Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-15-23, 12:20

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Potential reversal of biological age in women on an 8-week methylation-support diet

Quote:
Potential reversal of biological age in women following an 8-week methylation-supportive diet and lifestyle program: a case series

Abstract

Here we report on a case series of six women who completed a methylation-supportive diet and lifestyle program designed to impact DNA methylation and measures of biological aging. The intervention consisted of an 8-week program that included diet, sleep, exercise and relaxation guidance, supplemental probiotics and phytonutrients and nutritional coaching. DNA methylation and biological age analysis (Horvath DNAmAge clock (2013), normalized using the SeSAMe pipeline [a]) was conducted on blood samples at baseline and at the end of the 8-week period. Five of the six participants exhibited a biological age reduction of between 1.22 and 11.01 years from their baseline biological age. There was a statistically significant (p=.039) difference in the participants' mean biological age before (55.83 years) and after (51.23 years) the 8-week diet and lifestyle intervention, with an average decrease of 4.60 years. The average chronological age at the start of the program was 57.9 years and all but one participant had a biological age younger than their chronological age at the start of the program, suggesting that biological age changes were unrelated to disease improvement and instead might be attributed to underlying aging mechanisms.

Read the study in full here

Quote:
Participants followed an intervention that included a specific set of dietary recommendations high in known epinutrients. Simple carbohydrates were restricted, and the diet was largely plant centered but included key nutrient-dense animal protein from 5-10 eggs per week, 6 oz of animal protein daily, and three 3-ounce servings of liver per week (or an encapsulated liver supplement). Participants were also asked to eat all food within a 12-hour window each day to incorporate a basic level of intermittent fasting. Different from the original study, participants were encouraged to track their water consumption aiming for 8-cups of water per day.

Dietary supplements consisted of a probiotic containing 40 million CFU of Lactobacillus plantarum 299v. L. plantarum (UltraFlora® Intensive Care, Metagenics Inc. Aliso Viejo, CA, USA) and a fruit and vegetable powder, rich in additional polyphenolic compounds, twice a day (PhytoGanix®, Metagenics Inc. Aliso Viejo, CA, USA).

Lifestyle modifications that participants were asked to incorporate included a minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity at least 5 days a week, at an intensity of 60-80 percent of maximum perceived exertion. All participants were encouraged to get a minimum of seven hours of sleep per night, participate in two, 10-minute breathing sessions per day designed to elicit the relaxation response (a meditation video was provided).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-16-23, 20:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Doesn't sound like a plant based diet to me. 6oz animal protein daily plus eggs and liver along with veggies sounds like an omnivore diet. I am an ominvore and don't eat that much meat, perhaps I should eat more.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-17-23, 08:24

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Very interesting, Demi. This is a testimony to those who achieve health by eating healthy whole foods and no processed foods, get enough sleep, and maintain a frequent activity level whether it's exercise or physical work. This is exactly what I'm hearing on this forum from many who have successfully achieved health this way.

I was curious about the 2 servings of methylation adaptogens, as this is a vague term that should be clarified in the study. So, the six participants followed a methylation-supportive diet that provide either substrates or cofactors for DNA methylation activity or influence the expression or rate of activity of DNA methylation-related enzymes. Folate and betaine, for example, are cofactors in methylation biosynthetic pathways, alpha ketoglutarate, vitamin C, and vitamin A are ten-eleven translocation (TET) demethylase cofactors and modulators, and curcumin, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), rosmarinic acid, quercetin, and luteolin are known polyphenolic modulators of DNA methyl transferase (DMNT) enzymes. That's fine for the study, but I would have liked to get the breakdown of exactly what they used for the adaptogens. It sounds like they used a "special concoction" for these, but you wouldn't know from the study description. Some are very common such as cruciferous or green leafy vegetables, berries, citrus fruit, soy, avocados, and shiitake mushrooms. So, in plain terms, these are foods that many of us, not all, can benefit from along with important fats and healthy proteins. I'm in favor of this approach in general, and I'd make some adaptations such as increasing proteins, decreasing fruits but not avocados, maintaining berries, mushrooms, maintaining select cruciferous veggies, and avoiding soy.

I would also liked to know if they did any analysis of the telomeres or assessed change. Possibly not in this very small study, but it's interesting as I favor eggs, liver, and healthy animal protein along with some other methylation adaptogens. Strange term that for public consumption should be explained more clearly if anyone is to interpret how to add these to a WOE.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-23, 07:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
the diet was largely plant centered

We've both reduced the plant-based parts of our diets in favor of animal-based. Which is the opposite of what we are being urged to do by marketing organizations people mistake for actual science based evidence.

Animal foods are more bioavailable. In addition, I suspect I'm on the low end of having the right enzymes for plants. I seem to be highly sensitive to the many self-defense chemicals. Low bioavailability means I would have to eat more of them!

Quote:
Despite apparent similarities based on Nutrition Facts panels, our metabolomics analysis found that metabolite abundances between the plant-based meat alternative and grass-fed ground beef differed by 90%...

A metabolomics comparison of plant-based meat and grass-fed meat indicates large nutritional differences despite comparable Nutrition Facts panels

Understanding oxalates helped me return to salads this summer, with romaine lettuce. Without the digestive upsets or flares or fatigue some of my plant sources could trigger, though not in any pattern I could identify until I read Toxic Superfoods. The author solved that mystery for me!

It seems that increasingly we are being TOLD what to buy and how much, instead of given information that will let people make informed choices.

In Oxidative stress and alterations in DNA methylation: two sides of the same coin in reproduction I discover that:

Quote:
Assisted reproductive techniques may exacerbate defects in methylation and epigenesis. Antioxidant supplements are proposed to reduce the risk of potentially harmful effects, but their use has failed to prevent problems and may sometimes be detrimental. New concepts reveal a significant correlation between oxidative stress, methylation processes and epigenesis, and have led to changes in media composition with positive preliminary clinical consequences.

My bold. But I've been searching for data about antioxidants because some of the "superfoods" urged on us in volume and quantity are some of the highest in oxalate, like spinach, nuts, and chocolate. I thought it was the fiber in the spinach bothering my stomach, but I didn't know it was also in the nuts and chocolate I had been told was so good for me because of those antioxidants.

This is real data. This is procedures and drugs which are creating measurable oxidative stress in terms of testing and outcomes. Antioxidant supplements don't work on the very thing they are supposed to work on. It's possible they work better in whole foods, and the problem might be that it's simply too many of them... but why would they not work at all if people are eating junk, or what?

But what if that whole antioxidant furor was just another marketing tactic? To fuel the plant-based craze. Grass-fed meat has CLA. The more we sear the meat, the more CLA to counter it. In fact, around 2000, I tried a CLA supplement and lost enough weight to loosen my pants. This started my whole food exploration path, which actually wound up saving me due to my willingness to give up anything that turned out to be bad for me. (Though admittedly the struggle continues )

But meat is being demonized by association simply because there's more profits with ingredients that cost pennies instead of dollars. It's ALL widgets to them, all the way down.

We can't live at the whim of giant soulless corporations. Literally. Can't.

Telomere study controlling for antioxidant use. Or go home.