Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-19, 08:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Primal Kitchen Sauces

I have long been a fan of Mark Sisson and his Daily Apple site. His avocado oil mayo is my favorite. And now I’ve tried his Golden BBQ sauce.

My yum.

Panfried a pound of ground pork, topped with sauce, topped with low carb coleslaw. The mustardy vinegar quality of the sauce hit that sweet & sour angle just right. And so easy, too; which is exactly what I need right now.

I got it in a 3 pack with classic BBQ and steak sauce. Will report further.

And it looks like OMAD because I ate the whole thing for late breakfast. A keeper.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-20, 17:44

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I find the avocado oil mayo is pretty salty to my taste, but I'm willing to work around that to avoid the soybean oil in other brands. I can't make my own, it never turns out and ends up wasting so much olive oil.

I do love the salad dressings. The Thousand Island doesn't taste like Thousand Island to me, but is really good. The Green Godess too.

I haven't tried the other products yet. I still have plenty of G. Hughes BBQ sauce to use up first.

I did notice that one has to make sure to read the labels as some do have honey/carbs in them.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-20, 04:44

BF:

I did try the cocktail sauce, but it just didn't work. It was good, but it wasn't cocktail sauce

Made a fine BBQ type sauce on pork, though.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-20, 12:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I was just about to start a thread to ask about avocado mayo. Have either of you tried Sir Kensington's? I tried it and disliked it. It had this weird bite to it... maybe Dijon mustard, but I'm not sure. How does Primal Kitchen compare? I'd be willing to shell out for PK, as long as it doesn't taste like SK's. I've never tried plain avocado oil, but with avocados being pretty bland, I can't imagine it having a 'bite' to it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-20, 12:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I was just about to start a thread to ask about avocado mayo. Have either of you tried Sir Kensington's? I tried it and disliked it. It had this weird bite to it... maybe Dijon mustard, but I'm not sure.

I looked up the ingredients for Sir Kensington's. The stuff in bold is why I didn't buy it. The stuff in italics is why you don't like it

Quote:
Sunflower Oil, Certified Humane Free Range Egg Yolks, Water, Organic Lemon Juice, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Fair Trade Organic Cane Sugar, Mustard Flour, Black Pepper, Citric Acid

To me the Primal Kitchen mayo tasted like mayo. And I was a Hellman's fan.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-20, 14:10

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I was just about to start a thread to ask about avocado mayo. Have either of you tried Sir Kensington's? I tried it and disliked it. It had this weird bite to it... maybe Dijon mustard, but I'm not sure. How does Primal Kitchen compare? I'd be willing to shell out for PK, as long as it doesn't taste like SK's. I've never tried plain avocado oil, but with avocados being pretty bland, I can't imagine it having a 'bite' to it.
I actually like the Sir Kensington Avocado oil mayo. I like the Choice Foods brand also. I tried the Primal Foods brand and I totally LOATHED it. I hate to waste food but after my first try it went right into the trash. The texture was really creepy. Sadly nothing compares to my beloved Duke's but Sir Kensington is the one I can handle best.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-20, 14:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I looked up the ingredients for Sir Kensington's. The stuff in bold is why I didn't buy it. The stuff in italics is why you don't like it
Well the Sir Kensington brand I bought was pure avocado oil.

Quote:
Avocado Oil, Certified Humane Free Range Egg Yolks, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Lime Juice Concentrate, Mustard Flour, Mustard Extract, Black Pepper, Lime Oil.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-20, 11:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Primal Kitchen now has frozen meals! Very pricey, so I did not buy ($7.50 for what seemed like a very light box. The chicken pesto ingredients looked fine. I didn't examine the chicken curry, but nothing alarming on the front of the box. The beef barley says it all in the title, so I did not even pick up the box.

I typically don't do frozen dinners, no matter how low carb friendly, because I don't find them filling. However, I always look because they would make a good emergency quick meal.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-20, 17:22

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Got to get me some ketchup!

Primal Kitchen ketchup ingredients:

Organic Tomato Concentrate, Organic Balsamic Vinegar, Less than 2% of Salt, Organic Onion Powder, Organic Garlic Powder, Organic Spices
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-20, 08:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Well the Sir Kensington brand I bought was pure avocado oil.

Doh! I thought I looked and it was a mix of oils in the health food store.

In any case, I am very careful in the health food store, as they lean vegan which means tons of added SUGAR.

Which isn't healthy, but there you go.

Honestly, everyone's tastebuds vary so much it doesn't matter who likes it. It only matters if WE like it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-20, 01:53

BF:

The PK ketchup is a godsend. Now I've got to see which is cheaper - Amazon or Whole Foods lol. Going to try the marinara sauce(s) next.

_
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-20, 10:22

BF:

I just ordered some Primal Kitchen ketchup from amazon! Yeah it was cheaper from Whole Foods but I haven’t been inside a store since early March and only get curbside pickup, and Whole Foods doesn’t offer curbside pickup. Only in-store shopping or delivery. Well as I said I don’t go inside stores these days. I did get a Whole Foods delivery once which requires a minimum $35 order, and between the delivery fee and the tip for the deliverer it ended up being more expensive than amazon. So this time I just bit the bullet and ordered from amazon.

It was Prime and would be delivered tomorrow but after I submitted the Buy Now button it said it would arrive on Nov. 2.

I sometimes get amazon orders the same day (if I order early) or next day as there are two amazon fullfillment centers within about 30 minutes of my house, but I guess this ketchup is not stocked there 😉.

The trick will be to see if the grandkids will like it since they use more ketchup than I actually do.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-20, 00:34

BF:

Whole Foods was one of the first places I restarted in store shopping, especially when they instituted opening 1 hour early for seniors only.

For the ketchup, Amazon is two for $6.89, Whole Foods sells one for $5.99. Marinara on Amazon is $8.58 for one, Whole Foods $8.99.

A little savings I guess.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-20, 16:51

BF:

Well my Primal Kitchen ketchup arrived and I had some with my breakfast yesterday. It was great! Just what I've always wanted in a ketchup. No sugar, no sweeteners.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-05-20, 10:53

BF:

<duplicate>