Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 05:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Dietary fat: From foe to friend?

Dr. David Ludwig is on a roll!

Dietary fat: From foe to friend?

David S. Ludwig1,2,*, Walter C. Willett2,3, Jeff S. Volek4, Marian L. Neuhouser, Science 16 Nov 2018:

Long, long article. Over 100 references, charts, graphs trying to present both sides of the question.

http://science.sciencemag.org/conte...0bTbq3COO_9Hf8s
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 09:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Humans preferentially oxidize carbohydrate over fat, a process that helps to maintain blood glucose within homeostatically controlled ranges. Further, carbohydrate consumption acutely increases carbohydrate oxidation, with only a quantitatively small increase in de novo lipogenesis under typical conditions (13–16). Humans have limited storage capacity for carbohydrate but also have extensive adipose stores, thus favoring fat deposition with excess fat intake (17, 18). Fat is also highly palatable and may have a weak effect on satiation, potentially leading to passive overconsumption

I like this part early on. After deciding fat was to blame, a lot of old studies on respiratory quotient (low respiratory quotient usually means a greater percentage of energy is produced from fat, high more energy from carbohydrate) were used to suggest that the problem in obesity was an inability to adjust energy production to the foods consumed--sometimes they just said obese people had trouble burning fat. Carbohydrate was said to be non-fattening because it encouraged its own oxidation, while increased consumption of fat had only a weak effect. Of course a low carber could look at this and say, wait, carbs might be encouraging their own oxidation, but they're also discouraging fat oxidation.

If you turn it around the right way--however the enzymes, hormones etc. work out, it sort of makes sense for fat to have a "weak effect on satiation" added to carbohydrate. Add carbohydrate to carbohydrate--the fuel available to the body generally increases, since you're overloading the system with excess glucose that must be disposed of. Add fat to carbohydrate--if you're already eating enough carbs to meet most of your fuel needs, then adding fat will only marginally increase fuel availability after a meal. If "getting energy from a meal" has an effect on satiety--and it makes sense from armchair philosophy at the least that it might--fat would have a minimal effect there. But it might have a stronger effect if most calories came from fat--or the system might be more sensitive.

There are studies looking at brain cells that have an effect on appetite. Administered centrally, insulin can decrease appetite, as can leptin. Seems like a bit of a conundrum. An answer I've always liked is that it might just be a difference between systemic and local insulin. Diabetics injecting in one spot for years can develop a lipoma at that spot, calories in, calories out, the spot is exposed to higher concentrations of insulin, so those local fat cells are more well-fed. Same with a bit of insulin directly to the brain--the signal to take in more energy is local, so rather than the threat of hypoglycemia if blood insulin were high, you just get some cells in the hypothalamus that have input to energy intake/use/fat storage being a little better-fed. There are also studies where metabolites/enzymes etc. that are involved in fat synthesis in these cells regulate appetite--which sort of makes sense, usually if fat synthesis is taking place, that's a pretty good signal that energy sources are plentiful.

Maybe I'm getting carried away. I figure anybody with the fortitude to slug through the article might have the attention for my wall of text, too.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 10:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ROFL, I preferred your version!! lol

What I read of the original long version felt like a rehash. How many times will this need to be rehashed before the powers that be move off the "plate" stance.