Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 07:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Burning duodenum cells to treat type 2 diabetes

I'm pleased that the Diabetes.co.uk site is generally low-carb oriented. That's where I found this article:

Quote:
Burning duodenum cells to treat type 2 diabetes

Killing cells from inside the duodenum of the small intestine could help control blood sugar levels among those with type 2 diabetes, researchers have said.

Granted, these cells have high turnover, but knowing now how fiber's vaunted health effects is also based on "killing cells," I'm just not fond of the concept.

Quote:
The duodenum is located between the stomach and the middle part of the small intestine. It is thought this part of the stomach becomes enlarged and stops working properly when it is exposed to an unhealthy diet for a number of years.

Ya think? So if it's going to be used to reset a body and keep it healthy, I guess. But I like my method: eating real food.

Quote:
He added, “This research is compelling because it harnesses the untapped potential of the luminal digestive tract in the management of health and disease. Moreover, it is provocative in its application of minimally invasive endoscopic therapy to treat a metabolic condition.”

This rejuvenating process resets hormone production within the intestine part of the organ, the lion’s share of which are linked to metabolism and related diseases.

Because, as described, it's a "kinder, gentler" bariatric surgery. Which I am emphatically NOT a fan of. Once again, they keep trying to compensate for their bad dietary advice instead of correcting the bad dietary advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 10:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Interesting. I'm beginning to confirm my suspicions that medical procedures like this are not done due to it being the best protocol and most healthy for the patient, it's done because they have the knowledge, technology, and capability. It's not done because it's the best choice, it's only done because they can, and it's a preferred revenue source. Full disclosure for the patient in comparing treatment options should be a mandatory legal requirement. However, when little credibility is placed on an alternative dietary approach due to lack of knowledge, this option is rarely considered a serious choice by the physician and likely never considered as an option.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 11:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Once again, they keep trying to compensate for their bad dietary advice instead of correcting the bad dietary advice.

worth repeating !!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 11:47

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is something I've been learning a bit about lately in my studies, how various types of weight loss surgery work.

To my understanding, different sections of the small intestine secrete different incretin hormones as food being digested passes through it. In the uppermost sections starting with the duodenum, a hormone called GIP is produced, while further down the intestines another hormone called GLP-1 is produced instead.

The flow-on effects of the two hormones are quite interesting. GLP-1 is said to help reduce insulin and increase glucagon, while GIP apparently raises both. That's a bit weird as generally insulin and glucagon work in opposition to each other.

Now comes the kicker. Since processed food that is more rapidly/easily digested is handled more in those upper sections of the intestine than whole foods which take longer to digest and so spend more time further down the line, so to speak, this can form a meaningful explanation for why processed foods in general can be a bad idea.

Some bariatric surgery methods are designed to help bypass the duodenum for this reason, to direct food more towards the lower intestines where the incretin hormone balance that results can be more beneficial. There is apparently another downside though, in that the duodenum area is supposed to be where a number of key vitamins tend to be absorbed. So anyone looking to bypass the duodenum by any means may need to look at vitamin supplementation to prevent deficiencies.

(This is all just me off the top of my head though, and I just woke up, so... )

So yeah, this idea of burning/damaging/bypassing the duodenum all feels a bit more like a workaround than an actual solution to the problem. Just eat real food, prevention is better than cure and all that.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

"Jesus wept." - Dr Eades, probably
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 08:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

One of the common arguments against low-carb eating is that there are no long-term data on it. Where is the long-term data on the various surgical weight-loss procedures?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 10:06

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
One of the common arguments against low-carb eating is that there are no long-term data on it. Where is the long-term data on the various surgical weight-loss procedures?

There is none - by design. In fact, they only follow up on WLS patients for the first year, which is a honeymoon period, when most of the problems have not yet had a chance to become apparent. The interference of these procedures in nutrient absorption doesn't become apparent until they start to show serious signs of nutrient deficiences... more than a year after the procedure. But that doesn't matter from a surgical standpoint, because they're fully recovered from the procedure, the surgeon has released the patient from any further care (washed his hands of the patient), and therefore has absolutely no responsibility for anything that happens after that.

I can understand this happening back when WLS was in it's infancy, and it looked like the patients were doing well, and had stabilized after a year, so why not release them from follow up care? But after so many years, and using so many different WLS procedures which result in the same types of problems cropping up later, it should be so obvious that none of them continue to do well after that first year, and it's not just because the patient has become complacent, failed to adequately deal with the emotional aspects of why they gained so much weight to begin with, or returned to old ways of eating (even though those things do often happen) - it should be so obvious that the physical problems occur because something about WLS is only a temporary bandaid (which is mostly the bypassing of the duodenum and the necessary hormone triggers that are switched off permanently - saw a video the other day by Dr Mike Eades about the incretin/GIP/GLP interactions that explains it in more detail than I fully understood), and therefore not a permanent fix for the problems that existed before their WLS. Because of that, and the very way these primarily irreversible procedures are constructed, their health is eventually far worse than before.

The only "logic" I can see in continuing to do these procedures, and coming up with less invasive/sometimes somewhat reversible procedures (instead of changing the diet that caused the problem to begin with) is that they don't believe people who have spent their lives eating a certain way will ever willingly change their way of eating without a "tool" that makes them even more miserable if they eat or drink even 1 more swallow than they're allowed. Of course if the only alternative they're offering to an unlimited SAD diet is a low fat, low cal diet, it's no wonder they can't stop eating the very things that are triggering their out of control hunger. Even if the medical establishment ever accepts LC as the best way to bring all the problems under control, there are still going to be those who won't give up their bread and potatoes, can't imagine their life without cereals, fries, and donuts, and refuse to even try.