Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 17:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/224/180 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Feeling Blue and trying not to binge

Today one of my cats died ( he was to be neutered) and it was very sudden I feel VERY upset and really want to just dive into some ice cream or cake but i know its only to numb my feelings ><
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 17:42

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Aw. My sympathies for your loss. That is awful.

Things to try that are as good as a binge, biochemically -

- really loud music
- take a baseball bat and hit the bed or some tires out back until you're exhausted
- any other physically exhausting body stuff
- performance art! go to Radio Shack, buy a power horn, then go to your town's highest overlook and tell the world your grief and how great the cat was

(these are all endorphin highs)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 18:07

BF:

thanks mostly im still just sobbing my heart out every 30 min due to the fact that SOMETHING around the house reminds me of him (( like the oversized teacup plant holder he used to nap in ))
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 21:28

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

so sorry about your kitty. dont be afraid to cry, it's cathartic.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 23:36

BF:

meh cant sleep my mind is just racing it was my future mother in law that took the cat to the vet at one of those low cost clinic things..anything to save a buck a suppose but we HAD the money to take him to a decent place I should of put my foot down and told her to take him to a better place that did not look like dollar store vet office V.V
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 07:21

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

So sorry about your kitty. *big hugs*
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 11:26

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I'm so sorry about your kitty. I know it is easy to say, well today I'll just eat to numb my sadness, but that's going to make you feel worse due to guilt. Mourn your kitty cat, go for a long walk, cry, but try not to reach for Ben and Jerry - they won't actually make the pain better. (((hug)))
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 15:12

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I'm SO SORRY about your cat! I love cats, have had so many throughout the years, and loved them all. It's so hard to lose a cherished pet. My thoughts are with you...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 10:52

BF:

thanks everybody I feel better now ^^ I did slip off plan but it was only one meal and am back on track my kitty would want me to be healthy and happy rather then in a diabetic coma. =) thank you all for your support i have been rereading the fourm since he died and helped through alot of cravings *hug*
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-11, 04:44

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

I've been thinking about grief today. I got news that a friend died suddenly 2 days ago and it was a shock. Also brought up grief for loss of pets in the past few years. It's hard when a pet dies because many people don't understand and they can trivialize the loss.

This sounds bad, I know, but sometimes I miss how I used to comfort myself with food. It isn't always easy to find other ways to comfort yourself. And I think the grieving process is somewhat mysterious, even though we all know of the "five stages." Everyone goes through it differently and sometimes you can't help but think of rough patches in your past and your own mortality.

You can try to remind yourself of what a good friend you were to your cat and how well you took care of him. If it feels right write a letter to him and express what you're feeling; somehow the "message" will get through.

My neighbor last year put her older cat to sleep when it started having health problems. I tend to want to be "heroic" but she seemed very at peace with her decision, it may have saved her cat a lot of suffering.

I use flower essences a lot, they really help me. There's a combination specifically for grief and it can be very soothing. Made by Flower Essence Services, you can order from them direct online or from amazon, some health food stores carry them too:

http://www.fesflowers.com/grief-relief.htm
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-11, 06:37

BF:

Thank you so much for the link I am feeling much better now and I scattered sparrow the cat's ashes in my garden last week. I also sometimes miss the way food would soothe me. now I watch one of my fav t.v shoes with a diet soda and let myself have some t.v time insted of eating.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-11, 08:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I'm so glad you came through this with better ways of coping with stress!

I adore my own cats and the loss of any is losing a friend.

I hope you can move on and adopt again... so many are out there, needing a happy home:

After a loss, how long before we can get a new cat?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-11, 09:50

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I'm sorry about your loss. Reading it brought tears to my eyes. 6 yrs ago, my kitty got sick, he ended up having bladder problems. We did everything out vet told us to do, and a year later had to put him down. I cried for weeks, my hB thought I was crazy. I still cry when I see his pic or something reminds me of him, like right now. I've had several kitties since, I've loved them all but non of them have been my true kitty love.

You can do it, food really isn't all that conforting, it just passes the time and gives you something to do. You'll feel like crap later and be even more upset with yourself.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 22:34

BF:

thank you all so much for your support *hug* =) I also play with "putty" or play dough it helps alot I also use it for when my PTSD acts up and I start to have a panic attack