Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 12:44

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 218/196/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Bikram Yoga - WTF!!!!!!!!!

I just finished my first bikram yoga class. It was EXTREMELY intense. It's a series of 26 asanas (poses) performed in about 104 degree heat. It's like working out in a sauna. My heart literally pounded through the whole class. All the effort comes from trying to HOLD very difficult poses. It takes a lot of strength and your heart rate soars in the same way it does if you are doing loads of squats or lunges, with the added facet of the heat, which is intense.

I cannot believe how strenuous it was and I work out about 5 times a week and have done for ages. I had to sit down several times because I thought I was going to pass out or throw up. Felt AMAZING afterwards.

Highly recommended. The people in the class had PHENOMENAL bodies - the men in particular had perfect bodies - looked like they were sculpted from marble.

Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 13:20

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

oooh! Eye candy AND a great workout! Maybe I'll look into it!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-29-05, 00:27
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNoCarb
Highly recommended. The people in the class had PHENOMENAL bodies - the men in particular had perfect bodies - looked like they were sculpted from marble.

(- And how did the chicks look?? -)

He MonoCarb, since I do some extended stretching, I wonder what you do exactly, could you tell some more about it?

And do these supermen do other sports or is it yoga that gets them their sculpture?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 15:30

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 218/196/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Watcher

It's a series of 26 yoga positions repeated twice in a very hot room. It's not really so much stretching as getting into and holding poses, which involves a pretty significant amount of strength. I think it's that element that is giving people these awesome bodies.

It's difficult to tell whether the guys also do other sports, but with the very advanced people, I suspect not. You have to do these 90 minutes classes almost everyday to acheive the kind of skill that they have achieved, so I suspect that bikram is all they do, but that they do a lot of it.

The girls had great, lean and supple bodies as well - exactly the kind of body I'm wanting to acheive, but they obviously aren't as defined as the men.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 410/248/215 Male 6'2"
BF:25% +/- 10%
Progress: 83%
Default I have Done 5 classes of Bykram Yoga

My brother 27 and his friends and my cousin are doing bykram now for the last half year.

Most lift weights and train for other sports including: ultimate fighting championship, triathlon, marathon, and dancing.

I do agree after doing Marathons and triathlons that Bykram is the best heart pumping I have had from a stationary workout including running on treadmills.

I just did the Lakeshore Marathon 1/2 Marathon in an easy 11.5 minute per mile pace in preparation for the Chicago Marathon Oct 9 2005.

I use Bykram on my stretch and strength days in my marathon and triathlon training or after long runs or rides depending on how much hydration I have been doing.

Don't try bykram without downing a gallon of water through out the day before and the day of the workout. This is no joke. You will lose 5 pounds of bodily fluid.

Bring an extra 2nd or 3rd clean towel to keep clean just to use only under your face during some poses with head to the side cheek or chin or nose on floor or mat. 105 degrees with 70% humidity in there where frail humans chase germs diligently as best they can.

It's one of the best heart pump workouts money can buy!

Oh and the yoga chicks are spritually and physically shinny!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 16:24

Plan: Nourishingtrad.& Pilates!
Stats: 190/140/140 Female 5'10
BF:14/size2/size2
Progress: 100%

I have tried it and liked it, but the heat was a bit much for me to continue. Amazing, though, I agree.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 14:26

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 182/182/- Female 73
BF:
Progress:

I've tried the "hot yoga" scene. I tried variations such as Baron Baptiste, etc..., but finally couldn't take the way the heat drained me. Then I did Ashtanga for about 8 months, but it was too stressful on my body. I've been using Pilates (one on one lessons twice a week)for core conditioning and flexibility for about a year. This seems to be the best match, due to the customized nature of the program. I can work around injuries as necessary with my instructor, but still physically challenge myself.