Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-15, 22:47

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I'm in favor of a modified plan that will help people eat more healthy. If eating 40 carbs helps people lower their carb intake, then it would be a useful marketing strategy. However, fbased upon what I've read, I do not support this Atkins 40 as it is being marketed - with such an emphasis on processed and packaged foods. There may be a place for packaged/processed foods for some, and I do not believe that starting out with them will lead to success.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 10:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
Hmm, looks to me like they are advocating that folks should rush headlong into a way of eating that is as close to the old way of eating as possible without absolutely violating the rules of the Atkins plan; seems like the good doctor issued a warning about such things...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
I'm in favor of a modified plan that will help people eat more healthy. If eating 40 carbs helps people lower their carb intake, then it would be a useful marketing strategy. However, fbased upon what I've read, I do not support this Atkins 40 as it is being marketed - with such an emphasis on processed and packaged foods. There may be a place for packaged/processed foods for some, and I do not believe that starting out with them will lead to success.

This is my problem with it. I wish they could be forced to break away from (mis)using the Atkins name. A different plan? Great, but don't compare it to the diet that Dr Atkins came up with. I look at the language he used in DANDR, for example, and he almost uses a scolding tone with how strict you're supposed to be. Induction is so hard, even I couldn't do it!! I'm not joking, and I've been successful at this for 12 years.

It's like they're mimicking Weight Watchers: let's sell people the idea that they can successfully lose weight without giving up their favorite foods (which made them fat and sick. But who cares, as long as we take their money?) Sugar and wheat are addictive, but let's sell them the idea that they can magically learn to moderate their intake, even though hardly anyone can do this easily long term.

Compare that to the Eadeses and Protein Power, with which I started out. Like this Atkins 40, they also start you out on a max of 40 g carb, but they also explain where that 40 g carb count should be coming from, and they ain't selling you pizza and candy.

I'll be interested in seeing the ingredients of the new Atkrap foods. I bet it's a lot of stuff I can't even handle in maintenance. I have a feeling that pizza crust ain't made of cauliflower.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 10:26

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
This is my problem with it. I wish they could be forced to break away from (mis)using the Atkins name. A different plan? Great, but don't compare it to the diet that Dr Atkins came up with. I look at the language he used in DANDR, for example, and he almost uses a scolding tone with how strict you're supposed to be.

Is it DANDR where he said "cheating is the kiss of death"?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 10:43

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/182/140 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 16%

This publicity wanting to recruit more people under the Atkins umbrella, and therefore more products purchased.

If I'm having trouble losing weight with 20 net carbsimagine how it will be with 40.

The only benefit I can see to this increase in the allowed NC is probably less giving up due to frustration. I may have lost a lot of weight previously with induction atkins, but it all invariably came back when I returned to carb eating.

Maybe if I had 40 lbs to lose, I'd follow 20 gms daily, with 40 gms on weekends? like carb cycling but still within the low carb territory?

I've read studies stating 50 gms is the switching point, but from these boards I discovered that everyone is different, and carb thresholds are individualized.

Maybe keep the total carbs below 40 and net carbs below 20? that makes more sense to me.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 10:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here is my take on the "products"
The low-carb frozen dinners aren't half bad and if I had a choice between eating a high carb dinner and one of these, it would be a no brainer.
I haven't bought them in a while but when working a lot, they really are a life saver because if I don't eat when I am hungry, I start feeling really bad so I have had several in my freezer from time to time. They have never effected my weight negatively and I just count them into my carb count.
It's a lot healthier than eating a can of spam which I have seen people do and thinking that they are eating right...ugh
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 14:10

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hey, let's not diss SPAM!

Here's the scoop on the "singles" package--just in case someone has difficulty holding back from eating a whole can of the stuff. Probably not the best investment of calories, but not bad for an LC convenience food.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 pkg (85g)
Servings: 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories 210
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Cholesterol 55mg 18%
Sodium 730mg 30%
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 1g
Protein 14g
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
This product is GLUTEN FREE

Disclaimer: I do not own SPAM stock, nor do I consume SPAM on a regular basis. YMMV.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 14:18

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Too funny!
I have fond memories of my Dad frying up slices of Spam and serving with scrambled eggs when we went camping. The only cooking he knew how to do. We were LC and didn't know it way back then.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 14:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Hey, let's not diss SPAM!

Here's the scoop on the "singles" package--just in case someone has difficulty holding back from eating a whole can of the stuff. Probably not the best investment of calories, but not bad for an LC convenience food.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 pkg (85g)
Servings: 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories 210
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Cholesterol 55mg 18%
Sodium 730mg 30%
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 1g
Protein 14g
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
This product is GLUTEN FREE

Disclaimer: I do not own SPAM stock, nor do I consume SPAM on a regular basis. YMMV.

Everything in moderation but if it's the main dish day after day IDK???
That's just scary...
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 15:55

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
That's just scary...

Not scary, means you live in Hawaii!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 16:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Atkins pizza.

Presented without comment.

#41   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 16:11

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
That's just scary...

No scarier than someone who eats chicken or bacon and eggs day after day. It's not my favorite food either, but there are certainly worse choices.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 17:11

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Atkins pizza ingredient list? Now that's beyond scary. Horrifying!!

My favorite advice for would-be low-carbers? Don't eat anything with an Ingredients list! Period.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 17:52

BF:

How funny, I was just at walmart and bought three Atkins frozen dinners. I saw the pizza, looked at the carb count and immediately threw it back into the freezer
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-15, 17:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
No scarier than someone who eats chicken or bacon and eggs day after day. It's not my favorite food either, but there are certainly worse choices.

Now that's a funny one, You think eating chicken, bacon or eggs is equal to eating spam
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-15, 05:28

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Kristine, thanks for the ingredient list for Atkins pizza. I bought one and enjoyed it but deliberately did not read the label. Now all I can think is bleh. I also tried the Atkins Italian style pasta. I won't buy those again.

I too have Atkins frozen meals in my freezer for when I am too tired to cook or have run out of fresh (usually from being snowed in and I can't get to the store. I have a tendency to fall and my deck becomes much too slippery. It is a good excuse for not leaving the house.) I tire of them quickly. They all have a similar flavor.

Why these foods all seem to have sugar or dextrose in their ingredients I don't know unless it is to spice up the sauces.

For the most part, I choose the Atkins frozen meals over the other "low carb/high protein" frozen meals such as "Eating Right high protein." But the groceries where I shop don't always carry a variety of Atkins or much in the way of low carb frozen anything.

What pleases me is that manufacturers are beginning to notice that there is a demand for low carb products and are trying to fill it. At least we LCers are being noticed!