Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 15:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default that nasty sweetener aftertaste

Hi Karen,

A friend and I have been experimenting with lc desserts, and we are finding the sweetener aftertaste to be a problem. Both of us are really bothered by it, even in recipes that other people rave about in posts here. I usually use a combination of splenda, sugar twin (from canada) and sometimes da vinci syrups.

Do you have any strategies to cut down on that bitterness? We have noticed that cream seems to cut it really well. For instance, for a party on the weekend I made almond biscotti and key lime pie from the Low Carb Comfort Food cookbook. The key lime pie tasted great, but the biscotti had the strong aftertaste, even though it had less sweetener.

For now I am sticking to desserts with lots of dairy, but would really appreciate any advice you have. thanks! -Sarah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 16:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hmm, I don't think there is any way to combat it, except in the way you pointed out.

My personal preference is a combination of chicolin and stevia. There is no chemical aftertaste, but the full mouth feel of sugar is absent.

When I'm making sweets for guests or at the restaurant, I use a combo of Canadian Sugar Twin and Splenda, but I use half the amount called for. If a recipe says 1 cup Splenda - or sugar - I use 1/4 cup each of Sugar Twin and Splenda.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 15:22

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

OK, I will try combining and reducing the sweeteners like you said and see if that helps. Thanks Karen!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:05
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
My personal preference is a combination of chicolin and stevia. There is no chemical aftertaste, but the full mouth feel of sugar is absent.

Hi Karen:

That is my favorite as well. I made the mock danish with splenda the first time (so as not to stray from the recipe) and noticed the aftertaste. I also tried the DaVinci syrup with the same effect. I just don't get that with my stevia/chicolin. I also don't get that feeling of "having to have more" with stevia, which I get with splenda.

Is there a "full mouth feel of sugar" with splenda? I'm not really sure what that means, I guess, cause I rarely have it.

I'm kind of excited that such a good cook as yourself prefers stevia. I have a low carb stevia cookbook (I ordered from the US), but haven't made many things with it. The cheesecakes look wonderful though, especially the frozen lime pie. I'm always afraid if I make something, I'll eat the whole thing in one sitting. I forget, that it was the sugar causing the bad eating behaviour.

Are all your desserts "stevia" friendly? I have a conversion chart in my stevia cookbook I can use.

Thanks,
Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 17:04
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Are all your desserts "stevia" friendly? I have a conversion chart in my stevia cookbook I can use.

Yep! The thing about using artificial sweeteners is you always use them to taste. The provide nothing to the actual "structure" of whatever you are making.

The full mouth feel comes from the combination of Sugar Twin and Splenda. Either by themselves does not have it.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 18:06
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen

The full mouth feel comes from the combination of Sugar Twin and Splenda. Either by themselves does not have it.

Karen

Karen, is that the same thing as the synergistic sweetness that Dr. Atkins talks about when mixing different sweeteners together?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 18:22
Forum Founder

BF:

It is indeed!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 20:00
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts then Atkins now trying Somersizing
Stats: 122/118/110
BF:Dont know
Progress: 33%
Lightbulb

What about the sweetener used in Crystal Light? It has no aftertaste whatsoever!

Stargrrl
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 00:53
Forum Founder

BF:

Crystal light - as far as I know - is sweetened with aspartame and ace-k. There are a lot of reasons not to consume aspartame, but like anything chemically derived, you'll find the pro-people and the con-people.

Aspartame is also not heat stable so you can't bake with it.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 18:17
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts then Atkins now trying Somersizing
Stats: 122/118/110
BF:Dont know
Progress: 33%

Thats too bad... I dont know if its just me but I just dont find an aftertast with crystal light whatsoever. They must have done something right! I dont have too much experience with baking although I love to cook (Cooking Light zine I just LOVE) or especially with low carb baking but I am going to be trying a bread recipe I got turned on to here. My in laws have a bread machine so Im taking myself, husband and recipe over there this weekend to give it a try, wish me luck!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 17:16

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 140/138/125
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Karen,

This is my first post--what a great forum! I've just ordered some of the chicolin and stevia from Canada and was wondering how much of the mixture to use to replace one cup of sugar (or any other amount). The Wolfe Clinic website says 1 tsp. replaces 1 cup of sugar, but that sounds low. Is it correct?

Thanks so much,
Linda
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 00:36
Forum Founder

BF:

For fattier things like mousses and cheesecakes, you will have to use a bit more than if you were making something with a smaller amount of fat. The beauty is that you can add it to taste as it adds no structure or texture to desserts.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 14:12

Stats: 150/150/130
BF:25
Progress: 0%
Default where do you get the chicolin and stevia

Does it come together.
Can you tell me about this stuff
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 14:30
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Does it come together.

Not as far as I know. If you scroll up to my January 20th post, there's a link to a site that goes into Chicolin and Stevia in full detail.

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:22
Mad Scientist

BF:

There's a stevia product in Ontario that I get from my HFS that mixes stevia and chicory root extract (the ingredient in Chicolin). Nothing else. Go to the following link for more information. It's a longish post (I seem very guilty of that ), but the info is about 1/2 way down.

Click here
You know, Karen, you just gave me a way to use up my bottle of Chicolin. I forgot I even had it. Thanks.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Mon, Feb-10-03 at 15:23.