Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/208/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Don't want to give up, but!!

Hi everyone,

I would love some advice! I have never posted on a forum, so hopefully I am putting this in the correct place….

I have been eating low carb since 12/31/15. I started at 225, and am now 208. Initially, I started doing Lchf and ketogenic, eating no more than 20 -25 grams of carbs. I was watching YouTube videos and listening to podcasts about how people were losing lots of weight. It was easy to cut the carbs, but I am not losing anymore. Currently, I am slowly reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 (also have 1999) to gain more understanding.

I started exercising, mostly walking, last month. Since I have not lost any weight in over 2 weeks I started trying intermittent fasting, but after the 2nd day I had a major migraine headache the entire day.

So, it seems I am confused, especially since my weight isn't melting off like so many others. I love how I feel, not eating sugars, starched, flour etc. and my clothes fit much better, but I have at least 70 pounds to loose and don’t want to eventually get discouraged and give up either. Any help will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 08:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I love how I feel, not eating sugars, starched, flour etc. and my clothes fit much better

Isn't that enough to keep you going, or do you want to go back to feeling awful and gaining weight?

Lots of us don't get the fat melting off. You hear those stories because they're remarkable, not necessarily because they're typical.

Also, some people lose size first, then weight later. Keep at it and take note, as you have, of the other benefits like how you feel.

Also, as an aside, I completely lost my migraine headaches which I'd had from childhood, by going gluten free. I got a bit sloppy with the gluten (soy sauce) and had my first one in 10 years. Lesson learned!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 09:00

BF:

Thank you for your reply, I actually thought those fast results stories were typical, thought I was doing something wrong.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 09:07

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

You started in Dec, and it's now April. You are down 17 lbs, and that's a little less than a pound a week.

Sounds EXCELLENT, to me!

A stall really isn't a couple of weeks, though. A stall is two months or more. A couple of ideas that may move you forward though, are these:

As Nancy mentioned, lose any and ALL grains in your diet. They lead to inflammation, which leads to those migraines, etc. Soy sauce, even some Worcestershire sauces, tend to have grains in them. Look at the ingredients list, and see if there's rice or oatmeal or corn or wheat products in there: grain.

Make sure that you are not trying to cut calories. That comes last, not first.

Are you using net or gross in your carb count? And, if you are using net, are you eating those abominable Atkins products? Because they are NOT real food, nor are their carb counts accurate; net carbs in sugar alcohols are never any better than a very rough estimate, because different people's bodies metabolize them differently.

I use net. But only with whole foods. And I stay below 20, because that's what works for me, while allowing me to eat stir fries, etc, with veggies in them.

Are you getting enough salt and enough water? Too low intake of salt can, paradoxically, lead to headaches, as well as feeling lousy in general. Salt regulates the levels of other electrolytes. So, too little salt = too little potassium, calcium, magnesium, etc.

Too little water makes it harder for the byproducts of fat metabolism to leave the body.

I'd love it if you would let us know if any of the things we mentioned resonate with you, and if so, what your results are from making changes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 09:38

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK27
Hi everyone,

I would love some advice! I have never posted on a forum, so hopefully I am putting this in the correct place….

I have been eating low carb since 12/31/15. I started at 225, and am now 208.

Sounds like good progress to me. Stalls are common so just persevere.
I have always thought it is better (healthier perhaps?) to lose weight slower than faster but of course we tend to be impatient and want to see instant results. But think about the fact that it probably took you many years to put the weight on so taking many months or a year to lose it is not unreasonable.

PS: Longest stall I've had so far was about 4 weeks. Thought I was never going to lose any more but I was wrong.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 09:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In addition to those two great answers....how old are you ?(or hormonal status), how long have you been overweight? (the longer, the harder to lose), on any medications ?(list of those that interfere with loss: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311), and lastly, you have read WWGF, are you following the diet in the back of it? Here are Dr. Westman's 10 tips to consider: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460202
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 09:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I stalled for about a year and then lost 20 pounds in a few months. Don't give up. Stay committed. Even when your weight isn't changing your health is improving, especially if you stick with eating real food.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 10:25

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Do you drink coffee? If you tried fasting and cut out the coffee, too, you might have gotten a headache from caffeine withdrawal.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 10:48

BF:

Thanks everyone! You all are so kind! I am pretty new to this way of eating and thought stalls were something that happened after getting closer to goal or cheating. Since I have never cheated, I thought I just didn’t know what I was doing. lol

I haven't had any Atkins products at all, 99% of my meals are home cooked. The migraine that I mentioned was 1 day (Saturday) after going almost 20 hours, in my attempt to try intermittent fasting thinking that would help.

I am tracking on myfitnesspal, and believe my carb count is total carbs, I don’t subtract the fiber or anything to get to net carbs. I was barely eating any vegetables at all trying to almost avoid all carbs, but got really constipated. So, last week I added them back. I am taking potassium and magnesium, because I had no energy and didn’t feel so great, along with electrolyte tablets in my water sometimes. I am only getting about 55 ounces of water, some times a little more. Its so hard to just drink water….. How much do you all suggest?

Jey100, I am 51, no med’s, I have been this overweight since having my daughter 10 years ago! I have lost 30 here and there over the years with weight watchers or diet pills. But this time, I decided to do it without any of those gimmicks and am hoping to for permanent changes as I eat low carb for the rest of my life hopefully. What is WWGT? If it is "Why We Get Fat”, yes I have read that one as well. I’ve seen some of Dr. Westman’ s videos. Thanks for the links, I will check them out.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 10:51

BF:

No, I didn't cut out the coffee, I have 1 large cup in the morning, and nothing else until the 1st meal around 12 noon.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 11:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You picked a very healthy, no gimmick way of eating (WOE here ) I checked what books you have read, and yes, that is Why We Get Fat (sorry for the short-hand ) ...and a really simple plan in it that will work. But you are likely in the midst of hormonal changes, the extra pounds have been long-standing, both situations that make the rate of loss slower. It will happen and in the meantime enjoy feeling better. For me inflammation went down drastically...both joints and skin. And when the clothes fit better, that's what matters. Also check this why the scale lies article: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499 In the Best Of forum.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 12:52

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I was always taught to drink 1 oz of water per day for 2 lbs of weight...so for you, about 100 oz a day, at this point.

If you start your day with an 8 oz or so glass of water (as in, keep a glass in the bathroom, and when you get up in the morning, pee, weigh, then water), you'll find that you are thirstier throughout the day, making it easier to drink water. Lack of water may have led to the migraine, too.

Once you drink that first glass, just keep water around, and drink it as part of your day. If you don't like the taste, get some lemons or limes, and drop a couple of slices into a big pitcher each day, and use that to pour your water from.

BUT. Nobody expects people to jump from, say, 3 glasses of water a day to 12. Figure out what your average is, per day. Then up it by a glass, for a week. Then another, then another.

If you can go faster, because you find yourself being thirsty more, all the better. But don't force it, increase incrementally, if that's what you need to do.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 15:23

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 314/295/250 Male 69
BF:2 much %
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have been eating low carb since 12/31/15. I started at 225, and am now 208. Initially, I started doing Lchf and ketogenic, eating no more than 20 -25 grams of carbs. I was watching YouTube videos and listening to podcasts about how people were losing lots of weight. It was easy to cut the carbs, but I am not losing anymore. Currently, I am slowly reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 (also have 1999) to gain more understanding.

I started exercising, mostly walking, last month. Since I have not lost any weight in over 2 weeks I started trying intermittent fasting, but after the 2nd day I had a major migraine headache the entire day.

So, it seems I am confused, especially since my weight isn't melting off like so many others. I love how I feel, not eating sugars, starched, flour etc. and my clothes fit much better, but I have at least 70 pounds to loose and don’t want to eventually get discouraged and give up either. Any help will be much appreciated.

Ill bet you are eating something that has carbs in it.

Post a typical days diet and then whatever you have eaten for the last three days.

Most likely, you are not in ketosis because SOMEWHERE you are getting too many carbs.

also, with some people, CKD is better because their metabolism shuts down with straight keto.

Talk to me.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 20:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh goodness... I've got a few years on you, but once I hit my 50's losing weight became well neigh impossible for me. I'm sticking with it for my health. Who knows, maybe once my health gets turned around, the weight loss will follow. I'm also on a super restrictive paleo style diet because I have a zillion food sensitivities and I'm hoping that avoiding those will finally let some of the fat go. I've also had to give up my daily NSAID habit (muscle/joint pains) to try to heal my gut.

Anyway, it has been a struggle to find things to eat, but I'm doing it and the weight is falling off me in ounces per week. :-)

Being our age... best make peace with your body. :-)
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 02:34

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Oh don't give up. You are already doing so well! I'm about 8 mo in and so glad I didn't call it quits. I now can't imagine any other way of eating. I also feel better than ever. Just takes some time to get over the hump. I hit many stalls but clothing is hanging on me then all the sudden more weight comes off. Keep going, you'll be glad you did. We can do this.