Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 06:14

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Login Issues (Since at least Jan)

This has been going on for months, and is the reason for my low participation:

I attempt to log in, using my saved password. (I hit the login button ONCE.)

I am immediately told that I have attempted to log in with an incorrect password 5x (I have tried to log in ONCE) and my account will be locked for 15 minutes.

I wait 15 minutes, and attempt to rest my password. I hit the button, follow the link in the email.

I am then told that the link I'm following is more than 24 hours old, and thus no good.

I was able to log in today, because it only thought I had tried 4 times, not 5, and so was able to get sent a new password.

I am on a Windows 10 PC, using Google Chrome. (I use Chrome exclusively, on all devices). I have had the same problem, however, if I try to log in on a phone or iPad.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 07:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. We have a thread about this a little further down, and there's a good explanation here. There's not much more we can do about it, it would seem.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 09:42

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Sometimes you can try to get back in at odd hours - so if you CAN login - you're password is correct. DON't Try to reset it after you know it's right, you just kind of have to hit the site at the right time to get back in - then save the password for the site (it's stored as cookie on that browser)

you should be good until you change your password or try to login on another browser that doesn't have cookie yet. You'll notice that the old browser that has cookie will continue to work but you new login attempts on fresh browser may continue to fail until you slip in between the brute force script raindrops
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi. We have a thread about this a little further down, and there's a good explanation here. There's not much more we can do about it, it would seem.

The thread addresses someone who had someone being hacked, with a brute-force attempt.

That's not what's happening to me. Instead, it's reading my single log-attempt as a brute-force-hack attempts, AND claiming that the link to reset is over 24 hours old when it's 5 minutes old.

This IS a problem for the Webmaster here.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 11:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

It's been really crazy today. Multiple times I tried to log in, then I got in, looked at a a few threads and then, it logged me out sending me to a page that said I didn't have access to. Then I got back in by signing in multiple more times. Then I was just signed out again, sending me to that same page again saying I don't have access to. Then tried to sign in many more times until I succeeded and here I am.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 12:09

BF:

I Think I know how it can be fixed and why it’s happening. Pm me admins if I can help
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-20, 19:37

Plan: IF
Stats: 198.5/178/140 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have been experiencing the same issues for the past few days....unable to complete login and getting a message that I have used the wrong username or password and that I have used up my failed login quota. I wait the 15 minutes as requested and get the same response. Seems if I wait an hour or so, I then am able to log in. Anyone else experiencing this lately?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-20, 07:49

BF:

No changes to the method they use apparently. It seems to have a fatal flaw in logic. Continue to try to login with credentials you know are right at different times of the day. Once you get in, keep the cookie on your browser and you're golden. ...until you try a different browser or delete your cookes
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-20, 08:28

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

It's happening to me again too.

Not complaining but posting to let whoever is in charge of debugging the code know that the problem has really never been solved.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the bug.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-20, 12:50

Plan: haven't picked one yet
Stats: 142/142/135 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:

Posting on behalf of a friend that is locked out again with this issue. Is possible for admin to provide an email address that registered users who are locked out by the security system can use to have an admin help clear them and get them back in?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-20, 13:23

Plan: haven't picked one yet
Stats: 142/142/135 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:

- - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Dear Law, can you post this to the lowcarb forum me?

Dear Staff, for the 2,918,524,699th time (it is possible I am exaggerating), the forum's security software has locked me out. I have tried many times, cleared cache, used different browsers, but I have been through this before and even creating a brand new account with a brand new browser didn't solve it. It simply instantly decides that a/ I am bad and b/ I have tried '5 times' (no I haven't) and must be locked out for awhile. But later, it's the same thing. Really it's like it just decides, "You know PJ, you trying 300 times to get back into the forum is still not gonna change this software's mind. Obviously you are a dangerous bot." :-)

The problem is not just the overly zealous robocop software we have here -- and I understand the forum hack/spam situation very well, I have a forum myself in another topic, it's simply horrible -- it's that there is no way to contact forum staff, if one is locked out, to get help in getting back in. The webmaster address, which I have previously sent to, is clearly not monitored.

So I have two requests, because this is my favorite forum, and I would really like to be able to participate in it more than super-rarely when it magically works for awhile (until I have to reboot my computer and lose my login when my browser closes, then it's all over) -- and I would like other people not to suffer this also, which I know some are and do --

1. Could you please do something to enable my RightNOW user login to get me back in;

2. Could you please create a management solution -- in this case, a fallback solution -- for the problem?

For example, create an email address just for help with this, which will forward to staff(s).
A) option 1, add it to the lockout screen message, "If you keep getting this but you are a registered user, contact ___"
B) if you're worried about spam from that, you could make a link to a simple form like in Wordpress -- which could handle spam and require physical entry... to notify someone on staff for help.

Surely that would take care of the 'fallback' need for when the software, which is very problematic, goes wrong.

Thank you kindly,
PJ
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-20, 16:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

If you're experiencing the "5 failed log in attempts, please try again in 15 minutes" error, then neither I nor the webmaster can "get you back in". You must wait and try later to log in for yourself with your own password. Sorry.

We can only help with a lost or forgotten passwords or if an new email address somehow goes astray. In either case, you still have to log in for yourself, we can't log in for you. Sending a bazillion exasperated emails to the webmaster won't change that fact.

In the case of the 5 failed log in attempts .. do not keep frantically requesting new passwords. This just overloads the system and makes things worse. If you want a new password, then change it in your user control panel *after* you've successfully logged in with your current one. Also, do not keep clicking the back button and trying to force a refresh. This just resets the 15 minute counter and prolongs your wait. And also overloads the system and causes more problems. You probably don't want to hear this, but the solution is to just be patient and wait at least 15 minutes, 30 is better. Try closing and then restarting your browser (after 15 minutes) before attempting another log in, this sometimes helps.

~~~~~~~~~~

The problem has nothing to do with spammers or hackers. The problem is our server is very old and on its last legs. The forum software is outdated and likely corrupted .. it was developed before the age of mobile browsers, way back when a camera on a cell phone was a novelty. The server and forum software need to be replaced and the webmaster is currently looking into resolving both issues. He is not interested in any more temporary patches/fixes that solve one problem but cause another somewhere else ... like whack-a-mole

p.s. - there is no "staff". We're just unpaid volunteers with families, jobs and busy lives "offline"
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-20, 08:33

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Thanks for the explanation Doreen.

I'll be patient, and now that I know you are aware of the problem and working on a solution, I won't try to help anymore - as it seems it could be more of a bother than a help.

I'll be patient or at least pretend to be

I appreciate you being here.

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-20, 07:07

Thanks, Doreen.

This is what I needed to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
If you're experiencing the "5 failed log in attempts, please try again in 15 minutes" error, then neither I nor the webmaster can "get you back in". You must wait and try later to log in for yourself with your own password. Sorry.

We can only help with a lost or forgotten passwords or if an new email address somehow goes astray. In either case, you still have to log in for yourself, we can't log in for you. Sending a bazillion exasperated emails to the webmaster won't change that fact.

In the case of the 5 failed log in attempts .. do not keep frantically requesting new passwords. This just overloads the system and makes things worse. If you want a new password, then change it in your user control panel *after* you've successfully logged in with your current one. Also, do not keep clicking the back button and trying to force a refresh. This just resets the 15 minute counter and prolongs your wait. And also overloads the system and causes more problems. You probably don't want to hear this, but the solution is to just be patient and wait at least 15 minutes, 30 is better. Try closing and then restarting your browser (after 15 minutes) before attempting another log in, this sometimes helps.

~~~~~~~~~~

The problem has nothing to do with spammers or hackers. The problem is our server is very old and on its last legs. The forum software is outdated and likely corrupted .. it was developed before the age of mobile browsers, way back when a camera on a cell phone was a novelty. The server and forum software need to be replaced and the webmaster is currently looking into resolving both issues. He is not interested in any more temporary patches/fixes that solve one problem but cause another somewhere else ... like whack-a-mole

p.s. - there is no "staff". We're just unpaid volunteers with families, jobs and busy lives "offline"