Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-22, 07:06

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

WB - Oh good, glad I'm not the only one who leaves "pizza blanks"! I used to put pizza toppings on eggs too, but now I tend to make a pizza bowl if it's just for me - a thin layer of sauce on the bottom, then load up the toppings.
Or if it's not just enough for me, I make a pizza "pie" - layer the toppings in a pie pan, heat, and serve it up as very deep-dish crust-less pizza slices - one slices is a satisfying meal.

JLx - Thanks for the recommendation on the unwiches, I need to give them a try!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-22, 09:32

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 235/162.5/154 Female 66
BF:276,255,233
Progress: 90%

So, I suppose it was inevitable that if a weight loss drug is perceived to work, that many people will want it. But unfortunately, it's creating a shortage for those who might benefit the most.

Quote:
Hollywood’s Secret New Weight Loss Drug, Revealed: The Hype and Hazards of Ozempic
https://variety.com/2022/film/actor...rticle-comments

In a matter of months, it has become the worst kept secret in Hollywood – especially given that its most enthusiastic users are not pre-diabetic and do not require the drug. It is currently being supplied by doctors and nutritionists, though rumor has it you can also score the drug at medical spas in Arizona. Naturally, it ain’t cheap.

“It’s easily going to be $1,200 to $1,500 per month. If you go out and buy an Ozempic pen from a pharmacist, that’s what you’re getting charged,” Mahowald adds...

More concerning, according to numerous reports, is that an overwhelming demand is leaving those who need the injections grappling with a reduced supply. A second version of semaglutide called Wegovy, which specifically targets obesity, is also making the rounds and seems to be scarcely available.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-22, 04:55

Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

People used to use tapeworms for weight loss. And people have been conditioned to take pills.

It's a case of institutional thought, which moves very slowly. Miracle drugs were a big deal even into the mid-20th century. Because they were actually finding some.

But such a dream dies hard, of course. I remember serious science fiction postulating that astronauts would have a diet of pills needed, and even though I don't want to dine like an astronaut, it's more food than just pills.

Ironically, as a check of my sig shows, I've been ALSO supplementing since starting Atkins. That led to me using things like coconut oil and oregano and rosemary oils, chelated magnesium, vitamin D. Now my array of cortisol-lowering/hormone balancing supplements, which range from neurotransmitters in powder and pill, to adaptogenic herbs -- some of which I actually like the taste of.

I'm not against pills per se, not at all. But miracle drugs came about because there was something WRONG with you, miracle drug zapped that thing, and you were okay.

If the something WRONG with you is something as basic as how one eats and drinks: it only makes sense to FIX that. A pill which corrects for something missing is a different thing; which is how I think of supplements.

Reminds me of the threads we have explaining how cheating actually does not fool the scale or one's garments
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-22, 09:20

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
People used to use tapeworms for weight loss. And people have been conditioned to take pills.

It's a case of institutional thought, which moves very slowly. Miracle drugs were a big deal even into the mid-20th century. Because they were actually finding some.

But such a dream dies hard, of course. I remember serious science fiction postulating that astronauts would have a diet of pills needed, and even though I don't want to dine like an astronaut, it's more food than just pills.

Ironically, as a check of my sig shows, I've been ALSO supplementing since starting Atkins. That led to me using things like coconut oil and oregano and rosemary oils, chelated magnesium, vitamin D. Now my array of cortisol-lowering/hormone balancing supplements, which range from neurotransmitters in powder and pill, to adaptogenic herbs -- some of which I actually like the taste of.

I'm not against pills per se, not at all. But miracle drugs came about because there was something WRONG with you, miracle drug zapped that thing, and you were okay.

If the something WRONG with you is something as basic as how one eats and drinks: it only makes sense to FIX that. A pill which corrects for something missing is a different thing; which is how I think of supplements.

Reminds me of the threads we have explaining how cheating actually does not fool the scale or one's garments

It's true, we are a society conditioned to take pills or some medication to achieve relief. Sad, as some of these chemicals are useless, in fact, many are damaging, but that's something we'll never know until we experience it first hand, as the pharmaceuticals today have full control over drug RCT data including all the information about adverse events. By law, these companies are not compelled to share this information, and they don't. Related to this topic is a recent book by Dr. David Healy, "Shipwreck of the Singular: Healthcare’s Castaways." It's a very detailed read, but for those who want to better understand the pervasiveness and power of the pharmaceutical companies in today's medicine, I highly recommend reading this simply for awareness and self preservation. It's a dynamic in today's medical systems that everyone should know, and its impact is worldwide.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Thu, Sep-29-22 at 11:29.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-22, 11:27

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Simply put, the greed of the pharmaceutical companies in collusion with the government combined with the ignorance of the general populace leads to the situation we are in now. I feel quite fortunate to have figured things out for myself. I lost 125 lbs and keep it off without much difficulty and at age 73 I take no prescription drugs. I do take a few supplements to do just that supplement my diet not replace it. In recent years the only time I have consulted a doctor is when I broke my wrist.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-22, 16:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
a recent book by Dr. David Healy, "Shipwreck of the Singular: Healthcare’s Castaways." It's a very detailed read, but for those who want to better understand the pervasiveness and power of the pharmaceutical companies in today's medicine, I highly recommend reading this simply for awareness and self preservation. It's a dynamic in today's medical systems that everyone should know, and its impact is worldwide.

It sounds like The WereBear Story. Thanks!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-22, 17:24

A new wrinkle:

A man who lost 80 pounds on a 'game changer' weight-loss drug also lost his desire to drink alcohol. Experts say the drug could be a treatment for addiction.
  • Some patients taking the weight-loss drug semaglutide were surprised it reduced their urge to drink.
  • The drug affects the brain's reward circuits, decreasing addictive behaviors as well as hunger.
  • At least one doctor says he's successfully using it to treat patients with alcohol-use disorder.

https://www.insider.com/semaglutide...ss-drug-2022-10

These drugs are expensive and hard to obtain now. If alcoholics started getting them prescribed for them, and they work, the demand would be astronomical. But they could also change and save some lives. (Both of my siblings are alcoholics. My sister is long time sober and my brother has been binge drinking for decades. I would love to see him be able to quit drinking or even just reduce it for what remains of his life.)
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-22, 06:48

BF:

I remember reading that alcohol and B vitamins and sugar all contribute to addiction cycles. And metabolic derangement.

Perhaps clue to how the brain compensates under such conditions.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-22, 04:41

Sugar is definitely related. When I went to OA back in my thirties, many people there were AAs who developed eating problems, especially sugar as a new addiction that had them gaining weight and feeling out of control. I can see it in my brother too - when he starts eating more sugar, it generally means he's going to drink. And while I may have escaped the alcohol addiction, I sure have the sugar addiction.

I see Elon Musk lost weight recently crediting it to Wegovy.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-22, 07:28

BF:

I think sugar and alcohol must have similar effects on the brain, and both are highly toxic in excess. I find my cravings for carby foods and festive beverages increase during the holiday season. For those of us who live where the days gets noticeably shorter after the fall equinox, it's completely understandable about WHY.

It's our signal that the Hungry Season is coming. Let's all put fat away for winter. And perhaps, when fall was the only time we ate like that, it was beneficial, kept both systems in good operation, helped us survive famines and plagues.

The modern idea of disease being something the body does wrong is a pernicious attitude that misses every point science is supposed to hit.

Dr. Jack Kruse's Epi-Paleo diet recognizes this seasonal cycle and suggests more carbs by season, with our lowest carb target during the winter. I discovered I naturally drift that way, indulging in fruit when it is in season, and dropping deeply keto during the winter.

Establishing what we evolved to need should be the goal. With that in mind, it's ridiculous that artificial food caught on at all during the last few decades. We eat stuff our ancestors would use as decorations!