Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/175/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Question wheat or flour glutin

I was looking for flour glutin today in the grocery store, and the clerk told me that they were out of it, however, I could make my own from wheat or white flour, she said something about 4 cups flour to 2 cups water, mixing it until it forms a gum like ball, then let it sit in water for 2 hours and then rinse it off (what you rinse off is the startch apparently) and what is left is the glutin. Has anyone every heard of this if so, please give me some advice............. Thank you....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Those are the directions for making "seitan" or "wheat meat" which is a gluten-based vegetarian fake meat product, and a lot of work. I think the clerk misunderstood your request and thinks you want to make this product OUT OF the Vital Gluten Flour.

I'm guessing what you are looking for is the actual Vital Wheat Gluten Flour, to do lowcarb baking and such. Either Bob's Red Mill Brand or Arrowhead Mills or even Millstream Flour products (out here in Western Canada).

If that is correct, you need to take this post back to that store and ask again.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 10:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/175/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Wink wheat glutin

Yes I do want the glutin to bake, and it sounded strange to me which is why is posted on the forum. Thank you very much for your reply Island, I guess I will just go to another health food store. You see it is difficult to order on -line here in Montreal, it always gets mixed up or lost at the boarder, so I shop at the local health food store, not to mention the money exchange will kill the pocket book. But thanks again.