Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 05:54

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Dr. Rhonda Patrick & Tim Ferriss on Ketosis, Microbiome, Lyme Disease, and Biomarkers

Tim Ferriss on Ketosis, Microbiome, Lyme Disease, and Biomarkers

...very interesting comment by Dr. Rhonda Patrick (Tim Ferriss actually brings up the topic - may have to back it up prior to the 22 minute mark) that comes up after around the 22 minute mark on antioxidant supplementation, and what if suppressing the exercise related inflammation hinders instead of helps?

- good type of inflammation, good type of damage, good type of stress

- the chronic vs. the acute / good type of stress

- I used to take a lot of vitamin C
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 11:57

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

"and what if suppressing the exercise related inflammation hinders instead of helps?"

Interesting confluence. A few days ago, after intense exercise - that was mainly getting my ass kicked behind a wakeboard boat on a hydrofoil - my weight was up 10lbs over night (actually the day AFTER when I was the most sore)

I almost always gain weight after taking a beating and don't take anything to ease that pain that is usually gone withing 72 hrs, including the water mostly. My liver is in poor shape so my doc strictly forbids the kind of over the counter meds that are bad for it's function, even in the short haul.

Maybe by my misfortune of dealing with the pain I'm gaining more mass? Who knows but it's nice to think about
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-18, 14:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Interesting discussion. I'll watch Rhonda and Tim, but I'm not sure how to effectively suppress exercise related inflammation. Yeah, one could take a high dose of NSAIDs or supplement with antioxidants, but every time I abuse myself with an intense workout where I feel it for a few days, there really is nothing other than hydrating, stretching, and making sure my sodium levels are solid in my post-exercise meals that can really suppress the inevitable inflammation. If the resulting inflammation has an intended positive function, that makes sense. Letting it take its own course is what I've been doing anyway. Being able to regulate the degree of inflammation by adjusting the workout intensity is something I've been doing recently as well.

Edited to add:
Ok, it makes sense where Rhonda distinguishes between chronic inflammation caused by diet or lifestyle issues is something that should be avoided. Exercise-induced inflammation is helpful. I also stopped taking vitamin C, as I felt I no longer required it, and I associated taking it with occasional periods of indigestion. I no longer take the antioxidants that I used to consume years ago such as vitamin E and alpha lipoic acid. I gave up NSAIDs several years ago because of much bad mojo associated with these things.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Fri, Aug-24-18 at 15:57.