Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 16:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/159/143 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress:
Default What is Gluten and Splenda

Hi

I dont live in US, thus was unable to find
Gluten
and Splenda

What are these products... If someone can explain, maybe I would be able to find these or substitute products

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 05:55

Plan: A modified Atkins
Stats: 193/193/175 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:
Cool Gluten and Splenda... Not in the US

Hey there... I don't live in the US either. I live in Canada... I found Gluten in a bulk food store, they just called it gluten flour, and it has 85% protein... They only had it at one of their locations, however... Phone around to see if any bulk food stores around you have it. As for Splenda, it can be found in most big grocery stores, again, call around. It's pretty expensive, ran me about $6.00 for a box of Splenda, but I only use it in bread-making, so it's not a big deal. I've seen it at every other grocery store I've been to. Splenda is made from sugar, and MAY be called Sucralose, depending on where you live. (It's a brand name here, don't know if there are patents, etc). If you can't find the gluten at a bulk store, try a natural or health food store. As for Splenda, you might be able to contact them and ask for a distributor near you... Click here for Splenda's customer service email form

Hope that helps!
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 22:26

Stats: 230/230/200 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

I found that good ol' wheat bread only has 9 effective carbs a slice. In the induction phase, if you eat a sandwich using only one slice of bread that does no harm, in other words make a "book" (or a "foldover"). When you up your carb intake, like to 40, you can easily have two slices of bread a day (18 carbs). That's a regular sandwich. Am I wrong here?
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 14:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Uh... yes, if you're doing Atkins. You're cutting out better foods if you were to "spend" 18 g carbs on bread. It's better to spend your extra carbs on vegetables, fruit and nuts. Regular wheat bread still causes quite an insulin spike. IMHO, it's not too difficult or expensive now to buy or make your own lower carb bread.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 03:02

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default great stuff

Thankyou mhampton!! What a great bread recipe..have just scoffed a slice slathered in butter and i am amazed, it is very like the REAL thing..great texture,not stretchy or spongy like 'Gabis world famous bread'.
This recipe is a real keeper, I didn't heat ingredients as you instructed! Far too lazy for that!! I used hot tap water,then butter,egg,all the dry ingredients with the yeast on top,turned bread maker on a basic 3 hour cycle..checked it during initial kneading to make sure it was forming a nice ball{had to add a little more wheat gluten flour] and then left the machine to do its thing! VERY IMPRESSED.THANK YOU!!!
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-05, 23:25

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Ok. I made the first loaf exactly as listed and it didn't turn out...ok, I forgot to put the egg in! So, the second loaf I followed and it was really dense! So, the third loaf I said heck with it and put all the wet ingredients in, the salt, and then the dry ingredients! Then I added the yeast to the very top and let it go! It is finally baking and looks much better! I did microwave the water and melted the butter by the way! It didn't lift the lid like KiwiGal's did, but it is level with the container.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 130/126/120 Female 5"5"
BF:
Progress:
Smile

well, I have been wanting to try a lc bread in my breadmachine and had all the ingredients so I said , what the heck,go for it. Well I did try this and it is GREAT.. I did the first in the bread machine on dough cycle,it rised up nice, I put it on a baking sheet, it was the shape of a small backetball,, I was not sure how to get it into a loaf shape,, I then put it in my oven that i warmed up some and let it rise,, but it only got alittle bigger, then baked it. It is really good, I then tried aloaf and let it go for the whole cycle in the bread machine and it came out smaller and denser,, not much smaller, and it too was good. I think I will do this on dough cycle and finish it. My question is when it is done the dough cycle am I supposed to still let is rise for an hour or has that been done in the dough cycle?? I also wanted to know what your tips were to get a nice warm spot to get it to rise/? thanks again for this recipe,, I was so happy to have some yummy hot bread to dip in my sauce last night at dinner. my husband and son liked it too.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 12:39

BF:

I don't know! I wish I did! I have heard of some who get the lid lifting on theirs but I have yet to do that! I do know it is less than half the flour than my old french bread recipe that will still lift that lid! The bread does taste good though! I guess we have lots of research to do!!!
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 13:27
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

Unless you have a programmable bread machine such as a Zojirushi, try just using the "dough" cycle, remove the dough, put it in a loaf pan in some warm place free of drafts (see page one), and let it rise ONCE! Don't punch it down--just put it in the oven (or if it's already there, increase the temp to ~350, and bake it.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 16:03

BF:

So, I really didn't need a bread machine and could have used my Kitchen Aid to mix the bread! What temp and how long for the bread in the oven??? What size bread pan and should I have glass or tin??? I ask too many questions, don't I?
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 06:12
Registered Member

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 130/126/120 Female 5"5"
BF:
Progress:

I baked it at 350 for 30-35 nminutes,, it is good
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 12:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance67
I found that good ol' wheat bread only has 9 effective carbs a slice. In the induction phase, if you eat a sandwich using only one slice of bread that does no harm, in other words make a "book" (or a "foldover"). When you up your carb intake, like to 40, you can easily have two slices of bread a day (18 carbs). That's a regular sandwich. Am I wrong here?

Call me old fashioned, but I don't believe bread belongs on Induction and not even in OWL for a while! And, the store brands are going to have stuff in them made for shelf life and will effect your insulin. If you really have to have the bread then making your own would serve you better! But, not in Induction!
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 12:59

BF:

Thanks! If I feel better later on I will give it another go! Good thing the ingredients weren't expensive!!!!!!!! I think I have two bread pans made of glass so will give those a try! I have another question everyone! Is there a difference between the yeast that comes in packets and the yeast that comes in a jar??????
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:51
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

I don't think there is that much of a difference whether the loaf pans are glass or enameled steel (or even aluminum)--my grandmother made successful loaves in both, though she preferred glass (pyrex), perhaps for ease of cleaning??

It is harder to find rapid rise, dough-conditioned yeast in packets, but other than that, I don't think there is any difference. I have a prejudice for the stuff in the jar, as you can't get all the yeast out of the packets, and I feel, rightly or wrongly, that it keeps better in the refrigerator in a jar--you never can tell if the packet seal has been breached, whereas you CAN tell if the lid is missing.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 14:38

BF:

Thanks for the info! I am going to get another experimental loaf going in a little while and will follow your advice! I love being able to have bread I know is safe! The teaspoon and a half of sugar that goes in the recipe...is that something I should be worried about??? I have been low carbing over 4 months so am not even close to Induction stage even though I am keeping my carbs pretty low right now! I read somewhere that the sugar bakes off or the yeast devours it or something like that! What is your thoughts on this? If I get on your nerves asking you bread questions then please let me know! I drive myself crazy until I understand everything about whatever I am involved in. You just have to feel badly for my family!