Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 01:13

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default To really tackle obesity, stop snacking and eat at the dining table

To really tackle obesity, stop snacking and eat at the dining table

We (the UK) are the second fattest nation in Europe - and it’s not because we love our food

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...t-dining-table/

Quote:
It’s quite the conversion. The man who, just a year ago, was attacking “the continuing creep of the nanny state” appears set to become the nation’s Nanny-in-Chief. In July last year, Boris Johnson announced a review of “sin taxes” – taxes on sugary, salty and fatty foods – and declared that they “clobber those who can least afford it”. People should be free to eat what they like, buy what they like, enjoy what they like. But that was before he fell seriously ill with Covid-19, partly, he believes, because he was a “fatty”.

Now our Prime Minister has the missionary zeal of one who was blind, but now sees. And you can, by the way, go blind from diabetes, which directly affects around four million people in this country, and is likely to affect around five million by 2025. You get diabetes, to be blunt, by being fat. Obese people are around 80 times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than people who are not overweight. They are much more likely to die of a heart attack or a stroke. And they are, according to some studies, twice as likely to die of Covid-19.

Johnson hasn’t yet announced a “world-beating” anti-obesity strategy, but then he hasn’t yet announced the strategy. From the early indications, it seems it will be fierce. There will be bans on television junk food adverts before 9pm. There may be bans on having sweets and chocolates at the end of supermarket aisles or by tills. There may even be bans on “buy one, get one free” offers.

What none of this addresses, though, is how we eat. Food, in this country, as in much of the Western world, has gone from something you eat at a table to something you munch on the sofa, at a desk, on a bus, on the Tube, on the hoof. It’s a comfort blanket, made largely from chemicals, a consolation, a drug and treat. We drip-feed ourselves sugar and salt, which only makes us crave it more. And I speak as someone who eats far too many Kettle Chips.

We are not quite “world-beating” in our obesity rates, but we are the second fattest nation in Europe. And it’s not because we love our food. Italians love their pasta, ice cream and pizza. They might have breakfast at a bar. They might have an aperitivo before dinner. They have the aperitivo to whet the appetite. Which they still have, because they don’t snack. They love their food at least as much as we do, and they are much, much slimmer.

During lockdown, Joe Wicks got much of the nation moving. Now we need someone to teach us to cook. Not gourmet meals that win competitions. Just an omelette, a bowl of spaghetti, a baked potato, a stew. We need someone to teach us to sit at a table, with a knife and fork. We need it because eating a meal with people you love is one of the greatest pleasures in life, but also because it might just save it.

Christina Patterson is the author of ‘The Art of Not Falling Apart’ and host of the podcast Work Interrupted

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 03:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Since now the centerpieces of my meals is cooked meat, half the time I must actually cook. It does change things. But I think it's in a good way.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 06:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

We need simple quality food, period. Real food, not snack foods.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 10:43

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Corporate-made foods are the problem.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 06:03

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Once again we see a simple solution to a complex problem
To avoid obesity eat at the table

Like all simple solutions to complex problems, it will have its advocates. But will it be a game changer?

I doubt it.

Reminds me of the California law banning plastic straws to combat climate change.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 07:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Benay, change is slow. CA banned straws, towns here at the jersey shore are banning straws, plastic shopping bags (well we had before COVID, now they are temporarily back) etc. Change creeps in slowly -whether it is political, racial, ecological, or cultural. But I agree with you that family life in USA is so geared around separate schedules and being on the go, that I do not ever see a change where most folks are sitting down at a dinner table like we all did growing up. And thats sad.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 07:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Demi, great post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 09:45

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

My food obviously has the same nutrient value no matter where I sit or how quick I eat. I think sit down at the table means don't snack all day (especially on junk) everywhere, have a designated only place to eat if helpful. Home cooked, even not the greatest choices like the mentioned spaghetti or potato, means less long lists of funky ingredients found in ultra-processed prepared "food" products. It takes, like, half the box in fine print to list everything in a simple frozen pizza from the grocery store for instance. How many less ingredients would that same pizza take to make at home? Certainly unhealthy dishes may be made at home and eaten at a table, too, but hopefully better ones for the more part than those highly processed prepared foods. Eating actually healthy foods that don't raise insulin resistance, etc. would be even better, but most people aren't there yet so this is a start.