Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 22:43

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Husband on board - but what now?

I got the book "Grain Brain," and after reading the chapter on cholesterol, I told him if he didn't read any other part of the book, he should read that chapter. So he did and is finally convinced he should stop taking his statin medication.

Out of kindness to me, he has stopped eating breads at home so I'm not tempted. He also eats pretty much what I eat. So he's been sort of low-carb. But now he wants to get off the statin he's been taking for 18 years. Here's his health history:

He had chest pain in 1995, went to the doctor. They stopped his stress test because "he was a heart attack waiting to happen." He had a quadruple bypass and was given statins. For several years he was told to take vitamin E, but that was stopped. We were told to he should have a low-fat diet, which we all tired of rather quickly - our children were pretty young. Getting kids to eat low-fat foods is a losing proposition.

Carbs were still OK according to the literature I was given. We ate "healthy" carbs - I made whole-grain bread, we ate brown rice, lots of fruit - that sort of thing. I was getting fat on it, but he was doing fine.

We brought butter back into our diet some years back, but still hadn't learned about other good fats or how bad the bad carbs could be. I eventually ended up diabetic.

Over the past year I've learned how to eat low-carb and I think I'm finally doing it right. More or less. At least I'm keeping my carbs below 30.

He doesn't smoke or drink, he isn't overweight, he exercises, and he's 78. He has had no noticeable side affects from the statin. He wants to quit taking the statin (20 mg Atorvastatin daily) and is more than willing to cut out grains altogether.

But what should he do now? We know his doctor would not advise him to stop the statin, so he doesn't even want to ask about it. Is it OK to just quit taking it? Or is it like the drugs that have to be tapered off?

And what about carbs? Obviously, he shouldn't eat breads or sugar. But what about his daily oatmeal? Fresh fruit? Potatoes? Because he doesn't have a problem with blood sugar (we tested him - I wish I had his numbers!) I'm sure he doesn't have to cut his carbs from real foods. But I really don't know. I've mostly focused on learning about dealing with my diabetes.

If there is anyone here who has stopped taking statins - please advise!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-13, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238.0/238.0/170 Female 5"3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

In my personal experience, there is no need to taper off when stopping statins.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-13, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Dr. Davis, a cardiologist, has been treating people with diet and supplements for years and years. His book "Wheat Belly" and the web site "Track your Plaque" and the Wheat Belly blog should give you a lot of guidance.

I trust you'll google those so I don't have to look up the links.

Quote:
And what about carbs? Obviously, he shouldn't eat breads or sugar. But what about his daily oatmeal? Fresh fruit? Potatoes? Because he doesn't have a problem with blood sugar (we tested him - I wish I had his numbers!) I'm sure he doesn't have to cut his carbs from real foods. But I really don't know. I've mostly focused on learning about dealing with my diabetes.

I'd go by triglycerides. If they're under 100, hopefully well under, he could add in a little carb. I'd avoid grains though.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-13, 09:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I read "Wheat Belly," but with my focus on diabetes. Maybe I should read it again. I'll check out "Track your Plaque" and take another look at the WB blog. I've just sort of scanned it.

Thanks, Caroxx, for the "voice of experience!" I'll tell my husband & I think now he'll want to read "Wheat Belly" for himself. He has a hard time reading stuff on-line because of his bifocals, but I'm willing to print out whatever I can find for him. Thank God for reading glasses!