Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 07:31

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

tigersue....adorable kid

Donna, I'm in the same boat. But I'm not kicking myself. I gained 1 lb in the last 2 weeks, eating too many carbs just like you. Not everyday, but enough for me to feel a difference in my energy levels, etc. I did enjoy the Ben & Jerry's ice cream immensely last weekend, and food at the Pancake House on Mother's Day....and...well you get the picture. But now I'm moving on. I'm going to peruse the recipe section for a good breakfast recipe.

I had such a great weekend including Mother's Day. Saturday we finally had a family day all to ourselves, which we haven't had in way to long. We did a lot of lounging around together, watched a movie on tv, etc. So relaxing. Mother's Day we did the restaurant thing with my mother-in-law, spent some time at her place afterward, then stopped at my mom's, then came home and relaxed the rest of the night.

I just wanted to mention I've been doing the Prenatal Yoga dvd and it is great! I feel my body getting stronger and more flexible every time I do the 50 minute work-out. It's also energizing and relaxing.

Hope everyone is feeling good.

Oh yeah, and I've been feeling little baby kicks
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 13:21

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I had my Dr. appt. yesterday and all seems to be well. I was down 1lb from last month, and the baby seems to be fine. My nephew and his wife, had their baby last night, a 7lb 13oz baby boy.
I'm starting to eat better, still some struggles, but I'm doing better in general. Today for lunch I had a low carb tortilla, with swiss cheese, spinach, parmesan cheese, and turkey. Very yummy.
Tanta
  #108   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 08:09

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I had my Dr Appt yesterday and I was up 7lbs. I got all teary and had to work at not crying, which is kind of silly since I already knew exactly what I weigh. So I have now gained 34 lbs in 21 weeks. I have yet to see anybody on any forum that has gained that fast. Today I am feeling a bit better, I tell myself that I would have 40 lbs to go, to be at the weight I was when I had my last baby, and it seems very realistic that I won't gain that much if I make a concious effort. But I certainly am not as optimistic as when I first started back on lowcarb. I am constantly amazed at how many plus-size women gain very little or even nothing (and they aren't on lowcarb) and yet I seem to be a fat-gaining machine. Is it that there are other people out there that gain alot too, they just don't post? Its kind of funny how for my last four pregnancys I didn't really care about gaining weight, I just enjoyed myself, eating constantly and piling on the pounds. Now, after losing 70lbs after my last baby, I am so worried about it. I stress about my weight more than I ever have in my life, and it really hasn't made a difference (except to depress me). I guess the only thing I can do is keep on trying to cut the carbs and be more strict with myself.
  #109   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 08:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178.5/168.5/100 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default TigerSue, What is TSP?

Is it a book? Also, what is the "Life" that you mentioned? Life magazine? Thanks!
  #110   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 08:38
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna I.
I have now gained 34 lbs in 21 weeks. I have yet to see anybody on any forum that has gained that fast. Today I am feeling a bit better, I tell myself that I would have 40 lbs to go, to be at the weight I was when I had my last baby, and it seems very realistic that I won't gain that much if I make a concious effort.

Hi Donna,

I'm pretty much exactly where you are, and I'm up about 25 lbs according to my scale. Originally, that's the gain I was ideally AIMING for, but now I've thrown that idea out the window. Yup, some people lose while they're pregnant. I have a friend who was probably close to 300lbs when she got pregnant, and she lost alot of weight. She wasn't doing lc, but when she got pregnant they put her on a much healthier diet than what she was previously eating, so it makes sense that she would then lose weight.

Honestly, I think there's been a really unfair amount of stress put on the idea of NOT gaining weight while you're pregnant. I'm happy that some people can do that and I do believe that it can be perfectly healthy to do so, but that doesn't mean it's UNHEALTHY to gain weight. It's totally NORMAL to gain weight while you're pregnant! I'm hoping that I don't put on too much weight over the next 20 weeks, but you know what? If I do, I know how to take it off after. I'm not pigging out on carby things, I'm keeping my sugars regulated and eating a reasonable amount of food. Lots of veggies and fruits, and plenty of protein too. If eating this way means weight gain, well so be it. I'm sure as hell not going to start dieting or decreasing my intake. I'm relatively careful about white foods, and doing the very best that I can. There's nothing more that anyone could ask of you, and that includes YOURSELF!

I hope you're feeling better Donna, and you should seriously stop berating yourself. Fourkids {Kathy, and now FIVE!} had a baby in November. She gained over 40 lbs with him, and it's already gone plus some more. You've lost SEVENTY POUNDS, Donna, and you know how to do it! If you gain more weight than anticipated, you'll lose it. Everything is different once you've found lc...

Jenn
  #111   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Donna... I'm in the same boat you are!!
I'm panicking because every two weeks I'll notice how much FATTER I actually am. I don't mean how much bigger my round belly is, but how much wider my hips are and how much more cellulite there is on my butt and thighs.

I don't know what it is that makes me feel like I have so little control over the amounts I eat but it's very upsetting. Occasionally though, I have times where I have a reality check and I will think yes.. I'm not proud of eating things that are making me gain so much weight but at least they're in excess of - and not instead of - the things which are healthy and will give my baby what it needs.

I know I said this in the beginning of the thread but my goal from now on really is the health and fitness - minimal gain. (laugh) I hate saying that because I said it before and didn't follow through but I've finished (as of yesterday) with that AWFUL school.. exams are over... and I feel like it's a fresh start now for my health without that negativity every day. Monday before my anatomy and physiology exam I fould myself stuffing jalapeno potato chips dipped in hotsauce into my face for breakfast. When I was finished I was like, why the heck did I do that? I have perfectly good and delicious milk and eggs in the fridge.. what is wrong with me???

Anyway.. the big move (to Germany) is coming up very soon and I'm starting to really feel it's presence. It's time to start packing, giving things away, getting rid of stuff.. ..and learning German
  #112   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 19:50

First question the two books are The Schwarzbein Principle, and the second is Life with out bread.

Donna:
Don't beat yourself up, feeling quilty and stressing is definetly not good for you and your baby. Do what you can, and remember everyone is different in pregnancy. I happen to loose when I'm pregnant. I personally believe it is because for once my hormones are acting the way they are suppose to. Except for the GD, which I have to control every carb I eat there is no room for error when I'm trying to stay off insulin, and keep my baby healthy. Which means, no milk, no juice, minimal fruit and usually that is just berries, occassionally I will eat pineapple (I love the stuff too much.), no simple carbs at all, and I eat as much low carb substitues as possible. Remember to focus on what you can do to feel good, and beyond that the goal should be a very healthy baby. Jenn is absolutely right in saying weight gain is not unhealthy, I think there is too much emphasis either way for the most part. If you are eating well balanced, you are fine. Please don't compare yourself to anyone else, you are not unusual at all. If you need to track your carbs, and really analyze what you are eating and when and why. You have 19 more weeks to go, you will be fine. Take care of your self and your emotional needs and you will have a happier baby for it. I'm convinced of that one.
This is what this board is for, to help with all those emotional needs that women go through when pregnant. So here is Thanks to eveyone that is posting here, and helping.
Tanya
  #113   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 08:41

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks for the support you guys, it feels good hearing people say it even though I know in some part of my brain that everything is OK anyways. I was posting on a different thread yesterday, reassuring someone that being overweight doesn't automatically mean that you will cause problems for your baby, and that my last baby was the healthiest of all of them. I weighed 276 by the time she was born and she has had the flu one day (she's 2 1/2), a couple of minor colds and has never gone to the docotor (just the public health nurse for shots). So its kind of funny that I am getting so stressed about my weight when it all is really just esthetic for me. It is only because last year at this time I weighed 180, was running 3 miles a day, doing weight training and actually felt good about how I looked. I was just about to the point where I could tuck my shirt into my pants and not worry about "the belly"! Its like all my hard work has gone out the window, even though I am probably healthier for it. I have never been good at taming my emotions with logic when it comes to my weight. Like you said, 19 weeks (actually its more like 18 now) doesn't seem like that long when you put it that way. But that last month...always feels like a year!
  #114   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 09:00

Stats: 242/223/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Do you mind if I join you?

I'm Jennifer, 19 weeks pregnant with #2. My DD, now 16 months, was a LC baby. I'm eating on "maintenance" levels, with fruit and limited grains.

I've gained 13 lbs. in these 19 weeks. My perinatal doc does NOT want me to lose weight, in fact she wants me to gain 1/2 to 1 lb. a week, because there is a history of low birth-weight babies in my family, and my DD was small. I gained 26 lbs. total with her, and luckily lost it all within 3 weeks of delivery.

The pregnancy seems to be going well. We have our big ultrasound tomorrow, and hope to find out the baby's sex, if he/she isn't shy.

I see a few of you are due about the same time -- how fun! I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Hope I haven't bored you all to death.

-- Jenn
  #115   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I'm really excited to see how many of us are so close to the same due date (beginning of October). This IS looking into the future, but how about a support thread for our post baby life and bodies once we've given birth? We'll all be going through similar things and I bet it would be great for the empathy and support.

I have a question for those who are mum's already:
I'm about 5 mos now and totally feel like me breasts are no longer my own. I mean, before pregnancy they were MINE. They were FAR from perfect, but they gave me immense pleasure and they were for me (If my husband liked them, fine that is great too). Now they have changed so much and I already feel like they belong to the baby, I'm planning on breastfeeding for quite a while - when do they go back to being "yours" again. Do they ever? Mine have more than doubled in size, the structure INSIDE them has changed - it's this HEAVY HEAVY mass of ducts and other hard things and they're just so uncomfortable, not to mention the nipples usually hurt. I'll be honest, they're a source of misery. There is nothing I'd like better at this point than to be flat chested with responsive (responsive the way I like it) nips. Please.. what happens afterward?
  #116   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 09:57

BF:

Hi Meg, I can tell you from my own experience last year that once I stopped trying to breastfeed and pump (long story but my milk never really came in), my breasts returned to more normal within a couple of months. They're still HUGE, but their *ahem* responsiveness was back to me, and not baby.

I love the idea of an after-baby support group! This is to be our last one, so I'm hoping to be back on track and planning on training to run a marathon by the time I'm 40 (I'll be 36 when this one's born). So I can use all the support I can get!

Plus, it's always nice to have other moms going through similar events in our babies' lives.

-- Jenn
  #117   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 13:13
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I just logged on quickly, and noticed that the last post was by jeepifer! Don't tell me, do you have a Jeep? My husband was standing behind me and I said "LOOK! I bet her name is Jennifer and she has a JEEP!" And then, lo and behold, not only a Jenn, but a Jenn-with-two-n's....

I've got a 2004 Jeep TJ (Wrangler in the US)...

Jenn
  #118   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 15:35

BF:

Hi Jenn!

Currently we have an 1989 Cherokee and a 2002 Liberty. My "dream" Jeep is a yellow and black TJ/Wrangler Unlimited (the new ones with a bit more room in back). I'd also love an old Willys. I guess that will have to wait until the babies are out of carseats.

Nice to meet another Jeep fan.

-- Jenn
  #119   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 21:21

Default Pregnant brain article

Welcome Jenn,
The more the merrier.
I wanted to give a link to an article that my sister sent me about Pregnant brain, she never could understand what I was talking about and this could be a clue, she had 4 boys before she had a girl.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N1092737.htm

As to a new support group, we could keep it here, unless we feel that we need a new board. As I mentioned it was to be a support for nursing, and postpartum, I gain my weight after I have my kids, 20lbs each time. So I'm all for the best support I can get, because I really feel off the bandwagon after I had my little girl last year. I could never get my cravings undercontrol and I'm very nervous about that. Like you Donna last year, I was 183 lbs, and before I had the baby working out all the time, and now I'm hardly working out at all and I'm feeling it. I just can't beat the fatigue I'm feeling taking care of a 1 year old and expecting another one. I tell you for my height 202 lbs it waaaaayyy tooooo much.

Jeepifer, if I may ask how small was your DD? This is my nurse brain asking so if you don't want to tell me you don't have too. For a good size baby they need protien, and fats to grow and develop. I don't think you have to gain too much weight for that to happen, and I did loose with my last baby and she was 7lbs even. With GD that I think is a very good weight. You couldn't ask for better.
Tanya
  #120   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 07:37

BF:

Tanya, my DD was 5 lbs. 8 oz. at 37 weeks. She would've been even smaller but I was put on a blood thinner at 21 weeks. I was 2 lbs. 10 oz. when I was born, which kind of clued my perinatal doc in to the family problem (genetic high homocysteine levels, in case you're wondering ).

I have my intensive ultrasound today, so hopefully this baby will be measuring well for 19 weeks. They started me on the blood thinner at 7 weeks this time.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll check in later with the u/s results!

-- Jenn