Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 11:52

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 255/230/215 Male 72
BF:
Progress:

MerPig, Just a thought: If you've fallen off the IF wagon, there is always the opportunity to get up and get back on, if you want to. While I've done fairly well, I fell off too a couple of days because of severe allergies, so the info I'm suggesting to you goes double to me. I don't do the long fasts like many, just alternate days for like 18-24 hours. But today, just ate, so I'm trying my first 24 hour plus, that is, from Wed. noon to hopefully Thursday supper. But, since I missed Monday, I'm using it as a motivation to get up on the wagon again. Like you, most people want to eat, so I drink to assauge the hunger: green teas and coffee work for me. Don't give up! Just one more thought, if I may. It is hard for me to get out of my mind that exercise doesn't count for weight loss, so every morning I go to the Y also to walk in the cold water. Later in the afternoon I will do something with weight or bands, but I think Dr Fung mentions that exercise is not effective for weight loss. However, I have a mental recording going on in my mind from Dr Psycho-Self-Management telling me that it is. So, for me, I only allow myself to consider it helpful but not more than 5%. Just a few tips, hope they are helpful.

Last edited by diabetic_d : Wed, Apr-06-16 at 11:53. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 12:04
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I ended another failed n=1, went back to LCHF to get back into ketosis, then began 20/4 fasting. I recovered all the ground I lost during the n=1 and I feel much better.

My current plan is to continue 20/4 daily.
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-16, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

There will be weight gain, probably, with increased exercise. But sticking 100% to your plan will minimize it. Add in the IF, and the fact that increasing muscle increases your metabolism, and that gained weight will go. As an added bonus, of course, muscle is so much less fluffy than fat!
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 14:26
Doing My Best

#125   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 19:48

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger

You find those fast Glenda, Thank You!
  #126   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-16, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 265/165/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I found this page by googling low carb and Dr. Fung. I'm not diabetic, so I would never have found it just browsing through the forums!
I am thrilled to find a support group for Fung fasting. I've been doing IF, 20:4 for about 10 days, and am trying to figure things out. I'm getting confused by all the reading I'm doing...whether I'm supposed to do a 500 cal day opposite a regular food day, or skip breakfast/lunch every other day... I understand his November book is supposed to be more helpful in the "how do I do this" category, but is there something out now that helps? I like the IF 20:4, but I don't feel like I'm eating a sustainable protein level when I do that. Any ideas?

Topic 2: I have been doing lc for 2 years. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have been hungry. Any one else? Have I just forgotten what hunger feels like? Or do I dismiss hunger pangs as "oh, you must be wanting to eat for emotional reasons?"

Last edited by LauriSinge : Sun, Apr-10-16 at 14:42.
  #127   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-16, 14:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
whether I'm supposed to do a 500 cal day opposite a regular food day, or skip breakfast/lunch every other day..

The fasting Dr. Fung advocates is fairly flexible. So the answer is yes, and yes. You could have a fasting day where all you eat is one 500 calorie meal, and then the next day you eat to appetite. Or you could just skip breakfast and lunch, and then eat dinner to appetite, have a normal eating day the next day, and then repeat. Or you could eat nothing for every other full waking day.
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-16, 19:03

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriSinge
...Topic 2: I have been doing lc for 2 years. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have been hungry. Any one else? Have I just forgotten what hunger feels like? Or do I dismiss hunger pangs as "oh, you must be wanting to eat for emotional reasons?"

Glad you found this thread. It has been very helpful for myself and I'm still experimenting with length, timing and zero to some calories during fasting

Intermittent fasting has helped me identified what the feeling of hunger is or is not. Mornings after fasting are, for me, the point of no hunger. Then the brain, patterns and habit start affecting my hunger mood - At least now when I eat I'm not dumping over processed carbohydrate into my body. This has been good for my health.
  #129   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 03:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Lauri, as teaser wrote, Dr Fung advocates fasting in whatever pattern suits your goals and lifestyle, Warrior is one or Brad Pilon is 2 full days. He covers the popular "flavors" of fasting in one section his DietDoctor video course. Unlike that recent awful DailY Mail article, I have never seen him mention how many calories one should eat on a fasting or non day (other than fasting is not defined as 1000 calories of cream and butter in coffee). Some of his success stories for obese and sick diabetics even included 3 week fasts. The web archive in post #1 is still the protocol shared with physicians. And the FAQs stored on DietDoctor cover every possible question you could have.

Skipping breakfast and lunch a few days a week is what I still do so I can have dinner with family and juggle the days if a lunch meeting planned. LC hunger is more subtle...the crazy "starving at 10am" hunger after having a bagel for breakfast is long gone, and with IF, you can even think about whether a tea or broth would satisfy instead first before snacking. Lack of hunger is how Dr Westman can tell you are following the diet correctly.
  #130   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 06:00

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://intensivedietarymanagement....egimens-part-7/

This might be the only place Dr. Fung mentions restricting calories at a meal.

Quote:
Alternate Daily Fasting (ADF)

This is the dietary strategy that has the most research behind it. Much of it was done by Dr. Krista Varady, an assistant professor of nutrition with the University of Illinois – Chicago. She wrote a book about her strategy in The Every Other Day Diet, although this was not the blockbuster success of the 5:2 diet.

Krista Varady

Even though it sounds like you only eat every other day, it is not quite. You can eat up to 500 calories on fasting days, just like in the 5:2 diet. However, fasting days are done on alternate days rather than 2x per week so it is a more intensive regimen. The major advantage of this regimen is that more research is available on this regimen than any other. We will consider these studies in more detail in later posts.
  #131   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 265/165/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Thanks for your responses! I tried fasting completely Fri 6pm-Sun noon, and it was tough. I ended up eating a lot on Sunday afternoon. Not sure if I want to do it that way. I feel good right now on 20/4, and if I continue to lose, that will be a good fit for me.

Question: so, if I normally do 20:4, could there be a benefit of doing 500 cal a couple times a week? On my 20:4, I often only eat about 1000cal, which is a bit low, but seems to satisfy me. (LC 2 years, lost 100 lbs, age 56). Is there any concern with NOT eating enough calories? I'd like to lose about 20 lbs to be at goal (which is "normal" weight).
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 15:48
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

One question for you LauriSinge....before you tried to fast, were you eating low carb? I found that the first time I tried to fast, I was probably not in ketosis yet, and it was much more difficult fasting. After being in ketosis for awhile, I find fasting 23/4 hours pretty easy. Probably could do 36 or more, but haven't tried it yet, mostly because I'm losing without it, and I want to save "real" fasting for my bag of tricks once I start hitting stalls.
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 15:57
Doing My Best

I've been doing 20/4 and am finding it impossible to eat enough calories. Suggestions?

For the first time I'm using myfitnesspal, trying to get to 1000 calories. My body temp is 95-97 F. If I go off LCHF I gain. It's not a fun dilemma.
  #134   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 16:08
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I've been doing 20/4 and am finding it impossible to eat enough calories. Suggestions?

For the first time I'm using myfitnesspal, trying to get to 1000 calories. My body temp is 95-97 F. If I go off LCHF I gain. It's not a fun dilemma.

How frequently in a week are you doing the 20/4? I found that I was getting cold when I was trying to do a fast 3 days a week. Now that I do them only occasionally, I don't worry about the calories on my fast day, and just eat my one meal that's roughly 1/3 of my normal daily calories.
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 16:28
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMarvin
How frequently in a week are you doing the 20/4? I found that I was getting cold when I was trying to do a fast 3 days a week. Now that I do them only occasionally, I don't worry about the calories on my fast day, and just eat my one meal that's roughly 1/3 of my normal daily calories.
I'm doing it every day since April 4. Prior to that I was just doing LCHF back to an n=1 which I ended March 27.

The objective of my n=1 was to raise my body temp, but it stayed in the same range for the month I was doing it. Refeeding only made me sick and I gained weight. That's why I returned to LCHF and then on to the IF 20/4.

I don't mind so much if I don't lose any more weight, I just don't want to gain and be sick.