Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 17:08

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Chaffles

Gee, until a couple months ago I had never heard of these things and suddenly they were everywhere! I assumed they would be discussed here too and in fact I’ve seen posts about them in people’s journals. But I went to search here, and I mean the advanced search function where google is used to search the lowcarber site, and whether I type chaffle or chaffles I keep getting zero hits, telling me to double-check my spelling? I know the basic search has never really worked but is the advanced google search also having issues?

Quote:
**** Your search - Chaffle site:forum.lowcarber.org - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try fewer keywords. ****

Who else is a chaffle fan? They’ve become a new fave of mine. But here is my burning question... How do you PRONOUNCE “chaffle”? Since it seems to be a portmanteau word combing cheese and waffle it seems like it should rhyme with waffle (choffle?) but I can’t bring myself to pronounce it like that. I want to pronounce the “chaff” part to rhyme with chaff as in “the wheat and the chaff”. I’ve never hear anyone say it, only read the word. Do we have a consensus here? I don’t want to be in the wrong. 😉

Last edited by Merpig : Thu, Sep-26-19 at 13:40.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 17:21

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I had never heard of this, and omg, thank you!
Now I need to buy a waffle iron.

What do you top them with? Egg/avo/bacon and tomato all are sounding good!

Last edited by Robin120 : Thu, Sep-26-19 at 08:38.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 17:46

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

First I heard of Chaffles was on the Keto-connect site, and in the videos Matt pronounces it "CHAW-fuls", which even he admits is a terrible sounding name for them.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 17:48

BF:

They are awesome. I used the basic recipe (1/2 cup shredded mozzarella and one egg, blended) which makes two chaffles in the adorable DASH mini waffle maker (about $10 at amazon and cute as a button, and barely takes up any room). With mozzarella they are fairly neutral in taste so can go either sweet or savory. I’ve layered them with mayo, lettuce, tomato and liverwurst. I’ve also made pizza chaffles with a little sauce, some more cheese, other toppings. I’ve also had them with butter and some SF maple-flavored syrup. All pretty yummy. And so quick and easy. About 30 seconds to blend the egg and shredded cheese, then a little over three minutes in the waffle maker.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 17:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
First I heard of Chaffles was on the Keto-connect site, and in the videos Matt pronounces it "CHAW-fuls", which even he admits is a terrible sounding name for them.
well since that seems to rhyme with AWFUL I’d have to agree with him!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 18:15

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I ran across these on some LC food blog some time ago, and made it/them for the first time a couple of days ago. Basic recipe, but added a spoonful or two of almond flour to add a bit of heft. The recipe makes two minis (as mentioned above) but made one in a standard waffle iron. I ate it with a couple of strips of bacon. Really very nice, and I will make them again (topped with mushrooms in cream sauce? Or creamed spinach? Or ... ?)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 18:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Chaw-fuls is right! I deal with them daily on FB. If I there is any ingredient like almond flour, whey, or whatever I can remove. But the plain egg and cheese ones stay:

"It's time to reign in posts with photos of food that push the boundaries of the (page 4) protocol as followed in this group. And, not for nothing, but enough of the so-called "chaffles" with almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber, whey isolate, etc., Let's step away from the fake versions of food that got us in trouble in the first place. Going forward, posts will be deleted if they include photos or recipes that stray from the protocol. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...."

My comments on chaffles: Do not consume baked goods, junk foods, or treats with “approved” ingredients. Recreating or buying sweets, treats, and foods-with-no-brakes (even if the ingredients are technically compliant) is missing the point, and won’t lead to habit change. These are the same foods that got you into health-and-craving trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, even if it’s made with coconut flour.

(This is my own opinion but borrowed from the Whole 30 approach)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 20:11

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Chaw-fuls is right! I deal with them daily on FB. If I there is any ingredient like almond flour, whey, or whatever I can remove. But the plain egg and cheese ones stay:

"It's time to reign in posts with photos of food that push the boundaries of the (page 4) protocol as followed in this group. And, not for nothing, but enough of the so-called "chaffles" with almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber, whey isolate, etc., Let's step away from the fake versions of food that got us in trouble in the first place. Going forward, posts will be deleted if they include photos or recipes that stray from the protocol. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...."

My comments on chaffles: Do not consume baked goods, junk foods, or treats with “approved” ingredients. Recreating or buying sweets, treats, and foods-with-no-brakes (even if the ingredients are technically compliant) is missing the point, and won’t lead to habit change. These are the same foods that got you into health-and-craving trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, even if it’s made with coconut flour.

I kind of agree, but not in this particular case. Certainly if one is pouring maple syrup over the waffle/chaffle it's not a good idea, but adding a spoonful of almond flour doesn't make the thing evil. The recipe makes 1 normal sized waffle, not a pile enticing to overeat. Can also of course be made without the almond, but then it might be too "eggy"; can't say, I haven't tried it. This isn't something I would have tried at the beginning (and would perhaps suggest others avoid also when still learning the ropes), but after close to 7 years LCing I think an easy, quick small meal like this is perfectly acceptable. Of course, I have no binge tendencies, and lost my desire for breadstuffs awhile ago. Others may find that avoiding these is a better plan. We are all individuals, and not all of us are sucked into bad eating habits with one waffle impersonator.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 22:40

BF:

Yes the basic recipe is just a half cup of shredded cheese and one egg. I haven’t felt a need to add any almond flour and I like the taste and texture. I’ve gotten so bored with eggs so being able to have a chaffle has given me a new and enjoyable way to have an egg without the overpowering urge to go off-plan due to boredom. Plus I love that my grandkids like them and when they have sleepovers I can serve them “waffles” freshly make, without having any of the nastier ingredients in the house, though I do keep some maple syrup around for them, not for me.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 00:44

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
But here is my burning question... How do you PRONOUNCE “chaffle”? Since it seems to be a portmanteau word combing cheese and waffle it seems like it should rhyme with waffle (choffle?) but I can’t bring myself to pronounce it like that. I want to pronounce the “chaff” part to rhyme with chaff as in “the wheat and the chaff”. I’ve never hear anyone say it, only read the word. Do we have a consensus here? I don’t want to be in the wrong. 😉

It definitely rhymes with waffle. "Chaffle" may be a rather inelegant portmanteau, but it's better than "wheese!"

The best chaffle videos are on the SeriousKeto channel on youtube. I love this guy's videos. He is very professional and gets right to the point. He has several chaffle videos. This is a good one to start with https://youtu.be/MBhweOSHd14

Last edited by HappyLC : Thu, Sep-26-19 at 00:51.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 05:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I kind of agree, but not in this particular case. Certainly if one is pouring maple syrup over the waffle/chaffle it's not a good idea, but adding a spoonful of almond flour doesn't make the thing evil. The recipe makes 1 normal sized waffle, not a pile enticing to overeat. Can also of course be made without the almond, but then it might be too "eggy"; can't say, I haven't tried it. This isn't something I would have tried at the beginning (and would perhaps suggest others avoid also when still learning the ropes), but after close to 7 years LCing I think an easy, quick small meal like this is perfectly acceptable. Of course, I have no binge tendencies, and lost my desire for breadstuffs awhile ago. Others may find that avoiding these is a better plan. We are all individuals, and not all of us are sucked into bad eating habits with one waffle impersonator.

Sorry, I should explain. On FB, I'm an Admin for Dr. Westman's support group. If it ain't on page 4, the recipe doesn't fly. No Nuts. End of story.
Not to worry, you would be amazed how many Chaffle photos still show up even following the stricter clinic rules.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 10:23

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:

Luckily, LC covers a wide range of eating habits for a wide range of people. I'm not one for the asetic approach. I'm a big fan of LC baking and don't feel the need to change that habit. These foods don't cause health and craving problems for many of us. And happily a waffle is not still a waffle if it's made with healthy, low-carb ingredients that net out to something on-plan. Since I don't follow "page 4" I don't have to worry about such strictness.

I've never made a chaffle, but I do have two waffle recipes that I like to make. Neither quite matches up to a real waffle, but they're both good in their own way. They both freeze well, so I can make a batch and just pull one out when I'm in the occasional mood for a waffle. One is made with a mix of coconut and almond flours and since it uses coconut oil can be easily dairy free. It's a great option to make blueberry waffles. The other is made with a combo of nut flours and butter.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 10:35

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Sorry, I should explain. On FB, I'm an Admin for Dr. Westman's support group. If it ain't on page 4, the recipe doesn't fly. No Nuts. End of story.
Not to worry, you would be amazed how many Chaffle photos still show up even following the stricter clinic rules.

I think maybe ypu got confused about where the post was because this was posted on General Lowcarb. Lots of us can eat stuff like this and be fine, although I appreciate the Whole 30 principle behind not eating low carb baked goods. I don't tjink I've heard of Westman, let alone page 4!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 15:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212.5/156.5/160 Female 5’6”
BF:
Progress: 107%

I say it like waffle but with a ch. I think the beauty of these is that they are Induction-friendly, just 2 ingredients, cheese and egg. I use almond flour from time to time but see no need to put it in my chaffles. I like mozzarella or jack cheese the best. Super great for making sandwiches.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 20:42

BF:

Yes, two ingredients, that’s all I use. I find the mozzarella the most versatile but I’ve tried parmesan, cheddar, jack cheese. They were all good too. Every so often I treat myself to about 4 ounces of liverwurst at the local deli and the adorable little round chaffle and the round liverwurst slices make a perfect combo. 😉