Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 13:43

Plan: My Own
Stats: 184.2/175.8/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Quitting Smoking and LCing

Ok so, haven't had a smoke since Saturday.

Sunday was okay, stayed in bed most of the day.

Yesterday, didn't even care for one due to some anxiety issues I was having

Today, bad cravings. My question is, for those that have quit or in the process of trying etc, what did you do to keep from snacking/raiding the fridge when the urge to smoke hits?

Also, did your loss slow down?

Thanks Just trying to get a feel for what to expect!
Not the first time I've tried to quit BUT it is the first time I've tried while actively doing lc and cutting out caffeine.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 14:22

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Use the patch. This will take care of the physiological addiction so you can focus all your efforts on the psychological habits associated with smoking.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-10, 15:14
Princess PIA

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 210/176.6/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I wish you all the luck in the world on quiting smoking. I quit a year and a month ago, but didn't worry about food and weight gain at that time. Now I am paying for it with 50+ pounds to lose.

I did use the patch and it helped so much with the physical cravings, but I was so used to having something in my hand that I replaced that with food. Gum helped a bit with that as well.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 05:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/170/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:yep/got/some
Progress: 55%

Just to be clear.... you are quitting smoking and starting low carbing?? If you feel the need to raid the fridge, then raid it. Just make sure you reach for the allowed foods. You are not restricted on amounts of proper foods so if you need to eat, then eat!!! I wish you success. You are attacking two monsters at the same time... we all got your back... ; )
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 06:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/141/135 Female 5'3
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 85%

I quit last October.. I did it with Zyban. Was not a terribly hard transition either. The medication messes with the nicotine receptors in your brain and decreases your craving a LOT. I did gain a bit of weight.. that's why I'm here. Maybe (and I'm not saying you aren't capable of doing both) you should try quitting first and not worry to much about a little gain. It's HARD to lose weight, it's REALLY hard to quit smoking and doing both at the same time may just put you on the road to ruin. Myself I went to one of our bulk candy stores and bought a bunch of diabetic candies, had lot's of carrots and celery in the fridge all the time and I still wanted other things to eat so it was hard to not put on weight. If you are going to do both then add some activity to your day, go for a walk! Have a bottle of water handy always, when you crave have a drink, the craving witll pass within a minute or two. If you need help with quitting talk to your doctor! He/she can suggest many ways of helping you. Best of luck to you! No matter how you do it, if you keep trying you will accomplish both tasks
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 09:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd definitely use any pharmacological help you can get. After that I'd say if you want to stay LC and not have your weight loss derailed make sure everything in the fridge and pantry is LC and if you need to raid it, raid it! Maybe make some of the LC desserts we have in the cooking forums so you have some deliciousness on-hand to console yourself with. If you can't/don't cook then go get some salted nuts or something and pig out on them if you need to. You can use food as a crutch but if you keep it LC food, you're way ahead of the game once the "quitting" part gets easier.

But put the quit smoking thing first. You'll gain a big quality of life improvement from that, perhaps even a big quantity of life too!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 09:41

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 326.8/303.8/195 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

It took me several attemps to quit but I finally did for good about 4 1/2 years ago and I did gain a lot of weight when I quit. So I agree completely with luckypink1 and Nancy LC if you feel you need to eat go ahead and eat but stick to low carb foods. That way you won't derail your weight loss efforts.

Good Luck!
Matt
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 10:37

Plan: My Own
Stats: 184.2/175.8/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I got some patches so they help. Stocked up on celery, eggs and pork rinds yesterday. Also, I think I've walked more since Saturday than I have in a month

Weight is up but no smoking/no caffeine and TOM all at the same time is just a disaster.

I'm finding it a little easier with the no smoking thing this time around doing LC with it...kinda takes away some of the urge to eat since I'm not really hungry.

Thanks again!
Day 4 smoke free
Day 3 caffeine free
Week 4 LC
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 11:09

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I quit 12 years ago, cold turkey! This time I had really made up my mind and I didn't think of it as "trying to quit" -- it was "I've quit!" I think, if I were you, I'd move up a rung or two on the OWL ladder to the nuts and seeds rung and stock up on sunflower seeds in the shell. It's really hard to overeat the seeds when you have to crack each one open with your teeth, and it really helped me with the hand to mouth thing. If you do gain a little, so what? Quitting smoking is MUCH more important than weight, and once you're comfortable that you've beaten the smoking, then you can go back to induction levels and carry on with the weight loss.

Good luck - I hope this time is the winner for you!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 12:09
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

If nothing else works, and to eschew taking drugs, you can vape diluted nicotine with an e-cigarette or use those pouch things called "snus" I found the e-cigs helped the most as they are similar to the real thing, just not as strong or irritating.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010...in6362189.shtml
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 21:00

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

After numerous attempts to quit and after trying everything over the counter including patches, lozenges, and gum, I quit for good with the help of Chantix (by prescription). My last smoke was Nov.5th 2008. It was actually rather easy with the Chantix. I know many others who successfully quit using it. I took it for 2 full weeks before I quit smoking and never looked back. I did not gain a pound............. NOT A SINGLE POUND!! That was something I was really worried about. For the first day or so, I did alot of snacking but after that, I was fine. I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 17 years.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-10, 23:20
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Best of luck to you, xjennjennx! You will never regret quitting!

If you need some support on a daily basis, you might want to check out quitnet.com. It's free and kinda fun! I like the e-roses they send me to celebrate my quit anniversaries.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 21:42

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I quit about a month ago. My weight's the same, but I was eating way too many carbs during the first week.

I also put on a patch just to control my weight for a week or so. I'm thinking of getting more (I can get them free) to assist with weight loss for about six months.

Trust me: if I can do it, anyone can.