Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 14:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The latest probiotic drink: a baby poo smoothie

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
23 August,2018

The latest probiotic drink: a baby poo smoothie

It’s healthy, it’s organic, it already comes at a smoothie-like consistency — and it uses a resource that we would otherwise just throw away. What’s not to like about the latest promising probiotic supplement?

Well, there’s the fact that it comes out of a baby’s bottom.

Scientists have created a health “cocktail” made from scouring the nappies of infants and then culturing the bacteria they find within.

After testing the resulting drink on mice and on a simulation of the human gut, they claim it could help people with diseases such as diabetes and autoimmune disorders by improving their production of chemicals called short chain fatty acids.

Scientists are increasingly learning about the importance of gut bacteria to our general health. In particular, diseases related to obesity and to dysfunctions of the immune system seem to have a link to the microbial communities that we carry around, known as the microbiome — which can be altered by antibiotics, diet and illness.

For years, health food companies have tried to capitalise on the idea of helping our “good bacteria”, with probiotic drinks. But, said Hariom Yadav, from Wake Forest School of Medicine, these all have a common flaw: the provenance of their bacteria.

“Probiotics are in high demand, because of the health benefits of manipulating the microbiome,” he said. “With several of the probiotics the origin is not known. Some others are isolated from the soil, still more from fermented food.” Given their purpose is to restore a human microbiome to peak health, he said this was an odd way of going about it. “The origin of probiotics should be from humans.”

As unpalatable as it may sound, treatments have already been developed on this basis. The most effective way of combating infection by Clostridium difficile, a debilitating condition, is faecal transplants — in which someone else’s bacteria are used to repopulate sufferers’ guts.

For a paper in the journal Scientific Reports, Dr Yadav and his colleagues decided to go to the purest source of gut bacteria they could think of, as yet unsullied by junk food or medicine. “The baby microbiome remains the healthiest microbiome,” he said. They scraped baby poo from 34 used nappies, then isolated promising strains to be cultured and tested.

They found that these strains seemed to increase production of short chain fatty acids. Dr Yadav said this was significant. “In many diseases — obesity, diabetes, cancer — the levels of these metabolites go significantly down. There is a lot of data suggesting that if we produce them it could be beneficial.”

He said they were now putting the bacteria into yoghurts, with a view to eventually testing them in humans. “They grow nicely in milk,” he said. “We are smelling it, looking at it — but we are not eating it yet.”

Although, he said, once they have approval he would have no problem in doing so. “These are just bacteria. The origin does not matter — they are not poop.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...othie-p3clssltn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 14:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Interesting. Will see if consumers will accept and buy the product.

Babies originally get their microbiome from their mother, at birth and breastfeeding. I hope these babies that donated were carefully selected.

One question I would have is can adult humans benefit or has the opportunity passed because the window of inoculation closed after infancy passed?

Cool stuff!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 19:33

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I wonder, can adults redevelop a healthy gut microbiome after aggressive treatment with antibiotics for something where the treatment was clearly needed? That happened to me once and I wonder what's happened since then in that regard? Not talking about eating the product these researchers are developing, but just from whatever microbes we normally get exposed to.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 20:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Zei, I would like to beleive so. A colonoscopy empties everything, and I mean everything. The onyl way to replenish is thru foods. I have often wondered if this is enough, and have not gone back for another colonoscopy. Im no longer convinced they are truly necessary. AND I dont want to give up my microbes again. lol

kombucha
cheeses
yogurts
buttermilk
sauerkraut-raw

I would be ok with the new product listed above as the microbes are not grown in poo, but in a clean sterile environment free of contamination.