Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 18:56

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Sometimes Carborite is so inovative (I think Atlast bars were possibly the first LC candy w/ erythritol and inulin) yet they have not fixed their major trans fat problem and they just keep putting out new products which I don't eat b/c most of them still have a huge amount of maltitol. The only thing I eat by them is their Mint Chocolate Atlast bars. Those are very good.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 23:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I refuse to give up my Mission LC tortillas, trans fats or not. I can't stomach most of the other brands out there and they make my life SO much easier. I love the fiber, too. (And I'd hate for them to use lard, because the vegetarian and kosher members of the family wouldn't be able to eat them anymore.)
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 03:29

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Sorry you could not go for the lard. This other post I made helps explain why I recommended it:
"I have read some in the Hampton's Diet book and from the evidence I suspect MacNut Oil is extremely heathy and I ordered some for my mother, as I like to research and help design food, rather than actually prepare it.
I also wrote to them that they should create and sell MacNut oil Mayo and other dressings and such.
I also believe that olive oil*, avocado oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, pecan oil, high-oleic sunflower oil*, high-oleic safflower oil*, and even super canola oil due to their very high monounsaturated and decent, if not perfect omega ratios are healthful oils and should be used in foods according to their various smoke points.
I also find Enova very intriguing (http://www.enovaoil.com/) -- I am very pro-technology and specialty items.

In terms of saturated fats I think cocoa butter (1/3 stearic acid, 1/3 monounsaturated fat) and non-hydrogenated lard (45% monounsaturated) are probably best and I hate it when I see hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils in low carb foods and I often email companies to complain about this."
*these are best used for salad dressings and baking below 300 F.

Most companies won't use high quality monunsaturated oils because of the expense. I really like Carb Watchers tortillas by Labrada (I tried the Sun Dried tomato version), but they use soy oil which is not the best as it is mostly polyunsaturated.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 05:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 172/148/124 Female 5 ft.
BF:
Progress:

carolyn c,

i have to agree with you, total protein is one of the best low carb products, i have tried, i just love it.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 10:14

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I also like Total Protein. With a paqcket of Splenda, a few blueberries, and hood milk, it is very good.

I would add International Delight low carb flavored coffee creamers to the "avoid" list. I saw this on sale last week and picked up a bottle. It went right back on the shelf as soon as I read the ingredients. When will they figure out that most low-carbers are lable-readers and we don't want all that crap in our bodies? Good grief, SUGAR as the second ingredient? Why would I use that when real cream and DaVinci syrup is just as easy?
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/158/150 Female 5'4"
BF:ohmy!..not
Progress: 94%

ummmm.... I might be the only one here, but Hood milk (white)... YUCK!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 19:25
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I don't like the regular Hood Carb Countdown white milk, but the 2% version is much better. (I was surprised because I'd assumed that full fat would taste best.)
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 06:34

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

i'm sick of seeing sugar in lc products as well. how can they call it low carb?

anyway, almost all of the carborite candies and cookies have trans fats. (or ARE trans fats, as someone stated. fun experiment: drop a cookie in a cup of tea. turns your tea to slime.) i think the most disgusting bar i've ever tried was the chocolate toffee carborite candy. ugh!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 08:41

Stats: 215/191/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Walden Farms "No Carbs" strawberry fruit spread. I haven't tried any of the other flavors, but the strawberry was really artificial tasting. (Duh!) What was I expecting?! lol

Aside from the taste, though, which is somewhat bearable, considering what it is, the absolute worst part is the coloring that's in it. Be warned! If you get it on your hands it is very difficult to get off! We're talking scrub your fingers under scalding hot water with brown laundry soap and steel wool. I shudder to think what might happen if I got it on my clothes. It's not that I'm a messy eater. It's just an occupational hazard when one tries having a PB&J on a low carb wrap. . . Squirt city. Anyway, you have been warned.

BTW, nice avatar, Pecan. My wife & I have a baby female albino hedgy.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 03:20

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Hi guys....
Ok, I haven't been here in a while but I came on just to tell you about the worst thing I've had in my whole life and got distracted by the recipe page for about 3 hours. Anyways ...It's that Keto instant oatmeal. BLECH!!! I opened a packet, mouth watering thinking "Oh boy, I can eat oatmeal now instead of flaxseed meal all the time." I was grossed out immediately, started looking around to see which of my four kids had barfed . REALLY! I'm not kidding!!! Not seeing anything, I proceeded to pour the hot water in. Then the smell got worse and I realized that it was coming from the bowl of oatmeal. I immedately threw it down the disposal! Not only did it smell like barf, It looked that way too. My kids thought so too! It took all day to get rid of the smell in my kitchen. I probably shouldn't have put it down the disposal but rather dumped it down the toilet. YUCK! I'm confused though, there is a recipe for oatmeal cookies that someone said they used keto oatmeal in, I'm wondering if it was different than the instant junk I bought, like just oats or something. I'm afraid to buy the other stuff. Oh...and...actually the other thing not to buy is those donut mixes in the Atkins magazine. I took one bite and spit each of the two kinds out, I bought 3 kinds, tried two (the 2nd one I made my daughter make cuz I didn't want to even deal with it- but she wanted me to try one cuz SHE made it so I did, against my better judgement) and I still haven't had the guts to try the third kind. They're not Atkins brand but they're in his magazine. Can't remember the name of them right now. Anyways, I need to get some shuteye..I haven't been on in soooo long that I sat and read recipes and realized now that it's almost 3 in the morning. I'm going to be dog tired tomorrow, and I'm caffeine free now...bummer! Oh well, maybe a small cup won't hurt. Annie
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 06:08

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloveman
I refuse to give up my Mission LC tortillas, trans fats or not. I can't stomach most of the other brands out there and they make my life SO much easier. I love the fiber, too. (And I'd hate for them to use lard, because the vegetarian and kosher members of the family wouldn't be able to eat them anymore.)

I dont think those tortillas are worth your life are they? There are plenty other low carb tortillas that are better than the mission and have no trasnfats in them. Try these for example:

http://www.netrition.com/tumaros_tortillas_page.html

very very good, and no transfats.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 06:09

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Other foods with transfats:

Doritos Edge
Cheetos Edge
Many of the low carb ice-creams
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 10:04

Stats: 260/213/199 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

AnnieFelac,

I have the Keto hot cereal in strawberries and cream, and it is very good. You might try that instead of the oatmeal.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 21:25
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Ok... have to throw my two cents in... Total Protein is good for something crunchy (I sometimes put it in a baggie and pretend I have a little bag of chips). And yes it is good with some berries and Hood 2% milk (I also tried the regular and found it icky) HOWEVER! I wish they wouldn't put sugar and corn syrup in it. Seems like they could have used something else (splenda?!?).

I also wish there were more low-carb options available that didn't use soy protein. I have to be very careful not to consume too much because it messes with my thyroid medication.

I tried the Keto hot blueberries and cream once... and only once, I'll take my home-made flaxmeal cereal over that anyday!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 23:43
Registered Member

Plan: My own and Lindora
Stats: 302/295/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 4%

Soy messes with thyroid medication?? Uh oh.