Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 22:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default Encouragment in Maintenance

I realize Maintenance isn't visited often....Im nearing 2 yrs in maintenance....Im at goal....and below....today I weighed 133.4.....a lifetime low.....Im 5'9"....I will probably end up near 139..which is awesome......losing weight is amazing.....maintenance is the real goal.....
I can NEVER EVER return to eating the way I did
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 09:49

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hi Deborah,
Like you, I am nearing two years in maintenance, though I often feel like calling it pre-maintenance because I think I am still learning what it takes to keep weight from creeping up.

I hovered at slightly above goal for 3/4 of a year, but every time the scale would show a few pounds more, I felt like I was balancing on the edge of a knife - one slip away from a gaining trend.
I felt my problem was portion control, so to allieviate that, I implemented a new years resolution to slow down my eating habits (I've always wolfed my food). The result was that I dropped to below goal and am hovering right where I always wanted to be.
Now to fully ingrain the habit!

Goes to show that "maintenance" is not a passive state - your body changes and you need to be constantly vigilant in its needs and trends, grooming your habits and eating patterns - probably for the rest of your life ...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 20:15

BF:

CShep......maintenance is NOT a passive state..you are SOOOO right....I weigh twice a week.....and I find I eat better when I am exercising....though I was off my exercise schedule for 2 weeks because I was sick....it didn't seem to affect my weight...BUT it affected my attitude.....

I am constantly needing to adjust...Im not complaining...REALLY...
I think maintenance is harder than weight loss..
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 20:22

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Congratulations! Isn't it frustrating how our bodies are constantly changing on us?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 21:23

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've often wondered if there isn't some way to make maintenance more "fun"--some kind of posting exercise. The threads on maintenance look so dull, sorry. Not like losing with all the celebrations and new stuff, just the same old, same old, got to be a way to jazz it up?! Currently I'm struggling with insomnia and drugs and other fun stuff, so weight is really on a back burner. But I'll think more on that when other things get ironed out a little more.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 21:57

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Many of us maintainers use the other threads to work on improving health by tweaking what, how and when we eat, and getting ideas for recipes, etc. This needs to be a way of life, you're never "done", so maintaining the status quo of one number is not our goal. The only active thread on here seems to be recording of weight, a result we do not have 100% daily control of as the daily fluctuations can be larger than our goal. I choose to work on what I do - what I put in my mouth, how much I move, reading new research, etc..

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Jan-17-16 at 22:03.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 20:10
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

thanks for this thread. I agree- maintaining is not passive! I wish my body would stop changing too- but it does.
I don't post in the weighing thread- that is not my goal or my motivation and I felt that posting there was not right for me.

I do read lots of posts here, and I post on the CAD/CALP threads both for my accountability and to help others- also part of maintenance plan.

I like what deirdra said- I also choose.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 23:24

BF:

Maintaining isn't for wimps!!!!

What weight....sz goals do you have for maintenance..

Im at a lifetime low.....due to meds Im taking for awhile...my goal is to stay between 137-142 for another yr...
To have great bloodwork...and to exercise 300 min a week for the next year
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 03:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

You really have to embrace this way of eating and see it as normal. The one thing I have found in maintenance is that there is nothing to strive for - no more weight loss, no smaller clothes or radical changes - its just all normal - I actually miss the thrill of trying on smaller clothes lol

Jo xxx
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 05:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Many of us maintainers use the other threads to work on improving health by tweaking what, how and when we eat, and getting ideas for recipes, etc. This needs to be a way of life, you're never "done", so maintaining the status quo of one number is not our goal. The only active thread on here seems to be recording of weight, a result we do not have 100% daily control of as the daily fluctuations can be larger than our goal. I choose to work on what I do - what I put in my mouth, how much I move, reading new research, etc..

I don't find maintaining to be very difficult. I do what Deirdre does, pay attention to what I put in my mouth. For me that has become almost second nature.. The biggest changes for me this past year are intermittent fasting and a walking program. I now eat 2 meals a day, fast 16 hours a day and walk 10,000+ steps a day. I let my weight do what it is going to do, not stepping on the scale every day. If I saw my weight starting to go up consistently (not normal fluctuations) I would adjust my eating n some way, but beyond that I try to relax about all of this, tweak here and there if it seems to make sense, and not obsess.

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-16, 12:03
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
You really have to embrace this way of eating and see it as normal. The one thing I have found in maintenance is that there is nothing to strive for - no more weight loss, no smaller clothes or radical changes - its just all normal - I actually miss the thrill of trying on smaller clothes lol

Jo xxx

I am actually looking forward to that coming to an end. I'm down 10 pant sizes in the past 2 years (2 inches per size). I'm just now starting to buy 'goal size' clothes that will remain in my wardrobe for more than a month or two. But who knows, when it is all over - perhaps I will miss that shrinking out of my clothes feeling.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-16, 18:41

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Thanks for this thread. I'm close to goal, and have been thinking about the road beyond losing, a lot.

It's good to hear chat among those who have been on that road for some time.

I am fairly sure I won't be changing sizes much, either. Probably down to a 6 in jeans, but small tops will still fit me in ten pounds. There'll just be a little less belly under them.

It's still nice to grab an armful of size 8 dresses, and choose the one that looks the nicest, rather than the one that "makes me look the slimmest".

My weight loss is slow, so it will probably be at least several months before I join your esteemed group. It's good to see so many of you are sticking around this forum.

So many come here with barely any hope in their hearts, just willing to give this a try, after so much failure. Seeing what the results of sticking with it look like is huge for them!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 12:03

BF:

Love reading the posts!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 16:55

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I stick around the lowcarbers forum for a variety of reasons:

a) I love forums
b) I am in this for the health reasons and I find the studies and links posted and discussed here are priceless.
c) I am constantly re-inspired by other peoples weight loss journeys and successes
d) recipes, food ideas, info on sweeteners (I still use them and am on the fence about breaking that habit) - all good

As I mentioned before, I find maintenance to be an active and conscious excersise (probably since I am fairly new at it), so I still need a community like this one!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 20:52

BF:

I need to hear the voices of those who have stayed true...who have maintained through the years....that's the secret of success over time...losing isn't the gaol...maintaining is