Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-00, 11:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Question Soy isoflavones

I've just finished browsing the "Studies Posted Within the Last Month" section (under "Articles" on the home page of this site). There was an article on soy isoflavones and how it seems they can help prevent osteoperosis in premenopausal women.

Sounds good! So my question is, how does one consume soy isoflavones? I use soy flour, powder, protein, etc. Apparently (according to the article) some isolates soy protein powders contain isoflavones, but some don't. I've just read the label of the kind I'm using and it doesn't say. I've seen the isoflavones in pill form - is that the best way to get the required daily amount?

Does anyone know more about this? I'd like to start taking it as a supplement, if it really works!

Rachel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-00, 12:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation Re: Soy isoflavones

Quote:
Originally posted by r.mines
. .. an article on soy isoflavones and how it seems they can help prevent osteoperosis in premenopausal women.

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Um, first, the article refers to PERImenopause, not PRE-menopause. The difference between the two is about a decade, you still being a sweet young thing like me tee hee.

Most of the studies I've seen regarding soy isoflavones focus on one in particular - *genestein*, which exhibits some estrogen-like effects, including enhancing calcium absorption in bones. As long as we're still menstruating and producing our own natural estrogen, I see no need to take a supplement, but just my opinion of course. Besides enhancing calcium absorption, genestein-containing supplements are promoted for relieving other symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes and night sweats.

A caution about genestein and the other soy isoflavones is that the estrogen-like effects CAN stimulate cancer cells that are particularly sensitive to estrogen - breast and ovarian (and prostate cancer in men too). In fact, the Breast Cancer Awareness group is cautioning patients to avoid soy in any shape or form. You should discuss this with your health care provider, if it's a concern for you.

I enjoy soy foods, and eat them often enough, but I don't go overboard. All things in moderation, eh?? My take is to get the nutrients from the whole food as much as possible.

Other things to do to prevent osteoporosis:

1.) calcium - from supplements, dairy foods, canned fish bones, almonds & sesame seeds, broccoli and cabbage

2.) vitamin D - produced in our bodies from sunlight. Note, the minimum exposure is one hour daily. Fine in summer, not fine in winter. I take cod liver oil capsules over the winter months just to be sure. The only other food source is fortified milk, which is high carbs. note - no other dairy product has added vit.D, only milk.

3.) weight-bearing exercise - studies show an increase of 10% in hip-bone density in post-menopausal women who participated in exercise involving gravity, such as walking, jogging, aerobic step, rebounding (mini-trampoline), etc. Note, swimming, lifting weights, stationary "machines" etc did not yield the same positive effect on bones, although they are certainly excellent exercises for other reasons - heart, strength, etc.

My suggestion, for what it's worth - save yer money!! Eat and enjoy soy foods like tofu and shakes, get plenty of calcium and vitamin D, and keep up with your exercise regimen. When the time comes, you can discuss soy isoflavone vs. hormone replacement therapy with your doctor.

from Doreen

#3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-00, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Thanks, Doreen!

Sounds like good sensible advice. I've added cod liver oil to my shopping list. I've never been much of a milk drinker even pre-Atkins, and I live in Vancouver, here on the Wet, I mean West Coast. So I could probably really use a D supplement.

Have any of you ever read that short story by, I think, Isaac Asimov, about these people who live on this planet where it rains all the time and the sun only comes out for an hour once every 10 years? Boy, can I relate!

Rachel