Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 12:00

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I see grape seed oil is on the bad list. I think that's because it has high omega 6 content like other industrial seed oils. At first I thought it would be good for making home mayo until I realized this, so we make it from avocado oil now. Does Costco still sell Chosen Foods avocado oil mayo? If so it's also a good one.

I was trying to figure out why grape seed oil would be so bad, since grapes are a fruit, so surely they're a fruit oil, right? I was trying to figure out why grape seed oil would be inherently bad, even if it was processed using a better method.

Then I realized grape SEED. It's the SEED of the fruit, not made from the flesh of the fruit itself. Olive oil and avocado oil are made from the flesh of the fruit, not the seed, which is why olive oil and avocado oil are ok. I suspect if we derived olive oil or avocado oil from the seeds, those would be just as bad as any other seed oil.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-20, 03:41

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

This belongs in this thread also: from Dr. Catherine Shanahan's 2008 book Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genese Need Traditional Food .

#63   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-20, 03:59

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm watching Chef's Table on Netflix. Each episode features a certain Chef (and one Monk, so far).

vol 2 ep 6 Gaggan Anand, Chef of a restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand. Rated the number one restaurant in Asia (2015). Tenth best restaurant in the world. I'm guessing ballpark, hundreds of dollars per person to eat there. What kind of cooking oil do you think they use?

At around 15:45 - looks like a jumbo plastic clear container of yellow oil / could it be vegetable oil? Good oil sometimes comes in a dark glass container - dark to prevent the sun from oxidizing the oil. Or clear glass, white oil - coconut oil. They are raking in the bucks and I hope they aren't using cheap unhealthy oil.

Thinking about it, it could be peanut oil or palm oil - both of which are good, healthy fats.

#64   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-20, 04:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Then I realized grape SEED. It's the SEED of the fruit, not made from the flesh of the fruit itself. Olive oil and avocado oil are made from the flesh of the fruit, not the seed, which is why olive oil and avocado oil are ok. I suspect if we derived olive oil or avocado oil from the seeds, those would be just as bad as any other seed oil.

Wheat is seed, too.

Seeds have nutrients to help the baby plant grow, but also poisons:

Quote:
Apple and crabapple seeds (and seeds of some other fruits, like cherries, peaches, apricots) contain amygdalin, an organic cyanide and sugar compound that degrades into hydrogen cyanide (HCN) when metabolized. Cyanide itself is a poison that kills by denying blood the ability to carry oxygen and thereby causes its victims to die. It's not an urban legend that apple seeds contain cyanide; even Snopes.com has an article about it. "The Dr. Oz Show" did an episode in which they talked about the amount of arsenic in children's apple juice.

Pick your own: seeds and toxins

Plants fight back! Which vegans never consider.