Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-21, 05:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Do you see tabs that read Hunger Training? There are four more sheets after Baselining. On Google sheets, there was a symbol that looked like a hamburger with an extra layer. When you switch to Hunger training, the trigger does not go down at least until 5 days recorded, mine took more than a week to lower.

NOTE: Next DDF starts March 6th according to moderator of this challenge. Which overlaps with end of NO.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-21, 12:50

There will be three of the 6 week Nutrient Optimization Masterclasses this year: Feb 6, May 22 and August 14.

When you sign up and pay the fee, there is a link to the new Facebook page for this Masterclass. The entire manual (if you like reading ahead ) and what is required to start. There are two Units to complete before Feb 6!...linking Cronometer to a new web-based app Nutrient Optimizer!

Many posts already

Your diet doesn’t need a name or a belief system, just nutrients!-Marty Kendall

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-22-21 at 07:13.
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-21, 09:09

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm in for the NO master class - lots of facebook action. Reviewing 2 units (not yet)

Janet, do you just go get the standard Cronometer app? I think I signed up for that once bun never used it. Jean (cotonpal) uses it I think. I'll see if I can dig my login info up.

Stoked to be putting some time into this - i've never really paid attention to micro nutrients or even macros for that matter.

thanks for the spreadsheet tip too, i've setup and following along with manual solo for now.
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-21, 10:39

According to the manual for the Masterclass, the free version of Cronometer is fine...and I am not going to make this any harder than I need to with even more information!
Downloaded the Manual, TWO workbooks, added two more FB pages, and haven't yet begun synching Cronometer to the Nutrient Optimizer app.

There is a whole YouTube University for the Cronometer also...so I will start there to get the basics down first.
Logging foods, recipes, multi-add. One hour...he mentions enough about Gold features you could decide if worth it or not for you. https://youtu.be/9MKGDlWQO7s

Nutritional Optimisation Masterclass schedule:

6 February 2021 (two weeks from now)
22 May 2021
14 August 2021

DDF Challenges are planned for:
6 March 2021
17 April 2021
5 June 2021
17 July 2021
9 October 2021
20 November 2021

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-23-21 at 04:19.
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-21, 12:29

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The free Cronometer app is all you need. There is a bit of a learning curve but I’ve been using it for years and find it very helpful as is Marty’s Nutrient Optimizer. I am happy to see others here taking the masterclass. I found it very valuable.
  #156   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 04:36

Jean, your long term success was a big reason for me finally signing up for the Nutrient Optimization. Took me a while to overcome my lazy streak on weighing and measuring food...but I broke out the food scale yesterday.

Added to Marty’s blog today: Keto Lie #2: You have to be ‘in ketosis’ to burn fat

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...is-to-burn-fat/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-23-21 at 04:42.
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 11:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
The free Cronometer app is all you need. There is a bit of a learning curve but I’ve been using it for years and find it very helpful as is Marty’s Nutrient Optimizer. I am happy to see others here taking the masterclass. I found it very valuable.

Jean, is this the free app you are referring to?

https://cronometer.com/
  #158   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 12:05

Not Jean, but Yes. You can find it in Apple and Android app stores too, or stick with web-based.
Marty and Alex have developed a new web-based App for the Nutrient Optimizer this Masterclass...so no spreadsheet this time, but with link Cronometer to Nutrient Optimizer ...somehow, working my way through the Units. I just added NO to my iPad...one step at a time.

That YouTube in #154 explains how Cronometer works.
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 22:02

BF:

Thanks, Janet.
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-21, 04:34

Crikey! Did you see the list of participants this NO Masterclass?
Dr Andreas Eenfeldt, Gin Stephens, Graham Currie (Aussie podcaster) Luis Villasenor of Ketogains, RD Dikeman of T1Grit, Brian Lawanda, a Cancer doctor...keeping my mouth shut this session

Looking forward to a Q&A with Dr. Ted Naiman this Sat, Jan 30th.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-25-21 at 04:42.
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-21, 07:50

BF:

Look for U. Akinfar - thud123
  #162   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-21, 07:08

Don’t miss this new interview with Marty and Dr. Ted Naiman. From Marty:

Quote:
It was SO much fun to finally get to chat Ted Naiman and discuss all that we've learned (and had to unlearn) over the last five years. Ted has done heaps of interviews and podcasts about what he now believes, so I wanted to dig behind the memes to understand how he has changed what he believes. We covered: - Why he now believes the Carb Insulin Hypothesis is dead. - What does insulin really do? - The Personal Fat Threshold - Energy Toxicity - Protein Leverage - Food quality - Nutrient density - The limitations of extended fasting. - The most common advice that he gives his patients that works every time. - Advice for someone just starting on their journey? - What Ted's daily eating routine looks. - Does Ted take supplements? - What are the top five foods you eat most often? - How do you motivate clients when they are not able to comply fully? - Thoughts on biohacking? - Ted's dreams for the future of nutrition. I hope you have as much fun listening in as we did chatting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilduzDTFUlQ

https://www.facebook.com/optimising...476049725953449

Ted's thread https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...t=483930&page=7

Results of my second challenge this month, almost six months total. Another two pounds from where I left off before Christmas..but finally! Waking BG is more often under 100 and I lost a half inch from waist so back to a waist:height of .5. My BG ranges are still flat-line but lower. DDF is almost unnecessary, my BG drops so slowly from waking, and 8 times out of 10, the trigger to eat is at noon. My plan for the Nutrient Optimization is eat at 12 and 6pm, put away the BG meter for the next six weeks.

Marty is working on an article about metabolic flexibility, so maybe during this week's break I may eat a potato

Looking forward to starting Masterclass, I’ve been practicing with Cronometer and have some foods that were complicated now in the recipe box.

Keto Lie #3: You should eat more fat to burn more body fat.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...-more-body-fat/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Feb-01-21 at 03:59.
  #163   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-21, 08:02

BF:

Nice Update. I'm going to start working the Units and practice Cronometer this week as well.

My BG moves around with the AMOUT I eat, especially later - If I eat too late, it takes some time to get back to trigger and I have to skip breakfast, which kind of makes me eat later and that can continue the cycle - trying, slowly to move my eating window forward in the day - also thinking about packing food and BG meter so if I'm hungry out there, I can stop and eat and maybe have a smaller dinner. Fun stuff.
  #164   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-21, 10:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Results of my second challenge this month, almost six months total. Another two pounds from where I left off before Christmas..but finally! Waking BG is more often under 100 and I lost a half inch from waist so back to a waist:height of .5. My BG ranges are still flat-line but lower. DDF is almost unnecessary, my BG drops so slowly from waking, and 8 times out of 10, the trigger to eat is at noon.

Excellent. Similar to my metrics when I did the 3-day baseline. I've been eating 2 meals/day for quite a while, and it was nice to record my BG and conclude that what I have been doing is making me very insulin sensitive. My first meal is usually at noon, and I played with moving my eating window earlier, but now I'm finding that as long as I consume my 2nd meal by 5:30-6pm, I'm in good shape metabolically. It would have been interesting if I tried DDF way back when I first went LC to see what improvements have been made. I'm sure my baseline back then would have been different, but I'll never know by how much.

Now on to viewing Marty and Ted's latest . . . .

ETA: One of the more recent articles by Marty compares those eating OMAD to multiple meals and related caloric consumption. The fascinating thing is that those who ate 2 meals a day had the lowest consumption of calories. The fascinating part is that this isn't purposeful calorie deprivation, it's simply the dynamic of hunger and consumption for those eating twice a day. We naturally desire eat less. Consistent with my realization that I eat much less than when I ate "healthy high carb" not because I'm limiting myself, but because I eat to satiety, and my "off" switch kicks in much sooner.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sun, Jan-31-21 at 10:39.
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-21, 17:16

Keto Lie #4: Protein should be avoided due to gluconeogenesis.

Perhaps the biggest differentiator between keto and every successful version of a lower-carb diet (e.g. Atkins, Paleo, Bernstein, Carnivore, etc.) is the misguided fear of ‘excess protein’ to keep ketones high, insulin low and avoid gluconeogenesis.
Ever since Jimmy Moore discovered that protein could convert to sugar via gluconeogenesis and therefore lower your blood ketones, it seems that many of the low-carb and keto groups have been confused about and afraid of protein.
Many keto gurus recommend doing whatever you can to minimise protein and replace those calories with fat to maximise ketosis.
When we were both speakers on the 2016 Low Carb Cruise, Jimmy told me that he aims for Dr Ron Rosedale’s recommendation of 0.8 g/kg protein.
He has encouraged his followers to do the same for fear of protein ‘turning into chocolate cake in your bloodstream’.
Sadly, many of these people, believing that protein is bad, and fat is good, then can’t work out why their weight loss has stalled, even though they are ‘doing everything right’.

Read more at: https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...gluconeogenesis