Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 15:14

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%
Default what brand whey protein do you use?

What makes one whey protein better than another? What is recommended for women who are watching their calorie intake, too? Do you mix with regular milk, soy milk or water?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 01:29
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
What makes one whey protein better than another?
Taste, Price, protein per g, carb level/type added. Does it have aspartame (bleck). Those are my qualifiers when I'm buying whey p. You can find whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey protein hydrolysate, casein blends, blah blah. Some have added extras to try and stand out, but in the grand scheme of things, when you're eating other foods, what you choose doesn't really matter, IMO. You can google the different forms for more specific info.
Quote:
What is recommended for women who are watching their calorie intake, too?
I like to get a low carb whey protein, so I can add my own carbs, should I choose to do so. It should definitely be low fat, too. The stuff I get gives you 7gP, 1.5gC, .4gF per scoop, only 38 cals. Like with everything else, read your labels, and account for the calories.
Quote:
Do you mix with regular milk, soy milk or water?
Whatever you like, whatever fits into your calories for the day. I like to have mine with milk--full-fat or skim, depending on which meal it is, and I also like to blend a scoop into my nightly cottage cheese mix. You can mix a scoop with water and chug it quickly (not so nice tasting, but I've done it in the past), or you can mix it with a little water, flavorings, and nuke it in the microwave, making a protein cookie. It's just food, and I like to treat it as such.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 01:40

Plan: My own L/C
Stats: 225/198/188 Male 179cm
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
and nuke it in the microwave, making a protein cookie. It's just food, and I like to treat it as such.

Sorry to change the subject , Dane Would you please explain how to do that.
Thanks in advance.
Abufaisal
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 02:22
muscle bound

Sure! It's quick and easy and good.

In a small microwave safe bowl (I use glass), put a scoop of your fave protein powder, a dash of flavoring (I like a half teaspoon of instant coffee granules; you could try a little cinnamon or vanilla or whatever), a bit of fake sweetener to taste (I use a liquid blend, but splenda or whatever is fine), and just a splash of water. Using a fork, mix this really well to form a thick paste. If you use too much water, it will be too runny and you'll have to toss it and start over (speaking from experience, heh). Now, add just a pinch of baking soda. Mix again.

Stick in your microwave for 30 seconds on high. You'll get something that looks like a flying saucer, about 2 inches thick, very weird. But it tastes pretty good!

Here's my coffee one (click to enlarge):
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 03:20

Plan: My own L/C
Stats: 225/198/188 Male 179cm
BF:
Progress: 73%

It's worth trying , many thanks
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 12:30

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%

I like to get a low carb whey protein, so I can add my own carbs, should I choose to do so. It should definitely be low fat, too. The stuff I get gives you 7gP, 1.5gC, .4gF per scoop, only 38 cals. Like with everything else, read your labels, and account for the calories.

Thanks for your detailed answer!! what brand do you buy? you sound like you have the exact same preferences I have..where do you buy it, and how much do you pay? Thanks again.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 04:55
muscle bound

Well, I live in Hungary, so not sure if you could find my brand in the States. It's BioTech Ultra Whey Pro, and I pay ~$20 US for a 750g container (about 1.5#).

However, I have friends in the States that use PVL brand, and when I visit in the summer I'm going to order a few to bring back with me.

My friends say it's the BEST tasting, and good value. I will probably order it from here:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pvl/whey.html
The PB chocolate and cookies 'n cream flavors, mmmm. I've heard they make a graham cracker flavor, too.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 5 foot 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 40%

dane, im going to give the "protein cookie" a try as well.. thank you!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 13:05

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 226/196/160 Male 65"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I kinda do the Vince Gironda thing.
I ususally just make a protein pudding using protein powder and whipping cream. Just enough cream to make the right consitency of pudding. That way I don't get any extra carbs and get plenty of good fat in there aswell.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 17:14

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I like a blend of Milk,Egg and Whey.

Dorian Yates has a great powder which contains digestive enzymes and probiotics. Biotest Grow is also very,very good

Beverly international has some very good products as well.

Problend 55 is also great as is Mothers Milk. I think that one is form Cytomax???

I think it is wise to alternate protein sources. While I worked at a lifting "clinic" they used to check their athletes for food allergies and sure enough, if someone relied on just egg or just why or just chicken for their protein source, their body would develop an allergen to that source.

This doesn't happen with everyone, but alternating your protein sources seems to be a good idea.

DS71, I do alot of what Vice recommends as well, but I use whole raw eggs instead of protein powder. I have gone through 100' of tubs of protein powder and completely o'd on the stuff.

As I get older I feel these products just aren't all that great for ones health. They are highly refined,maufactured,processed..I guess I am leaning more toward whole food these days.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 10:08

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
I like a blend of Milk,Egg and Whey.

Dorian Yates has a great powder which contains digestive enzymes and probiotics. Biotest Grow is also very,very good

Beverly international has some very good products as well.

Problend 55 is also great as is Mothers Milk. I think that one is form Cytomax???

I think it is wise to alternate protein sources. While I worked at a lifting "clinic" they used to check their athletes for food allergies and sure enough, if someone relied on just egg or just why or just chicken for their protein source, their body would develop an allergen to that source.

This doesn't happen with everyone, but alternating your protein sources seems to be a good idea.

DS71, I do alot of what Vice recommends as well, but I use whole raw eggs instead of protein powder. I have gone through 100' of tubs of protein powder and completely o'd on the stuff.

As I get older I feel these products just aren't all that great for ones health. They are highly refined,maufactured,processed..I guess I am leaning more toward whole food these days.

Agree on all counts
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 11:21

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

I use Syntrax brand protein powder. No carbs, reasonable amount of protein and interesting flavors. My favorite is fuzzy navel and roadside lemonade. I'm not a big fan of vanilla, strawberry or chocolate powders so these were a great find.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 15:36

Plan: Zone
Stats: 300/280/200 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress:

I use to take muscle milk becuase it tasted so good... but it has a ton of sugar and fat... so I switched to BSN Syntha 6 and I love it... I has a lot less sugar and fat but taste just as good as muscle milk.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 09:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 278/245/240 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Body Fortress whey protein from walmart is excellent. Low carb(especially vanilla flavor) mixed with 8th continent light original flavor soy milk. This is so good that sometimes I am motivated to excercise just so I can have it. Soy milks vary greatly so read labels.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 14:53

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Sure! It's quick and easy and good.

In a small microwave safe bowl (I use glass), put a scoop of your fave protein powder, a dash of flavoring (I like a half teaspoon of instant coffee granules; you could try a little cinnamon or vanilla or whatever), a bit of fake sweetener to taste (I use a liquid blend, but splenda or whatever is fine), and just a splash of water. Using a fork, mix this really well to form a thick paste. If you use too much water, it will be too runny and you'll have to toss it and start over (speaking from experience, heh). Now, add just a pinch of baking soda. Mix again.

Stick in your microwave for 30 seconds on high. You'll get something that looks like a flying saucer, about 2 inches thick, very weird. But it tastes pretty good!

Here's my coffee one (click to enlarge):

Thank you dane!!! I am getting sort of tired of drinking that whey all the time. I use Designer, BTW.

I made this using 1 scoop, as per directions, added 1T Hershey's Cocoa, 1/8 tsp. Baking Powder and sweetened/wet it with Torani SF chocolate syrup.

It came out like a chocolate cupcake/muffin!

I can't thank you enough for your great discovery!