go to organicpatures.com and read all about the benefits of wonderful grass-fed organic raw butter... mmmmmmm.... I also make my own cultured butter using raw milk... Again... Mmmmmmm... So yes... Definitely a Butter Snacker here and PROUD OF IT!
  #192   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-07, 00:22
Registered Member

http://www.organicpastures.com/ sure looks tasty to me, with all sorts of products including kombucha and kefir/qephor as well as raw butter from grass-fed cows - oh, melt-in-your-mouth butter! http://www.organicpastures.com/products_butter.html
  #193   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-07, 05:01
Registered Member

I can hardly wait to finish up my current supply of butter - Kerry Gold - so I can get some raw butter next. I'm curious about it.
  #194   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 14:20

BF:
Progress:

*Vic goes to get a spoonful of peanutbutter*
  #195   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 15:53
Registered Member

Vic, the thing about p'butter is that IT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF MY MOUFFF, which true butter never ever does. I still make my p'butter by chewing peanuts one at a time, right out of the shell.