Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 21:38

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default D3 too high

I was taking a lot of vitamin D for a long time and my level went to 87. I am supposed to bring it down now but I'm finding my mood plummeted when I reduced my dose. Any tips on how to proceed? I am supposed to take 1000 per day but I don't think that is going well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 00:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Do you have another health issue going on to have someone tell you that 87 is too high? That sounds fantastic to me, assuming it's in the nmol/L unit. A reference range that says it should be 20-40 is antiquated - that's just to barely avoid ricketts. Optimal vitamin D levels should probably be above 60... and I've even seen it recommended to be above 100 by the Vitamin D Society.

I take about 5000 IU per day in winter, less in summer, and my last result was 110. I just looked up the lab's reference range and it's actually 75-250.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 03:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

As long as you take K2 with the D3 it's not a problem, I understand. 87 sounds GOOD.

It's a bit scary, but

a) all these RDAs and levels were set to avoid stark deficiency

b) I'd go with mood. Unless we are on certain other kinds of substances , that's a reliable indicator of well-being.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 09:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I believe you're fine with those levels. Make sure you are using the correct test: specifically, the 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D test. Result should be equal to or greater than 50.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 10:48

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
As long as you take K2 with the D3 it's not a problem, I understand. 87 sounds GOOD.
Interesting, I was just reading or seeing a video or something the other day (damn, hate it when I can't remember). Anyway whoever it was was talking about vitamin D3 and how important it was to take K2 with it.

It stuck with me because in all my years in the LCHF world I had read so much about optimal D3, and never once until this week had I read that you needed to take K2 with it.

Well, I shouldn't say *never* I suppose. I remember years back my son's goal for making money was to create a tablet that included D3, K2 and vitamin A, which he said was also important but only if balanced properly, and that all three needed to be balanced but were critical for health. He even did a little research on finding suppliers for all three of those. Nobody was making a pill that included them all at the time.

I do see pills at amazon now that do include both K2 and D3. I have them both as separate bottles. I do take both daily but wasn't even fully aware that I actually should. I guess I need to do some research on why both should be taken together. For the longest time I took D3 only without even thinking about taking K2.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 14:13
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

87 is a good reading. It's in the optimal range and will protect from cancers.

Dr. Holick a premier D3 expert in Boston, and me based on his behavior, likes to keep his vitamin D3 levels around 125.

I've had readings as high as 300 with no adverse results proved by an ultrasound order by my doctor on my soft tissues to prove my levels were dangerous. Tests came back with no damage.

Like I said I try to keep my readings around 125 but have no worries, except to reduce for a while is my reading gets above 200.

But that's just me.

I take D3, K2, magnesium, vitamin A, and a little calcium all together.

D3 and Vit. A should be balanced. K2 makes sure vitamin D3 is deposited where needed and not in soft tissue; magnesium is essential and works synergistically with D3; and calcium allows D3 to deposit calcium in the bones and not leach it from the bones because you didn't take enough.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 14:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:

Quote:
I remember years back my son's goal for making money was to create a tablet that included D3, K2 and vitamin A, which he said was also important but only if balanced properly, and that all three needed to be balanced but were critical for health.

Vitamin A is one thing I think I'm not getting enough of because of LC, since not eating carrots or sweet potatoes. Liver is a good source which I try to eat every couple of weeks.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sun, Mar-08-20 at 15:16.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 15:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My oncologist is fine with anything 50-100. One year I think it was 98 and he didn’t mention it, but I cut back supplement dose, kept the sun and foods and usual.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 16:41

BF:

Huh, interesting. I didn't research it much but I did see Chris Kresser is not happy with values that high. I will have to look into it more.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 21:14

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I know I feel the best ever at 10,000 units a day. Doc doesnt check blood numbers.....bet she doesnt know to check. No surprise there.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-20, 12:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Huh, interesting. I didn't research it much but I did see Chris Kresser is not happy with values that high. I will have to look into it more.
Yes, Chris says:
Quote:
The U.S. laboratory reference range for adequate 25(OH)D is 30 to 74 ng/mL, while the Vitamin D Council suggests a higher range of 40 to 80 ng/mL, with a target of 50 ng/mL

But a large body of evidence in the medical literature strongly suggests that optimal vitamin D levels might be lower than these figures. There is little to no evidence showing benefit to 25(OH)D levels above 50 ng/mL, and increasing evidence to suggest that levels of this magnitude may cause harm. Consequences of vitamin D toxicity include heart attack, stroke, kidney stones, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weight loss, and low bone density (18).

Furthermore, in most studies, taking vitamin D supplements does not decrease risk of death, cardiovascular disease, or other conditions. Based on an exhaustive review of over 1,000 studies in 2011, the Institute of Medicine recommends a much more conservative range of 20 to 50 ng/mL (19).
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-20, 16:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I don't know what mine is.

However, I slacked off and got a virus thing and started taking it again and got better. So I'm not going to play with my dosage in the middle of a global pandemic.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-20, 17:55

BF:

I started on it again and feel better. Just going to keep taking it.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-20, 18:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yes, Chris says:

Quote:
The U.S. laboratory reference range for adequate 25(OH)D is 30 to 74 ng/mL, while the Vitamin D Council suggests a higher range of 40 to 80 ng/mL, with a target of 50 ng/mL

But a large body of evidence in the medical literature strongly suggests that optimal vitamin D levels might be lower than these figures. There is little to no evidence showing benefit to 25(OH)D levels above 50 ng/mL, and increasing evidence to suggest that levels of this magnitude may cause harm. Consequences of vitamin D toxicity include heart attack, stroke, kidney stones, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weight loss, and low bone density (18).

Furthermore, in most studies, taking vitamin D supplements does not decrease risk of death, cardiovascular disease, or other conditions. Based on an exhaustive review of over 1,000 studies in 2011, the Institute of Medicine recommends a much more conservative range of 20 to 50 ng/mL (19).

The only articles I've seen that suggest that optimal vitamin D3 levels should be lower than 65-85 ng/mL were FUD articles. And I've been researching D3 for ~20 years now using PUBMED.

Those studies, I think deliberately:
Didn't use enough D3 to be effective
Didn't use with vitamin D3 co-factors
Didn't use D3 long enough to be effective
Used D2 instead of D3

Personally I've seen D3
bring about successful pregnancies and healthy babies
reverse autism in infants
cure or put breast cancer in remission
encapsulate breast cancer for easy removal
put prostate cancer in remission
put kidney cancer in remission
cure skin cancers
reverse osteopenia
alleviate arthritis
prevent sun burn
cure H1N1

Needless to say that Dr. Holick nor other vitamin D3 experts agree with the Institute of Medicine's vitamin D3 "facts" or recommendations.

I won't even go into the "so called" expert that testified before the FDA that higher vitamin D3 levers weren't needed, that D3 only affected bone growth, and the RDA for D3 should actually be lowered!!! Come to find out he held over 300 patents using vitamin D3 derivatives to treat cancers!!!

I guess I did go there, lol.

Do your own research!!!

Or even easier...read the Vitamin D3 thread on the forum.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Wed, Mar-11-20 at 03:45.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-20, 21:37

BF:

Well I take my D3 daily, currently 2000 IU gel caps, though occasionally I’ll pop 2-3 caps. Also take my K2. But it’s been years since I last had my D3 tested (it was 50-something at the time) so I have no clue what it might be right now!