Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 14:06

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low-Carb Losing Steam

Low-Carb Losing Steam
Demand May Not Be Keeping Up With Supply of Products
By Margaret Webb Pressler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The nation's appetite for low-carbohydrate foods seems bottomless, judging by the many low-carb products showing up in supermarkets and the new menu items at restaurants and fast-food chains. And when Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc. recently announced slowing sales, it put part of the blame on low-carb diets.

Yet the mood at a recent Washington conference on the business was bleak. Sales of low-carb products have fallen sharply at independent and health food stores, and some longtime industry insiders say a shakeout has begun.

"I do think now we're on the downside of the roller coaster -- and there will be ups again, but not as high," said Dean Rotbart, executive editor of industry trade publication LowCarbiz, which organized the conference. Rotbart said he is considering a new name and broader focus for his magazine.

Even as they rush to cash in on the craze, some major food manufacturers say they see the phenomenon cooling down and becoming one part of the broad market for weight-loss products. "It's kind of exploded, it's a trend, and then it becomes, really, a niche," said Michael E. Diegel, a spokesman for the Grocery Manufacturers of America Inc. "That's where it looks like it's going at this point."

The changes in the business are hardest on the entrepreneurs who have staked their business plans on the low-carb craze. Curtis Price, co-owner with his brother and another partner of Whoa . . . That's Lo!, a low-carb store in Silver Spring, is typical of specialty retailers feeling the pinch, with sales off 15 to 20 percent in the past two months. "It reached a peak, and now it's trickling off, but it's going to eventually level out," he said.

Stores like Price's have lost some customers to supermarkets and discounters as they give more shelf space to low-carb products. But a growing number of industry experts say the declines for independents may be the first sign of deeper problems: people giving up on the diet after not doing it right, a poor reception for some foods that have been rushed to market and the diet-killing temptation available in the form of low-carb pasta, cookies, ice cream and snacks -- many of which pack a wallop in calories and fat.

"More and more consumers aren't really understanding what's involved in the low-carb lifestyle . . . so you have an increasing number of people failing" to lose weight on low-carb diets, Arne Bey, president and chief executive of leading low-carb manufacturer Keto Foods LLC, said at the conference.

Because the trend can't be ignored, big brands are turning out the low-carb offerings to defend shelf space, establish a healthier-for-you image and grab a little piece of a growth market in a cutthroat business. Plus, these products can command a premium price, so they are profitable.

Diegel of the Grocery Manufacturers of America said it's the nature of the food business for companies to quickly follow a trend. "It's all about market share and growth, and if you're going to find growth, it's got to be in new products, new categories, line extensions," he said.

But some manufacturers are planning for a time when low-carb diets are no longer the consumer favorite.

"They're looking for that silver bullet right now," said General Mills Inc. spokeswoman Marybeth Thorsgaard. "In the long term, General Mills believes that weight management is about balance and calorie content and exercise, so a lot of our low-carb products offer other benefits as well," she said. "While the low-carb trend may go, for example, our new Ultra Yoplait [low-carb] yogurt also has fewer calories, giving it sustaining power."

Magazine editor Rotbart estimates sales of products labeled as low-carb are between $3 billion and $5 billion a year -- out of what the Food Marketing Institute says are annual sales of about $433 billion for the non-restaurant retail food industry. The market for low-carb products has developed so quickly that there is little data to back up Rotbart's estimates.

And even if low-carb turns out to be a really big niche in the market, some entrepreneurs touting massive expansion plans are disappearing. Brad Saltzman, profiled last month in a Time magazine cover story on the craze, is already backing out of the business, for example.

Just a couple of months ago, Saltzman was touting the astounding success of his two new low-carb stores in Los Angeles -- the first in the city -- and saying he would have a chain of stores with $100 million in sales in five years. But that was when his tiny Santa Monica store was doing $4,000 a day in sales. Now that location is ringing up less than $1,000 a day, Saltzman said, and sales are "falling every week." He has already converted his Beverly Hills store, which opened in mid-February, almost entirely to sales of gourmet foods with just a smattering of his original offerings.

"Our retail days in low-carb are over," he said.

Among the factors that hurt Saltzman's business was an investigation by a local television station in Los Angeles that found a popular low-carb bagel actually contained three times the carbs indicated on the label. Consumers, Saltzman said, are nervous about the claims made on so many low-carb products.

And in some cases, people just don't like the taste. Bey of Keto Foods said his sales are strong thanks to the demands of traditional retailers, many of whom are trying to find brands that shoppers actually like enough to keep buying.

"Many food companies, and even some major food companies . . . have placed substandard-tasting products on the shelves," Bey said. "So what you then have is hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of trial purchasers who are disappointed, and therein lie the seeds of a contraction of demand."

There is also consumer research that is discouraging to low-carb entrepreneurs. For example, NPD Group Inc.'s database of actual food consumption shows that even people who consume the fewest carbohydrates are still eating an average of 128 carbs a day -- three to four times the intake that low-carb diets recommend to lose weight.

A survey by market research firm Opinion Dynamics Corp. also showed that three-quarters of the population has never tried a low-carb diet. And only 9 percent of that large group said they might try one in the next two years. That small number "raises the question of whether the market has already been defined," said Lawrence Shiman, project manager for Opinion Dynamics. "If they haven't tried it till now, chances are they won't."

Industry executives also worry that all the new products are making it harder to lose weight. Rather than eating a steak and a salad for dinner, as previous low-carb followers might have, it's now possible to have steak and salad and low-carb pasta. So latecomers to the diet may not get one of the main weight-dropping advantages of a strict low-carb diet -- that it limits calorie intake.

A study by Consumer Reports magazine for its June issue found some new low-carb products have more calories and fat than regular foods.

"It was easier to stay disciplined before, because you couldn't be tempted because there was nothing out there that was low-carb," said Howard Cohen, chairman of Simply LowCARB Weight Loss Centers of Rockville.

Now, with so many low-carb treats on the shelves, he said, people are starting to eat more. "That's part of the problem" for the industry, he said. "When people stop losing weight, then they'll stop buying the products."

Cohen has three area centers where low-carb dieters receive individual counseling and a strict regimen to follow without all the treats. He plans to add many locations, he said, because there is a sizable core of people who are serious about losing weight and want to try low-carb because it works when it is done right.

"It's not ending," he said. "What's ending is this craziness."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2004May17.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/195/160 Male 5 ' 7 "
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
"That's part of the problem" for the industry, he said. "When people stop losing weight, then they'll stop buying the products."

that's exactly it, I don't know how many people here read my introduction but I bounced around within the same 10 pounds for about 6 months cause I was taking advantage of the lo-carb products...or were they taking advantage of me..? Anyway, please don't ask why it took me 6 months to wise up but now I have gone natural, retreated from all the lo-carb products, any of the ones using the so called "net carb" strategy, when it may be just the sugar alcohols that have been causing me a problem, but I have cut out the lo-carb bread and tortillas too. I know the fiber isn't supposed to be digestible but I don't want to slow my loss any further. Still doing my veggies though!

I think these companies have to stop trying to get rich and get real.

Sorry, don't mean to vent on you all.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 16:52

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

No problem, feel free to vent away

Yoda San, I think that you've also hit a very important nail on the head there - the fact the majority of these products are really not good for actual weight loss and that we are far better off without them. I also feel that 'genuine' low carbers are starting to come to the same conclusions, which may explain the drop in sales.

Although I didn't think so at first, I think that we are probably far luckier in the UK not to have these all these low carb products. This means that our low carb 'diets' are far more natural, and therefore, far healthier too
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 17:52

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

All we really need is decent low carb bread and buns (got them now), diet pop made with Splenda (slowly starting), and some basic condiments (got them). Well, and low carb beer, they are still selling

All these low carb candies, cookies, and chocolate bars are crap and will not help your diet. Soy chips? You don't need chips, low fat ones, low carb ones, any chip. Just eat nuts for goodness sake.

brobin
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 20:31

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin
Soy chips? You don't need chips, low fat ones, low carb ones, any chip. Just eat nuts for goodness sake.

And if you need something to scoop up your guacamole, cucumber is absolutely wonderful!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 23:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Actually, there's more low carb products on the market so you don't have to go to the low carb speciality store and pay their incredibly inflated prices, you can just nip into the grocery store and buy what you need.

I'm utterly appalled at the prices in my low carb speciality store. They're generally double or triple or more for what you'd buy elsewhere. I mean, $8 for a loaf of bread!

Frankly, I'm grateful I can buy low carb bread, tortillas and such. Gives me something I can wrap my meat in! And there's never any danger I'll binge on them, they don't actually taste that good by themselves.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 06:42

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin
All we really need is decent low carb bread and buns (got them now), diet pop made with Splenda (slowly starting), and some basic condiments (got them). Well, and low carb beer, they are still selling

I'll agree with the low-carb beer, but you don't need the other stuff. The candies/cookies/cakes are certainly evil. I might try my first LC cake sometime around my birthday, which is near my 1 year Atkinsversary.

--nw
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: Zone first, now just lowcarb my own way
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 166cm
BF:
Progress:

Don't know about you all, but from the mental big picture I've gathered in my head through reading about nutrition for a few years now, I rather tax my system with sugar than possibly poison it with frankensweeteners.

Atleast with things like honey, real sugar (beet sugar? cane sugar? someone enlighten me what the brown less refined sugar is called in English) and such I know quite well what I'm ingesting. Frankensweeteners however ...

Also, although none of the lowcarb'ed stuff is available here in Finland, I'm iffy on breads and other grainproducts, whether lowcarb or not. Unless I'm mistaken, both soy-based ingredients and glutein are quite big parts of how they are accomplishing lower carb grainproducts. And neither of them gets the thumbs up from me. The soy issue has been tackled every once in a while here, and keliac disease is caused by glutein, and it is not a rare disease. It is even thought to be vastly underdiagnosed, and lesser not so obvious symptoms of it might even be not realized in the medical field yet.

Of course, in small doses I doubt (and hope) they are not that bad, and the human body can cope with them. Thus as novelty items, I don't have a big problem with them. As replacing real food I draw the line at, like many others here seem to also do.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:35

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have a real aversion to all the low-carb products -- I don't even want to try them. I find I'm much happier just not eating low-carb replacement foods.

I think it started with low-fat. Low-fat replacement products were so heinous that I got to the point where I couldn't eat them. And most of the low-fat products I would have eaten are low-carb in their full-fat versions (like salad dressings and mayonnaise) that now I can eat happily what I wanted all along. But my aversion to replacement foods is still strong.

So I guess I'll do what I did during low-fat -- eat "regular" foods seldom and in small amounts. And since high-carb foods don't trigger cravings for me, I'll probably be OK as long as I'm careful (it is easy, I know, to build up to overdoing it and I'll have to be very cautious when I reach maintenance). I guess that's also why I don't even really want high-carb foods anymore.

Last edited by DebPenny : Wed, May-19-04 at 08:28.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:47

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

"want to try low-carb because it works when it is done right"

YES! That's the core of it. People who don't want to change the way they are eating are not going to have good results. After all, they aren't changing anything.

Junk is junk.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:35

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

Right you are, Adkpam!
The occasional treat is all must of us need to keep on track. I think I've eaten enough pasta in my life. I don't mind doing without.
I don't want to replicate my old WOE with low carb substitutes. I was ready to embrace a new WOE, one where I don't ever have to be hungry, and don't ever have to be fat.
And I never thought I'd find one till I found low carb.