Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Is this diet made for guys?

From everything I've seen in here combined with some people I know who went on this plan it seems like guys loose the easiet on it.

Anyone else notice that?

My finance lost about 1 lb after 2 weeks and I lost 10lbs in the same time. Same thing with my friend Paul and his GF.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:59
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

No its not made for guys, its just that you guys have an advantage over us girls, you naturally have more muscle so you just naturally burn more fat because of that. Often too because you are usually bigger than us you might have more to lose than a woman and the more a person has to lose the faster it seems to come off. So its a good thing the Lord made us women so wise and patient isn't it
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:05
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi jplush! I noticed that too. It seems like the guys lose easy. But alot of the females, including me, have a hard time losing .

red
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:16

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Seems like a guy only has to give up beer or snacks and he takes it off, especially if he does physical work. We girls on the other hand are always being protected from famine by Mother Nature. Waaaay too much protection for the modern world.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am a guy and I have lost about 10lbs in about 4 weeks. That amounts to about 15% of my way towards my goal weight. I suspect that isn't too far off the norm if you go by the thought that you lose 10% during the first 2 weeks and then 5% per month afterwards.

I suspect muscle is probably a huge factor. As pointed out, guys probably have more muscle, thus burn more calories. That said, guys probably intake more calories too. I suspect what might be more important is whether the person had enough muscle mass in the first place, especially if that person participated in many 'starvation' type diets (i.e. calorie reduced diets). These diets would have the effect of reducing muscle mass. This WOE promote muscle growth. If you didn't have sufficient muscle mass before hand, you body may be playing catchup. We all know that for the same volume of muscle weights more than fat. So, my question for jplush76 is, has your fiance lost inches?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:24

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Default gee, thanks MOM!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BarbCA
We girls on the other hand are always being protected from famine by Mother Nature.

I'm an adult now... stop protecting me!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by BarbCA
Seems like a guy only has to give up beer or snacks and he takes it off, especially if he does physical work. We girls on the other hand are always being protected from famine by Mother Nature. Waaaay too much protection for the modern world.

For many guys, cutting out beer and snacks is like cutting out three quarters of everything they take in.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:28

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

My husband had a real easy time with Atkins - lost 15 lbs effortlessly in less than 2 months (he only needed to lose 20). He also bulked up his physique (protein) by lifting weights. He looks better now than in his 20's!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:03

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I think men lose faster no matter what diet they are on...and its not fair.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:04
Registered Member

Stats: 245/207/195 Male 5'11"
BF:33/26/21
Progress: 76%

Except for giving up some of the foods I love, this diet has been pretty easy for me too. I have lost 36 pounds since Dec 14 without doing any kind of exercise. Although, I know it wont happen but it would be nice if it kept coming off this easy.

Jeff
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:22

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

It is certainly true, for all the reasons stated above, that big guys do lose pounds easily on the Atkin's eating plan.

But there are a couple of hidden issues that should be considered while basking in the glow sudden, steady weight loss:

1. A fair number of us guys have very great insulin resistance, and for us, it is harder to lose than for those who have not deteriorated to that point, or who have not inherited that tendency.

2. Big guys who fail to exercise A LOT will lose not only fat, but also a great deal of muscle, and will end up in much worse physical condition, and have greater health problems, than when we were fat.

This second problem does not happen so much with women as it does men, it can be a significant danger for men, especially for older men.

My main focus on the WOE is to maintain my strength and my muscle mass, more so than to focus on weight loss.

We have to make sure that we are losing only fat, and that is not so easy to do.

To be forewarned, is to be forearmed!! (And who doesn't need four arms, from time to time?)

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 294/220/210 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default a lot of it is about percentage

one cool thing I learned by reading is that we often look at "pounds" when we might want to be looking at percentage of body weight.

Ex: Let's say a guy weighing 300 pounds and gal weighing 150 pounds both go on LC diets the same day. After two months the guy has lost 30 pounds and the gal has lost only 15. Seems like its working much better for the guy, right?

But in the perspective of percentages, both have lost exactly ten percent of their body weight. Percentage-wise, they lost the same amount, and both can be thrilled with that progress.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:52
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

AND they can write their names in the snow. Just not fair.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 20:09

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Oh, yeah.

In script, even!!

hee hee
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 330/290/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally posted by Paleoanth
AND they can write their names in the snow. Just not fair.

Hey, I have a female cousin and when we were kids, so should she! (She'd break my neck if she knew I posted it, but since I'm not naming her...)

I think part of it has to do with what men eat, versus what women eat.
Part of it has to do with whether you do some kind of physical work.

For example, a Man who works in an office, probably wouldn't lose as much as a woman who does physical work.

Tim