Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 16:16
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

Good morning,

It has been quite some time since I've been posting on the lc boards, and just wanted to drop by to say hello wishing you well.

I hope things are faring well with you in every aspect of your life.

With kindest regards,

Fred

*dusting off the cobwebs in Frederick's gym log*

Hey bud, it's nice to see ya around. I hope life hasn't been too hectic for you and that thinks are going well.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 22:25

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Hm, tempted to update and continue this gym log monitoring my progress while on the no-carb eating regimen.

Wow, for the exception of Serre, all these names and friends from the past are no longer around.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 09:27

BF:
Default Updated front page...

Front page is now fully updated to reflect training goals for the next several months. I suspect that even if this program proves successful, I doubt my 40 yard dash times will be anywhere near my best recorded marks during my college years.

However, I'm curious to see if I can even come close to those times on a zero-carb eating plan. Mostly, I'd like to see if zero-carb is effective in anaroebic activities.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 21:06

BF:
Default 24 April 2006

It’s been an entire month since embarking on a zero-carb eating plan. So far, my performance hasn’t been adversely affected; however, the true test will come in the following months when increasing the intensity of anaerobic activities such as weight lifting, sprinting, and when I begin to fence in some tournaments.

This morning’s run was again effortless. I covered about 5 miles in 30 minutes running at about 8.5 mph. During the run, I could have run faster; and, after the run, I could have easily run longer. For the period while zero-carbing, I will keep my runs to 30 minutes. I may opt to run faster, but will keep the time static, for now.

I was able to leave the office a little early today for my lower body workout. For whatever reason, I felt very strong tonight. I was able to complete all of my sets (specifics on the front page) experiencing muscle failure only on the final reps; if this keeps up, I will need to increase weights incrementally by 5 lbs. I will focus more on increasing the intensity of my lower body workouts with the hope of building and getting my leg muscles ready for constant bursts of lunging forward and backward when parrying and riposting in competitive fencing bouts.

Dinner tonight is pretty simple consisting of ribeye steak, chicken, cheese, eggs, and a side of fish (my new veggie).
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-06, 17:54

BF:
Default Sunday workout...

Today, I incrementally increased all of my weights by 5 lbs across the board. Historically, it has always been a considerable struggle when increasing weights irrespective of my dietary chosen dietary regimen at the respective moment of weight increase.

I was able to fully complete the weight increase this afternoon, but only with considerable struggle and effort. I’m quite pleased that I was unable to finish the weight increase cycle, even though it was with considerable effort and struggle. I’m not certain if the struggle is indicative of my zero-carb eating regimen, or just the normal struggle associated with increasing the intensity. It will be interesting to see how I will respond to the higher weight levels next week.

I felt very good during my run this morning. For whatever reason, I felt very energized this morning and ran at an unusually brisk pace. I felt very good after my run. It’s during these moments where I have to remind myself not to over-train resisting the temptation of extending my runs.

I’ve only started my wind sprints this week, and had no issues completing 30 minutes worth of flat out sprints. I haven’t yet begun timing my 40 yard dashes, but suspect my times now will be very lackluster to my best recorded times during my college years. Over the following months—when I get into sprinting shape—I’ll have my time in the 40-yard dash accurately timed.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 01:12

BF:

Hm, thus far, cutting out all carbs hasn’t made a noticeable difference in the quality or vigor of any of my anaerobic activities. If anything, it seems to have become easier, which I suspect is more psychological than anything else.

The increase in weights across the boards has not posed any more issues than what would be considered normal for a weight increase.

Interestingly, I felt very good at my fencing bouts tonight. I had run in the morning before the bouts and felt extremely vibrant during tonight’s practice. I had 3 competitive practice bouts and won them all easily. I felt absolutely no adverse effects from the zero-carb eating regimen during the bouts.

I suspect that in a few weeks, I should be up to speed on my wind sprints.

Next week, I’ll have my body fat measured again for my monthly weigh in, body measurements, and nutritional lab work. Naturally, my “personal” trainer (I can’t in all honesty refer to her as a nutritionist) will again espouse on me to adopt a higher carb-eating plan.

I’m curious to see what physical changes if any has occurred during the zero-carb training phase.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 19:18

BF:
Default Lower body...

This afternoon's lower body weight session was much easier than I had anticipated, even with the recent 5 lb increase in weights. I had to double check a few times to ensure I was using the correct higher weights.

At this point, I highly suspect that it's mostly mind over matter; my unwitting subconcious mind wishing to show the efficacy of cutting out all carbs.

It would be interesting if I could fine another at the gym to run this experiment, especially since this person would have less bias on the effects of cutting out all carbs.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, May-27-06, 08:40

BF:
Default Update - The Cutting Phase

Well, so far, so good.

The adverse effects on strenuous exercise resulting from eating very low carbs (about 5 grams per day) have still not manifested itself in any material way. My morning runs have continued at a very brisk pace. My weight training has been steadily progressing as scheduled. And, my wind sprints are now in full swing; I will wait a month or two before marking my 40-yard dash times.

Now, begins my 6-8 week cutting cycle. The past year, my goal has been alternating weight gain and weight loss cycles. The mass building cycle’s aspiration is to gain 5 lbs by lifting heavy weights while eating enough to create a slight calorie surplus. Except for the newbie phenomenon, it’s virtually impossible to gain muscle and lose weight concurrently. The 5lbs will be approximately 3lbs of muscle and 2lbs of fat. Of course, I don’t want to gain fat, but it is a necessary price for the muscle gain.

Afterwards, the cutting cycle begins where food restriction is monitored closely creating a slight calorie deficit. On this period, very low carb is used (even for non low carbers) to shed the 5lbs while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible while shedding the added 5lbs. Again, it’s a give and take. On this phase, I’ll lose 3lbs of fat and 2lbs of muscle.

The alternating between the muscle gain phase (3lbs muscle + 2lbs fat) and the cutting phase (-2lbs muscle + -3lbs fat) results in a net 1lb pure muscle mass gain. My goal is to use very low carb continuing this cycle until my body fat percentage rests at around 5% - 6%.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 20:03

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%
Default All-One Powder

[QUOTE=Frederick] Supplements: No longer taking one finding the constant swallowing of pills too great a challenge
QUOTE]

If you are interested in taking supplements, but don't like swallowing a lot of pills, you might try All One Powder. The can suggests taking the powder in juice or milk, but you could try it with water instead. I don't expect it will be tasty. They make 2 formulas, one vegetarian and one that I think has milk powder or whey in it. Anyway, I always got a surge of energy when using it.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-06, 18:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
If you are interested in taking supplements, but don't like swallowing a lot of pills, you might try All One Powder. The can suggests taking the powder in juice or milk, but you could try it with water instead. I don't expect it will be tasty. They make 2 formulas, one vegetarian and one that I think has milk powder or whey in it. Anyway, I always got a surge of energy when using it.

Many thanks!

I will definitely look into your suggestion.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 20:23

BF:
Default Accidental carb up?

For some unknown reason, this week’s workouts were almost effortless. I felt energized, strong, and breezed through the 5lb weight increase.

This is very unusual for me since during my cutting phases, my workouts usually suffer from a lowering of food intake. This morning’s run was very easy. I’m not a fan of heart rate monitors (due to the discomfort of wearing them), but I did strap it on today to see to monitor my heart rate since I felt my runs were becoming progressively less strenuous. This morning’s run at 8.5 mph for 30 min, I barely touched 150. At this rate, I think next week I will increase the speed up to 9.0 – 9.5 mph to settle my heart rate in the 165 – 170 range. For me, I find it easier to run faster than it is to run longer.

The biggest surprise is how easily I powered through the 5lb increase in upper body weights. It was the easiest time I’ve ever had during a weight increase. I can only imagine the reason being the carbs in the chocolate ice cream I had eaten on Friday night? I just had to try the new Haagen Dazs Mayan Chocolate! LOL…talk about a carb up with “bang for your buck!”

I’m curious to see if I’ll retain this state during my fencing bouts next week.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 20:47

BF:
Default Enjoying my time off...

I’m almost a week into my PTO with another to go before having to return to the office. Being on vacation reminds me how much easier it is to eat well and exercise well. Everything is more enjoyable with time off being completely free of any professional commitments whatsoever!

Suffice it to say, this week’s running and workouts have been excellent. My running continues to be of both high quality and effortless on basically no carbs. I’ve increased my running speed to bring my heart rate back up to the 160 – 170 range. Sometimes, I’m tempted to run longer, but have been disciplined enough to keep my running only to 30 minutes.

My wind sprints are in full spring now. I don’t feel as if I’m running as fast as I once did, but do feel they’ve been progressing along. However, I suspect sprinting would be improved by carbohydrate intake. Next week, I’ll have some sprints accurately timed alternating the timing between low and no carb periods for a compare and contrast.

My weight training has been the biggest surprise thus far. Not only do I feel no adverse effects whatsoever from zero carbs, but also I feel my weight sessions have improved in both quality and intensity. I’m increasing my weights at a faster pace than I ever have in the past, and have noticed the positive physical changes I had expected from no carb and weight increase.

Unfortunately, my past week’s fencing bouts could only be described as flat. Calling it that would be both generous and euphemistic. I just flat out sucked! Lost 3 consecutive bouts for the first time in my life. On the bright side, my inexplicable lackluster performance with the epee is more due to the quality of my opponents than not eating enough carbs.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 08:08

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
However, I'm not sure if this will happen to you, but upon reaching goal and having attained success, there is this feeling there isn't any harm with indulging in a treat or two every now and then. I think the feeling emanates from having attained success, and never noticing a weight difference after a single indulgence.

"Upon reaching goal" is the mindset I want to avoid.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/143/155 Female 5'10''
BF:38%/21.4%/24.9%
Progress: 117%

Ahem. After perusing this gym log, I've decided you need to update. I'm interested in your "cutting" methods and the ratios of muscle gain and fat loss. I don't know if I'm an anomoly, but I am more defined and strong than I EVER was and have been losing weight the entire time. I'm not looking to achieve a body fat percentage of 5-6% like you are, but am interested to know how it's working for you. As a distance runner, I would never be able to gain muscle mass quickly, as I complete too much cardio. However, a regular weight lifting regimen, variety, and challenging lifts keep me tight and I'm happy; but, that doesn't dispel my curiosity where you're concerned.

Now, UPDATE!

Amory
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 22:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoryBlain
I'm interested in your "cutting" methods and the ratios of muscle gain and fat loss. I don't know if I'm an anomoly, but I am more defined and strong than I EVER was and have been losing weight the entire time.

Hahahaha…now, you see why I’ve never kept a journal? I’m the worst when it comes to things like updating.

I opted to begin cutting because I had reached a point in my body fat percentage where shedding fat and gain muscle simultaneously was no longer possible. This point is different in all of us. Hopefully, you can continue both for a very long time.

However, once a person hits this point, it’s very difficult to gain muscle while losing weight. It’s akin to the serving two masters. Currently, I’m at about 8% - 9% (give or take a small margin of error) body fat hoping to reach the 5% - 6% range. The only way to accomplish this is by alternating a weight gain and weight loss cycle.

This is what I do. A full cycle consists of weight gain for a period of 8 – 10 weeks. Generally, I try to gain about 5 - 6 pounds. And, I don’t mean water pounds, but actual honest to goodness weight. During this stage, I eat quite a few more carbs to increase calorie intake while lifting very intense weights. I also make an effort to curtail cardio to shorter and faster runs. During the 10 weeks, the 5 pounds or so of weight gain will usually consist of 3 lbs (if I’m lucky) muscle, and 2 lbs of fat. The ratio for me has been about 60/40 in favor of muscle. When my fat % was higher in the teens, this ratio was about 70/30.

The next period will be a full cutting phase. For obvious reasons, a no carb eating regimen is the favored here, given that it’s high in protein, fat, and without wasted calories. What I do here is target a slight calorie deficit, which for me is about 2,000 calories. I continue lifting weights, but increase the duration of my running to begin an aggressively weight loss stage. The hope here is to simply minimize muscle loss, while accelerating fat loss. Again, the ration is about 60/40 in favor of fat dissipation.

My goal is to repeat until my body fat % rests at 5% - 6%.

In my view, at a certain point when body fat % is low enough, this is the only way to further reduce body fat. Without cycling, the weight loss will eventually cannibalize enough muscle making decreasing body fat % all but impossible.

The new twist now is that I’ve opted not to “carb-up” during the weight gain phase. I’m curious to see how that will work. During this cycle, I had gone from 145 – 152. Now, I’m on the cutting to bring it down to 145lbs, then back up to 150lbs. Several months ago, my body fat was around 9% at 150 lbs. After the cutting and bulking stage back to 150 lbs, I’m hoping to see 7 % - 8%. I’ll post the results and make an effort to calculate the % difference when the cycle has completed and I have verified the results.