Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 22:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

LCantina & All,
Congratulations on your success!! I've read thru the entire forum, and find your results motivating & VERY encouraging. If you don't mind, I have a question reguarding the amount of calories consumed during both the up & down phases. How did you come up with those numbers (1200/20 & 1800/60)? I understand the carb counts to keep insulin resistance at bay, but how would I figure out how to determine how many calories for each phase?
Thanks in advance for your answer.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 05:18
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Hi Meltingfst!

I came up with 1200 because I thought it was about as low as anyone could/should go from reading other posts/articles, etc. Also - I find as a practical measure that it's just about impossible for me to keep from getting hungry on less. I can be satisfed on 1200.

I came up with 1700-1800 because when I started this I was at 166 pounds. I just used the 10x rule and came up with about 1700. There was no real method to it.

You would probably want to use something more like 1500 and 2000. But this is really ALL an experiment, so go ahead and experiment. Use what I've been doing as a starting point, and then make changes to suit yourself!

Penelope: Your post really warmed my heart. I am so very hopeful that this will help others. Yes, get your ducks in a row and come join us.

Bernadine: Stay calm, stay focused. You're doing fine. Just follow the book for now. MANY MANY people never need to do anything other than follow Dr. Atkins' plan.

wcollier: , and thanks for the backup

BawdyWench: Thanks for the backup

NancyLC: Thanks for the backup

BTW: I was carb UP yesterday, and LOST 1/2 a pound. Go Figure!

Anita
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 07:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/244/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ok fellow cyclers....I have found this experiment to be true! I carbed up this weekend at my nephews b-day party (had a piece of cake). I had a 5 lb gain (I am sure it was water weight) got scared and went right back to carb down. Well here it is Tues. and I am 1/2 lighter then when I started the carb up. So I am now a believer!!! I will keep everyone posted. Thanks guys...esp. Anita!!!
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 07:20
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Way to go Twistermom! Congratulations! I hope it keeps working for you. We want a whole lot more than just 1/2 a pound!

However, I don't remember saying anything about cake being a part of carb up...
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 07:23

BF:

I know I know.....and it really didn't taste as good as I remember. Next time will be with veggies! I promise!!!
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 09:27

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I just started a journal, that way for reference I can track my carb cycling better. Feel free to stop by.

I started carb up yesterday, tom came today, and already have put back on 1.5lbs. I am now just shy of 150. I don't want to regain everything on carb up, but thinking weight gain could be due to tom. If I get back up to 151, I may need to go to carb down sooner. I don't usually gain a lot with tom, but it's not uncommon for my weight to float around from day to day.

What's your thought on this Anita? Maybe this carb up cycle should be shorter?
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 09:58
Thank You Dr. Atkins

TOM sure does get in the way!

I'm not sure. I guess I would go by my average weight gain on TOM, and take that out of the equation. You didn't gain any weight on your first carb up. Did you do anything different this time that would account for such a jump? If not, then you can probably blame TOM and not worry about it.

Your plan to stop carb up once you hit 151 sounds very reasonable.

Perhaps someone else has a thought?

Anita
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 12:04

BF:

thanks anita. how's your carb cycling going? I've peeked over at your journal, but haven't posted there yet. Looks like you are still losing though, which is great.

As for the carb up,I'm not doing anything different than I did before.
For TOM, I think I usually put on one lb, maybe 2lb at most. Yeah, I think I'll go to carb down if I go up to 151.

Last edited by nepeta : Tue, Aug-31-04 at 12:27.
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 12:52
Thank You Dr. Atkins

nepeta: Yes, still losing and still enjoying this MUCH more than what I was doing before. Cycles 5 and 6 definitely slowed down for me. I got a little sloppy on cycle 5 and the UP of cycle 6, so that certainly could have contributed. The down of 6 I was very strict, and I'm being careful with my current carb up.

Why the slow down? Well, could be I've reached a little bit of a plateau. But, I am still losing, so it's definitely NOT a stall. Also - could be that I just don't have much more to lose so my body is slowing me down. Could be just a fluke! We'll see as I continue.

Yesterday was day one of Carb Up for me. I actually LOST 1/2 pound. I had decided not to let myself gain more than 1 on this carb up. I think that the lighter you are, the less you should allow yourself to gain. So, now I can gain 1.5 pounds. No, I'll start my pound from where I am now.
Also - I think this Carb Up, besides being very careful, I'm going to only go 3 days and see what happens.

I had to modify my sig line because I ran out of room, but I'll still keep posting daily what's going on.

And - anyone else who has any results. Please post!
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 15:12

BF:

wow anita you are getting really close to your goal, how exciting. it wouldn't surprise me that the last pounds would come off slower for you. great that you lost 1/2lb on carb up
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 18:49

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

I am trying Anita's trick. Gotta' get the metabolism moving!
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

Anita,
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes.
  #148   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, UNYBP
Stats: 155/142/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I have been reading your posts and find cycling very interesting and would like to try it. I started atkins and was on induction. I lost 6 lbs and that was it. After two weeks nothing moved. I really don't take stalls well and went off. thanks for the info.
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 05:31

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I'm not doing very well at this, but that is because I'm not doing it at all! I just can't seem to get mentally geared up for being strict these days. I'm buying lots of eggs today---maybe deviled eggs with help.
  #150   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 06:08

BF:

Ok guys....down another 1/2 lb. I am loving this! Thanks so much for starting this thread!!!