Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#496   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 08:59
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Yes, the swiss ball is a stability ball, and it's also known as a fitness ball/gym ball/exercise ball as well. I would actually use 'fitness ball' myself, but I used 'swiss ball' when describing the Russian twist because that's how Lou Schuler refers to it in NROL.
I use "stability ball" but as long as we're talking about the same thing it's MUCH easier for me to envision!

Quote:
Can understand why you're combining the cardio and resistance for convenience. Pleased to hear that you do your resistance work first, and cardio second

As I said, all things being equal, I'd love to split up the days. As a matter of fact, I am today (will do cardio today). But for most times, the convenience really helps keep me going and keep balance with everything else I have to do. My next step will be to mix things in from there, such as more yoga. (Are you doing a class, videos, or just stretching that you know?

Quote:
As for HIIT, am I enjoying it?? To be honest, not really, because I hate running (and it kills my shins) but I do enjoy how quickly it is over and done with! I might try doing it on the stationary bike next week to see if it feels any better. I would love to do it on the rowing machine, but I really don't think that my shoulder is quite up to it just yet.

Now THAT is an honest answer! LOL You know I feel that way about the days I do the treadmill...I used to adore it, but it's no longer my favorite. Still, being able to sprint/run/jog for a bit does create quite the impact. I wonder if it's any better than pushing myself on the bike or elliptical, though. But I continue to do it so that I'm constantly mixing up my cardio and not getting in a total rut. Right now I'm still doing it longer (30-45 depending on day, mood, equipment) but as soon as I'm on my own again I'll be trying out what you do.

It's all outlined in NROL, right? I will ask for the book for my birthday, I think.
Sponsored Links
  #497   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 11:03

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Saturday, 10 February

Have just completed my final workout of the week ... looking forward to a day off tomorrow

Week 2 HIIT #3

Treadmill
Warm up: 5 minutes walking at 3.8mph
Rounds: 3 minutes each: Running at 6.2mph for one minute, followed by two minutes at 4.5mph x 3
Cool-down: 5 minutes walking at 3.5mph

Total=19 minutes

Later: stretching/yoga/dog walking

So, I've now done two weeks on the NROL Break-in Program. I'm not going to pretend that it has been easy, because it hasn't, but I have enjoyed it, and I've also been surprised by how much I've pushed myself to do it ... hey, I've even been to the gym, six days in a row!

A favourite Queen song of mine came on the radio as I was running on the treadmill, and I think it sums up how I'm feeling about my workouts at the moment:

Don't stop me now!
I'm having such a good time ... I'm having ball!

My motivation? I think that it's because I can finally see that there's a great body beneath the layers of fat, and it's starting to emerge. With some hard work and clean eating, I might just be able to have that Linda Hamilton bod!
  #498   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 15:00
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Demi, WTG on completing your week and doing it with such a great attitude. I'm looking forward to my day off tomorrow too, heh.

I'm excited for how things have clicked for you and how you're seeing results. I think the same thing is happening to me. At least, I'm feeling so much stronger and more flexible, even if my body isn't "shaping up" fast enough for my taste.

Have a wonderful Sunday! Monday it's back to the gym for me!
  #499   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 16:54
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

WTG! Your workouts look great. Think I'll check out that book.

My wrist has troubles as well, esp if I do push-ups or certain yoga poses. Not sure what to do about that...are there exercises that can strengthen wrists? Or good supports?
  #500   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 17:57

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:

Quote:

My motivation? I think that it's because I can finally see that there's a great body beneath the layers of fat, and it's starting to emerge. With some hard work and clean eating, I might just be able to have that Linda Hamilton bod!
Now that is motivation!
Quote:
are there exercises that can strengthen wrists? Or good supports?
I have carpel tunnel problems so to exercise my wrists makes them worse. On days they are feeling weak, I use wrist wraps, they help a lot. They are stretchy bands with Velcro closures. I don't use them unless I'm doing presses or something that requires them not to give out on me, and only on days they are questionable.
  #501   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 09:12

BF:
Default Thursday, 15 February

After all the clicking etc., TOM threw me an absolute blinder this month (see my journal for the gory details) and today was my first day back in the gym since Saturday

Although I thought I felt fine before, today's WO absolutely sucked ... I had no strength at all and really struggled.

The instructor was also in the gym today, and told me to take the rest of the week off, and then get back to it on Monday. She did say that if I wanted to power walk, then fine ... but steer clear of the weights and HIIT until my body had fully recovered.

So, I've decided to pull a veil over this week .. and begin Week 3 of the NROL Break-in program again on Monday.

Here's what I did today, anyway:

Warm-up:
Walking lunge with upper body twist x 5 each leg
Lateral lunge with opposite-hand reach and touch x 5 each side

Couldn't face the last three today, so missed them out altogether:
Ball bridge/Russian twist
Inchworm
T-push ups

Break-in WO B:

Deadlift 2 x 15
2 x 15 x 22lbs (10kg) dumbbells

Supersets
Step-up 2 x 15*
2 x 15 x 13.2lbs (6kg)
Dumbbell one-arm shoulder press 2 x 15*
2 x 15 x 8.8lbs (4kg)

Supersets
Close grip lat pulldown 2 x 15
2 x 15 x 44lbs (20kg)
Reverse Crunch 2 x 20
2 x 20

* each leg/arm
  #502   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 09:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
I have carpel tunnel problems so to exercise my wrists makes them worse. On days they are feeling weak, I use wrist wraps, they help a lot. They are stretchy bands with Velcro closures. I don't use them unless I'm doing presses or something that requires them not to give out on me, and only on days they are questionable.

Interesting ... I did actually have carpel tunnel problems with my left wrist many years ago, and had it operated on around 1991. I wonder if it may be flaring up again, and that is why I'm having problems with my left wrist now. I did get a wrist support, but I find it very uncomfortable to wear. I wonder if the wraps you use would be better? I'll have to see what's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
My wrist has troubles as well, esp if I do push-ups or certain yoga poses. Not sure what to do about that...are there exercises that can strengthen wrists? Or good supports?

There are some exercises that can help. My wrists have always been on the 'weak' side and my gym instructor once told me that these might help to strengthen them:

Wrist curl: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...BWristCurl.html
Reverse wrist curl: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...eWristCurl.html

However, I do think that galatia's wrist wraps might also be a good solution
  #503   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 09:34

BF:
Default Friday, 16 February

3 mile power walk

Later: stretching and yoga
  #504   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 08:42

BF:
Default Monday, 19 February

OK, back to it today ... starting Week 3 over again. Decided to start with a HIIT session today for a change, instead of weight training.

Week 3 HIIT #1

Treadmill
Rounds: 3 minutes each: Running at 6.2mph for one minute, followed by two minutes at 4.5mph x 3

Total=19 minutes

#505   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 08:23

BF:
Default Tuesday, 20 February

Week 3, Work Out #6

Warm-up:
Walking lunge with upper body twist x 5 each leg
Lateral lunge with opposite-hand reach and touch x 5 each side
Ball bridge/Russian twist x 5 each side
Inchworm x 5

Break-in WO A:

Squat 2 x 15
2 x 15 x 22lb (10kg) (dumbells)

Supersets
Static Lunge 2 x 15*
2 x 15 x 17.6lb (8kg) dumbbells
Two-point dumbbell row with elbow out 2 x 15*
2 x 15 x 17.6lb (8kg) dumbbells

Supersets
Push-up 2 x 15
2 x 15 3/4 push-up on knees
Swiss Ball Crunch 2 x 20
2 x 20

* each leg/arm

My left wrist is really playing up today, so it made the push ups particularly hard to do.

#506   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 16:41

BF:

Thanks for the encouragement.

Does your wrist hurt because it's being bent back or does it hurt other times too? If your gym has octagon dumbbells you could hold them to keep your wrists straight or a step or end of a bench...if it's the flexing that causes the pain. Some people do them from their knuckles....I haven't tried that.
  #507   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 08:52

BF:

Week 3 HIIT #2

Treadmill

Total=19 minutes

For some reason, my shins decided today to let me know that they didn't like me running ... I got through my WO, but I may have to look for an alternative way to do my HIIT if this carries on. I could perhaps increase the intensity by using steeper inclines. I'll see how I get on on Friday though before I start changing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Does your wrist hurt because it's being bent back or does it hurt other times too? If your gym has octagon dumbbells you could hold them to keep your wrists straight or a step or end of a bench...if it's the flexing that causes the pain. Some people do them from their knuckles....I haven't tried that.

I think they started hurting originally because of being bent back ... now, however, everything seems to be hurting them. I think that I may have to stop doing push-ups and find an alternative 'pushing' exercise.
  #508   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 11:28
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hey Demi - I think we just had a wrist discussion in the WTB section (though I'm blanking on with whom). I'd suggested bench or rail or wall push-ups...or using a bar on a BOSU ball (which my trainer had me doing in the beginning) as alternate push-up options. I've also see those things that look like 'handles belonging to nothing' do you know the ones I mean? I wonder if any of these alternate hand/wrist positions might help? Just some thoughts...
  #509   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 08:01

BF:
Default Friday, 23 February

Taking a few days off to rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Hey Demi - I think we just had a wrist discussion in the WTB section (though I'm blanking on with whom). I'd suggested bench or rail or wall push-ups...or using a bar on a BOSU ball (which my trainer had me doing in the beginning) as alternate push-up options. I've also see those things that look like 'handles belonging to nothing' do you know the ones I mean? I wonder if any of these alternate hand/wrist positions might help? Just some thoughts...

Yes, it was with Waywardsis ... and it also originated from here.

Thanks for the alternative push-ups sugestions, but I think for the timebeing, I'm just going to have to stop them altogether. My wrist is far too painful at the moment, and I also want to wait and see what the doctor has to say about it.
  #510   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 16:58

BF:

Quote:
... YAY! Congrats on the new low

Have just noticed your new avatar ... you are one fabulous looking lady
Thank-you!!

I hope you have a very rejuvenating rest and come back refreshed and motivated. Have a great week-end.