Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: Modified for women induction between 10-15 gms per day
Stats: 135/135/120
BF:
Progress:
Default Gaining???? Please H-E-L-P!!!

This is my second time on this diet or the induction part. I have remained a loyal low carb person since I lost 30 pounds originally a year or so ago. However I had gradually increased my daily carb intake to somewhere around 50 gms a day and maintained since the loss.

Although I came close I NEVER did reach my final goal and still have 15 pounds to loose.

So on the 10th of July, I went back on to the induction, I eat 10 carbs knowingly and give myself a 10 hidden carb doorway just in case. I have GAINED three pounds in the week since I have started. I need some encouragement that this MAY be normal and I will see results soon. I worry that I have been eating low carb for so long that the induction may not work for me!

Any ideas????:
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-01, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins, Carb Solutions,my own modified
Stats: 156/128/&;130
BF:
Progress:
Default WEIGHT GAIN...HELP

or should I say weight. I lost 28 lbs. And I had been doing so well, and this past week, I gained two lbs. And feel like I lost touch with the low carb, I do fine and then about mid afternoon, I get this time where I just want to eat. I've been on this diet my second time also. And I don't want to go and redo it all over. I have Fibromyalgia, and had back surgery so I need to watch my weight as not to put to much pressure on my back, as for my FM its just something I have to live with for the rest of my life. So if we could figure out what to do, it'd be great, I still want to lose at least 5-7lbs.more. And I will get going. I think I need a little push.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 07:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Water, water...water.

Measure yourselves ladies, don't depend on scales. They do tend to move up and down often.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 23:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 276/250/180
BF:
Progress:
Default AHH! ME TOO!

I started the Atkins diet about two years ago. I was one of the lucky ones who lost about 50 pounds in 4 months.
But now a year and a half later I have ooched back up 15 pounds. I CAN NOT get any higher. So thinking it would be just as easy this time, I got back on. No luck.
I'm scared that since I've abused the low-card diet the last several months, that it won't work this time?!?
Anyone who's been on, then off for several months who found success when they buckled back down...I would LOVE to hear from you. I need the boost.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 00:19

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Been there, done that!

I lost 31 pounds on low-carb but got off track during the uproar (excitement? stress?) of my daughter's wedding. I didn't get serious about it again until I'd gained the whole amount back.
This time the weight has held on harder, I'm losing more slowly, and I've had to be stricter about what I eat. That's the bad news.

The good news is that I am losing. The even better news is that it has become so easy to eat low-carb now. As long as I don't cheat, I don't miss high-carb foods and I never have cravings. I enjoy this WOE, and I enjoy the way I feel. Losing weight is almost a bonus.

So keep at it , Amuse. Keep tweaking your system, and don't give up. (You'll hate the alternative!)

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 05:28
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by amusemeluv
...So thinking it would be just as easy this time, I got back on. .....I'm scared that since I've abused the low-card diet the last several months, that it won't work this time?!?
hi amusemeluv, welcome to our forum ...

Weight loss is always harder the second (or fourth or fifth) time around, no matter what program you follow. The fact that you had such a successful weight loss with lowcarb, then gained when you went back to eating carbs suggests that you are very sensitive to them (so am I .. ) It may well be that if you're to maintain the weight and fat loss in future, you may never go back to eating the way you did before lowcarb. This is why many of us veteran lowcarbers call this a way of life (WOL)

Did you go right back to strict Induction, 20 total carbs per day?? No lowcarb bars, baked goods, lowcarb desserts, ketopasta etc?? Real natural food - meats, eggs, dairy, salads and vegetables. Natural fats, such as butter and olive oil? And are you drinking lots and lots of water?? Um, what about exercise? The Induction should get you back into ketosis, if you are doing it to the letter. Are you weighing and measuring your carbs?? I find that I have to get the scales and measuring spoons out every now and then ..... it's amazing how quickly the eyeball relaxes

I've been a chronic yo-yo dieter in the past. Each time was more difficult to lose than the last, and harder to keep it off afterward. This time, my weight loss has been very slow ... but the longer time is serving me well --- lowcarbing is becoming my habit, how I will eat for the rest of my life.

I'm sure the weight loss will get started up again soon, maybe you just need to make a few more changes for now. I'm looking forward to reading about your success!

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 07:30

BF:

Good advice, Doreen, especially about how strict you have to be during that induction phase.

Dalene, I woke up thinking about your first post here. Have you had a breakthrough yet?

Keep on plugging at it, everybody. Don't give up!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 07:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Kay,

No breakthroughs yet. I am getting even more strick on my carb intake. I put my typical menu on the journal site this morning in case anyone can give me any ideas on what I am doing wrong!
Thanks for asking!
Dalene
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 12:59

BF:

Dalene, it sounds like you are dealing with this very intelligently. Don't give up. You'll find the solution!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 17:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Is this dogdays afternoon?

It's been a struggle this week, I get up and think ok your going to be strict and then I want to eat something. I'm at 131 and still fighting with the wanting to eat and taste. I think having this FM, and it flaring up, is making me have an excuse to comfort my body by eating. But darn, I know it isn't a great comfort for me to put pounds on. I'm not going to give up.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 03:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Smile

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I know I am eating right so I have decided to NOT get on the scale everyday. Next weigh day is monday the 30th of July. Hopefully after a full week, I will have something good to report!

Dalene
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 09:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Excellent decision Dalene. Hide that scale!

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 10:27

BF:

Time to share a pearl of wisdom. Monday was always my weigh-day until I realized this. If you overdo it at all, even in a low-carb way, it will be on the weekend - family together, friends over, etc. As a result, weigh-days can reflect that and be very depressing. If you weigh on Fridays after being good all week, you'll probably like what you see more, and by the next Friday any small week-end indulgence has been absorbed and won't show up on the scale.

(My week-end treat is coffee with whipped cream. Not a big deal, but it can slow things down.)
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: modified PP
Stats: 186/150/130
BF:
Progress: 64%

Dalene,

Good decision not to weigh daily (although I still struggle with the scale).

To give you an idea of how inaccurate scales can be, if I wake up and immediately weigh myself, I am 1 pound heavier than if I wake up, walk for a minute and then weigh myself. Am I actually losing a pound a minute? I don't think so! Weird but true.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 09:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default That awful 5 letter word..

I know what you mean by my most thing I fight with "THE SCALE".. I will step on it two or three and maybe even the 4th time. And it's like a game and see the best number win.(LOL) I lost 1 lb. this week, so I feel good, thinking I'm not gaining, now its the weekend and I need to be careful on what I eat. Everyone have a nice weekend.