Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "...a healthy way to stay slim or is she [Rene Zellweger] putting herself at risk?"

Wed 6 Aug 2003

A diet in the dock

TARA WOMERSLEY HEALTH CORRESPONDENT

link to article

SHE piled on the pounds to play Bridget Jones, but shed them all for her high-kicking role in the musical Chicago.

But has Renee Zellweger, an avid follower of the Atkins diet, found herself a healthy way to stay slim or is she putting herself at risk from heart disease, kidney stones and cancer?

The high protein diet that has been condemned by nutritionists has become the most talked about and tried in recent history.

When Dr Robert Atkins first published his radical text on dieting in the 1970s, he could not have conceived the brouhaha his ideas would prompt two decades later.

Although he died this year, after falling on an icy New York footpath, Dr Atkins’s methods and his influence have not weakened, as some predicted. The book Dr Atkins’s New Diet Revolution is now Britain’s best-selling text after Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix.

The formula is simple: avoid those foodstuffs you were always told were good for you - bread, pasta, potatoes, rice and cereal, which are all high in carbohydrates - then substitute them with fry-ups for breakfast and juicy rump steaks for dinner.

But amid the claims that the diet could lead to an increased risk of heart disease and cancer, the Atkins diet is not the panacea for losing weight that many believe.

And add into the equation the fact the dieters frequently suffer from bad breath, and it’s easy to see why it is not perfect.

The Atkins diet works on the principle that by cutting down on the carbohydrates, there is less glucose in the body that can be end up as fat.

Excess glucose is converted by the liver to glycogen, to give additional energy, but the body can only store a limited amount of glycogen and the remaining glucose is turned into fat.

Atkins diet supporters believe that by cutting down on carbohydrates the body will start using its existing fat stores for fuel. In doing this, the body gives off ketones, which are released through the breath and urine, and then enters into ketosis.

Less than three months ago, research published in the New England Journal of Medicine suggested the Atkins regime was just as effective as more conventional diets. In a six-month trial, volunteers lost twice as much weight as those on more traditional low-calorie, high- carbohydrate diets. However after a year, the weight loss gap between the diets had closed.

Researchers also found the diet seemed to protect against heart disease by increasing levels of good cholesterol.

But a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, looking at 1,600 female nurses aged between 42 and 68 over an 11-year-period, claims a high-protein diet may place extra strain on the kidneys in women, with declining renal function.

Dr Toni Steer, a nutritionist at the Medical Research Council Resource Centre for Human Nutrition Research, in Cambridge, said the reason Atkins dieters lost weight was not due to "magic" metabolic change in their body but because they ate fewer calories.

She added that this was partly due to the fact they filled up quicker on high-protein food, and also the monotony of the food they ate and complexity of the rules they had to follow meant some people found eating too much bother.

Dr Steer said: "The problem with the Atkins diet is that we do not know the long-term effects. There is also evidence that eating fruit and vegetables can cut reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and certain cancers and the Atkins diet goes against the public health messages put out.

"Also, by cutting out on carbohydrates, people are cutting out essential nutrients from their diet, such as B vitamins and folates. Research has suggested that reducing the intake of folates may increase levels of plasma homocysteines, which have been linked with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.

"The studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine do not look at the long-term effects of the diet, as one lasted six months and the other 12 months, while evidence from low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets span three, four, five and six years."

She added: "People wanting to lose weight should try and do things that are achievable. For instance, cut down from two teaspoons of sugar in their tea to one teaspoon instead. If they have six cups of tea a day, they will cut down on 120 calories daily."

It was claimed yesterday that the diet’s popularity had led to an increase in egg sales. Sales of British Lion eggs were said to be up 8 per cent this year.

The Meat and Livestock Commission has also stated that total meat consumption is up 10 per cent since the height of the BSE crisis in 1996.

But the British Potato Council is spending £1 million to promote the vegetable to resolve any "confusion" in the wake of anti-carbohydrate regimes.

And John White, the director of the Federation of Bakers, said production of bread had dropped between 1.5 and 2 per cent over the past three years - and that sales were down due to the Atkins diet.

He added: "Bread is one of the best foods that you can buy. It is full of vitamins and minerals and while most people know about the fibre benefits of wholemeal bread, there is also a lot of calcium contained in white bread."

Those following the Atkins diet have to first follow an "induction" period of at least two weeks limiting their carbohydrate intake to 20g a day. After that, they can increase their carbohydrate intake by 5g a day until they start to put on weight. They are then allowed to increase carbohydrate intake in 10g amounts each week - so long as very gradual weight loss is maintained.

Annie Anderson, a professor of food choice at Ninewells Medical School, said: "The best way to lose weight is with a balanced diet and plenty of fruit and vegetables, low in fat and high in carbohydrates, such as whole grains and wholemeal bread."

FOR the Atkins diet

KATE Wemyss, a lawyer from Edinburgh, has never been a fan of diets. But with her wedding scheduled for the end of the month, she decided to give the Atkins regime a try.

She began the diet earlier this year and within six weeks her weight dropped from 11 stone to 10 stone. Although Ms Wemyss, 26, has not been quite as strict as when she started out on the diet, for the past two months she has not put the weight back on.

She admits feeling ill during the first couple of days and did suffer from bad breath - one of the drawbacks of Atkins - but would still recommend the diet to anybody wanting to lose weight.

She said: "I bought the book, but for the first two weeks did not really lose anything as I just think I was eating too much with huge fry-ups in the morning. But I then started not to eat quite as much and the weight started to come off. I had never really been on a diet before, but with the Atkins diet you were told exactly what to do which I liked and it was a challenge."

Despite critics claiming that the Atkins diet is monotonous, Ms Wemyss said that she was not bored by the food that she ate. "You can have all sorts of different salads and fish, such as monkfish that you would not usually eat," she said.

AGAINST the Atkins diet

DR TONI Steer, a nutritionist, warned that Atkins diet was not a magic solution. She said that the reason dieters lose weight is because they are eating fewer calories, but at the same time missing out on vital nutrients. She added the methodology of studies claiming Atkins is safe and effective needed to be questioned as they do not look at long-term effects and involve a small number of subjects.

She said: "One study involving 1,600 female nurses aged between 42 and 68 over an 11-year period suggested that women on high protein diets who have declining renal function could be putting an extra strain on their kidneys because they have to filter the protein they eat.

"There is evidence that people who eat more fruit and vegetables have a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease and certain cancers. But the Atkins diet goes against public health messages put out.

"People on the Atkins diet lose weight because they are taking in fewer calories partly because the protein in the Atkins diet makes them feel full up very quickly but also because the diet is very monotonous and people sometimes can’t be bothered to eat."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 11:04

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
anti-carbohydrate regimes

LMAO, that's us, all right!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:28

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 225/181/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

"But the British Potato Council is spending £1 million to promote the vegetable to resolve any "confusion" in the wake of anti-carbohydrate regimes. "

Potatoes are vegetables now?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: Eades
Stats: 278/236/181
BF:44%/33%/14%
Progress: 43%

Ok I give up.... the high carbers are right.... The 43 lbs I have lost is obviously all water. I do not feel better, I am going to die a horrible death. My breath stinks, I miss fruits, vegatables and most of all suger. I can actually feel my arteries clogging as I type. I have no energy, and know the weight is going to come back, plus probably an extra 50. Anybody who proposes Atkins works is secretly in league with the devil. Nutritionalists are the only people to be trusted, as they have taken care of the american obesity problem so well over the last few years. Now that I am enlightened I feel better already... thank you Dr Steer.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 02:51

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
gotbeer

Excellent article - And may I just say there was not a hint of arrogance there, no wimpy statements and no curtness!!

You are right, women don't like wimps

wheres your journal

Jenny
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 06:41
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Of all of the silly anti-Atkins articles out there, this is certainly one of the silliest. How could anyone conclude that refined breads, pasta, etc., are GOOD for you? Even the more intelligent low-fat, high-carb proponents don't say that! And as for the deficit of veggies and fruits that allegedly accrue on Atkins, I just read the Atkins for Life book. You know what he insisted on for lifetime maintenance? Four to five servings of veggies daily, plus two servings of fruit! I daresay that this is far more that people get on an average Western diet--even a low-fat diet.

And as for people losing weight on Atkins simply because they eat fewer calories--I don't know about anyone else, but my fitday logs show I'm actually eating MORE calories on a low-carb diet than I ever did on Weight Watchers, and I've lost weight easily and expect to keep it off. Which brings me to the alleged monotony of this WOE--WHAT? There are so many food choices, and so many ways to prepare satisfying and delicious foods, that I have to wonder what the author of this article is smoking.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:04
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Maybe these fools see WOE and intepret it as "woe" instead of Way Of Eating
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:58
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Jenny -

Hey, I didn't write it, I just shoveled it along.

I've considered starting a Journal, but making time for it would cut into my other ongoing research projects (4 in all now, including General Low Carb Issues as my current #1). Once I wrap up "Sports Financing" (cryptic, I know, but this one is proprietary) and write my thesis I may have more time.

The other issue is: my home computer just died, so my online time is going to restricted to brief periods (before work / lunch / after work, Mon-Fri). I'm ordering a new one soon, but it may be a couple of weeks before I return to full form on this forum.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:49

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
gotbeer

You sound pretty busy but I am glad you have the time to post these wonderful articles and stay humorous. lol
I look forward to reading your next thread

woman
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 06:14

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
The formula is simple: avoid those foodstuffs you were always told were good for you - bread, pasta, potatoes, rice and cereal, which are all high in carbohydrates

I was always told that bread pasta etc. were fattening. Some people believe that the world started with them. This high carb crap started 20 years ago, no longer.
danny