Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-10, 20:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 137.8/134.2/110 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default new here -- slooooow Phase 1 progress

Hello,

I'm new here. I tried South Beach about 6 years ago and lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks (Phase 1). This time around, I'm six days into Phase 1 and have only lost 1.5 lbs! I don't know if it's because I'm older (metabolism slower), or b/c I'm not following the plan stringently enough. I think I've been having more servings of dairy (i.e. low-fat cheese) than is recommended in the book.

I'm also giving in to temptation and having a glass of white wine as we speak. I couldn't hold out anymore -- it's been a tough week emotionally.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can kick up my weight loss? (I know, I know, no more wine!

Also, since I've "cheated" on my diet tonight, do you think I should start over and do 2 more weeks of Phase 1 tomorrow, or continue at Phase 1 where I left off?

Any thoughts, tips, or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
-Laura
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-10, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/243/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 7%

I do Atkins and not SB, but just a general idea would be to start over and do totally clean, including no wine and keeping your dairy to the recommended allowance.

Then, you may be able to more accurately compare to your previous use of SB!

Best of luck,
Jen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-10, 20:37

BF:

Thanks, Jen!

I was afraid of that (starting over), but I guess it would make the most sense. Sigh.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-10, 20:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/243/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Nothing wrong with starting over. Rome wasn't built in a day...or in 2 weeks either.

Just imagine how much better you'll feel mentally and physically if you do the 2 weeks properly!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-10, 21:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabxox
Hello,

I'm new here. I tried South Beach about 6 years ago and lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks (Phase 1). This time around, I'm six days into Phase 1 and have only lost 1.5 lbs! I don't know if it's because I'm older (metabolism slower), or b/c I'm not following the plan stringently enough. I think I've been having more servings of dairy (i.e. low-fat cheese) than is recommended in the book.

I'm also giving in to temptation and having a glass of white wine as we speak. I couldn't hold out anymore -- it's been a tough week emotionally.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can kick up my weight loss? (I know, I know, no more wine!

Also, since I've "cheated" on my diet tonight, do you think I should start over and do 2 more weeks of Phase 1 tomorrow, or continue at Phase 1 where I left off?

Any thoughts, tips, or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
-Laura

Hi and welcome!
At your current weight, you can expect to lose 10% of your total weight loss in the first 2 weeks, so 1.5 lbs so far is right on target.
Too much cheese is not a good idea, try to keep it to no more than 2 ozs per day. No wine either...not until you are finished with the first 2 weeks.
I would not say to start over unless you are up to it...but don't expect to see any loss for a few days until you get all the wine and extra cheese out of your system.

Also, at your weight, your total calories will come into play when seeking weight loss..and it will be slow going so you'll also need to practice some serious patience.

Make sure that your dairy daily totals are within the 2 cup totals and I count my cheese intake in that total. The allotment of 2 cups daily and unlimited cheese as a protein source is way too generous in my experience.

Hope this helps!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 12:06

BF:

Thanks so much, Judy. I think you're right about the cheese -- I need to cut way back. I could probably stand to increase my veggies, too, while we're at it.

I'll keep you posted!

-Laura
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-10, 21:38

Stats: 330/305/114.5 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Since you don't have that much to lose Laura, your weight loss isn't that much!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 14:24

Plan: SBD
Stats: 180.8/144/132 Female 5.6'
BF:
Progress: 75%

hi, please do not give up. keep on sticking with the plan. i lost less weight than i expected in my first week too. but then it got faster. i also eat more dairy than recommended. i just love all types of dairy products. so i balaced it by drinking non skim milk(0.1fat), eating non skim yogurt(0.1 fat) and non skimmed feta cheese(2% fat). So just reduce the dairy products' fat percentage a little bit more.And drink water, lots of water! And one more tip: there will be days when you will desperately starve for things with sugar, like chocolate or cakes... Put one teaspoon of cinnamon in a small glass of non skimmed milk, maybe a drop of stevia if you like and drink it. you will feel your insulin balanced in 15 minutes. Your starvation will go away.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 14:56

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I don't think it is fair to blame the diet when you are not following it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 16:57

BF:

Hi Bob,
Where did I blame the diet?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 16:58

BF:

Thanks for your reply Lawyer75. I'm still plugging along! Even though I haven't lost as much as I'd hoped, my clothes are fitting better and my stomach feels less bloated, which I like I'm continuing on Phase 2!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 18:07
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Hi Bob,

You didn't blame the diet. Not to worry!

Please be careful to not take advice that pushes you outside of the limits of what the plan allows ie: more dairy than is allowed, as lawyer75 advised you. Not good advice as far as I'm concerned.
Stick with plan allowances and as we discussed, keep your cheese intake to a minimum.... no more than 2 ozs per day.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 21:46

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Hi Bob,

Sorry. I should have been more clear.

I didn't really mean you were blaming the diet, but lately it seems a lot of people are saying they are only sort of following a particular diet and don't seem to be getting the results that they think the diet should bring them.

It's not really a fair test of any diet to only follow it so far.

That's why I have recently made some adjustments to my food list. I am transititoning to NANY and realized I was doing some things that maybe were hindering me. And it was stuff that it is the book not to do in many cases. It's my own fault for buying the book and ignoring what it says and doing my own thing.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 13:23

Plan: SBD
Stats: 180.8/144/132 Female 5.6'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
You didn't blame the diet. Not to worry!

Please be careful to not take advice that pushes you outside of the limits of what the plan allows ie: more dairy than is allowed, as lawyer75 advised you. Not good advice as far as I'm concerned.
Stick with plan allowances and as we discussed, keep your cheese intake to a minimum.... no more than 2 ozs per day.

sorry I was not intended to advice taking more dairy or not sticking the plan. I was just trying to say if you can not help taking it, make it with less fat and carbohydrate. Because I can not help it. I just love them. Moreover light feta which I eat has much less fat than ricotta. I just switched them. I don't eat sweet treat ricotta at night but drink non skim milk or eat light feta in the morning.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 13:34
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyer75
sorry I was not intended to advice taking more dairy or not sticking the plan. I was just trying to say if you can not help taking it, make it with less fat and carbohydrate. Because I can not help it. I just love them. Moreover light feta which I eat has much less fat than ricotta. I just switched them. I don't eat sweet treat ricotta at night but drink non skim milk or eat light feta in the morning.

Hello and welcome!

I see where you're coming from. I just happen to not agree with you and it is not what I tell to newbies.
FYI- your choice in cheese, may have less fat, but cheeses like feta and most others are very high in salt. It can hinder seeing weight loss.

When you say non skim milk, do you mean non fat skimmed?

Try to keep your cheese intake to 2-3 ozs per day maximum.
In my experience, its wise to count your cheese in with your 2 cup dairy daily allowance.

The words that I put in bold...if you can't "help" taking/eating them, thats more reason to keep them to a minimum......Not reduce the fat and carb so that you think you can eat more of it.

Portion control on most foods is key to success on the SBD. The only food that is unlimited are phase I veggies.