Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:20

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default CoQ10 and angina pectoris?

Although I eat quite a lot of the things that are said to contain reasonable amounts of CoQ10 (such as red meat, liver, peanuts, sardines and mackerel), I had stopped supplementing with it for a while. Today I have had the feeling that I have again had similar symptoms to those of angina pectoris (repeated feelings of painful tightness in the chest, short-lived but not pleasant).

I have had these before and it was - amongst other things - to combat this problem that I was taking the CoQ10. And these symptoms did actually pretty much go; at least I don't remember noticing them for a while. Now they're back, so I'm asking myself if I should have stayed with the CoQ10 supplements.

Does anybody know anything about this or any good links or books I could read?

I'd be very interested to hear from you.

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 16:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Amanda, if you have been experiencing chest pain or discomfort of any sort, you MUST see your doctor about it. If the pain/tightness is at all prolonged (more than a few minutes) call an ambulance.

Chest pain is far too serious to attempt to treat yourself, whether with supplements or other things.

I do hope you are okay.

Roz (Critical Care RN)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 05:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Amanda, if you have been experiencing chest pain or discomfort of any sort, you MUST see your doctor about it. If the pain/tightness is at all prolonged (more than a few minutes) call an ambulance.

Chest pain is far too serious to attempt to treat yourself, whether with supplements or other things.

I do hope you are okay.

Roz (Critical Care RN)

Thanks for the answer, but it was just momentary and, today, after having taken the supplement, I have not had this feeling. I was feeling quite tense in general yesterday as I had to get the whole family working on various projects and baked German-style Xmas cookies for the first time ever! The recipes I looked at were quite scary and I think I may have been tensing up because of this.

I have also been told that my vertebrae are a bit worn down, and that this can also cause chest pain. Maybe it was linked to that. The pain came when I was sitting here late in the evening at my PC, kind of hunched over.

I did also look up some stuff on the internet and found that CoQ10 is used to treat to angina pectoris, so I figure I can't be doing myself any harm taking it.

I figure that the doctor would only have me do a load of scary tests, which would freak me out. If these pains don't come back, I won't go to the doctor.

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 05:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Thanks for the answer, but it was just momentary and, today, after having taken the supplement, I have not had this feeling. I was feeling quite tense in general yesterday as I had to get the whole family working on various projects and baked German-style Xmas cookies for the first time ever! The recipes I looked at were quite scary and I think I may have been tensing up because of this.

I have also been told that my vertebrae are a bit worn down, and that this can also cause chest pain. Maybe it was linked to that. The pain came when I was sitting here late in the evening at my PC, kind of hunched over.

I did also look up some stuff on the internet and found that CoQ10 is used to treat to angina pectoris, so I figure I can't be doing myself any harm taking it.

I figure that the doctor would only have me do a load of scary tests, which would freak me out. If these pains don't come back, I won't go to the doctor.

amanda

Amanda, please don't ignore this! Chest pain is too serious to discuss over the internet, and to treat yourself with supplements.

Please, please see your doctor.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 11:29

BF:

Ok!

amanda
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-08, 04:30

BF:

I feel kind of stupid replying to my own post, but I think what I felt the other day was actually sport-induced...

I have been seeing a physiotherapist to learn some exercises to combat backache, and I think I overdid it the other day. The reason I'm pretty convinced is that I went for an afternoon nap yesterday and when I lay down with my feet up on a special cushion I have (which I normally find very comfortable as it eases backache and tension), I felt this pain in my upper back, kind of pushing through to about where your heart is. When I turned onto my side, abandoning the cushion to lift my legs, the discomfort went away.

I had been doing various exercises to strengthen the upper back muscles and I think I must have overdone it a bit.

But I'm going to keep up with the CoQ10 anyway, as I think it's a good all-round supplement, which helps me in various ways.

amanda