Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 15:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Fat Fiction...a new film

And a new interview by our own Grav, aka Brendan.

This film previewed at Low Carb Denver, but many other events were changed dramatically in response to Covid19. One was Brendan stepped into the interviewer role to help the organizers, and filmed an interview with the director of Fat Fiction. Film trailer included at the beginning of this interview:

https://youtu.be/eh2yWEDA-lc

More on the film.
https://fatfiction.movie/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 20:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Excellent interview by Grav.

Film is available on Amazon and Vimeo. Just purchased on Amazon and watching it tonight. No hesitation to support this effort, as the message is seriously important.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 05:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for the heads up, Grav's so good on and off camera. Thanks for supporting all the folks in Denver!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 07:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'll definitely watch this, pending budget in the near future. I wish it was on iTunes; I have a gift card sitting here and nothing else I care to spend it on.

Grav, excellent job on the interview. I don't recall what you said you do for a living, but if you don't already work in broadcasting, you have a second career to fall back on.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Great Movie. Its hard to understand why so many people still believe the low fat myth. As far as I can see, keto is very similar, if not the same, to the first two weeks of the original Atkins. I've never been able to tolerate more than 20 -25 carbs without gaining, so keto is perfect for me. Thanks for posting this , Janet.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 13:14

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

This was one of a series of short interviews that I was asked to conduct with various people at Low Carb Denver. Jen was really nice to talk to and made things really easy, as did the recording crew who were somewhat new to the conference environment themselves, in the absence of the Diet Doctor team.

Those of us attending the conference got to watch the documentary on the Saturday evening. I've seen a number of these sorts of documentaries now, but I think this one does a really good job of summarising the history of the issues with our guidelines, how they really fostered a fear of fat over the years, and the problems to which we have been led as a consequence. It's clearly aimed at the layperson so it may possibly come across as a bit basic for some of us here, but on the flipside, I think that makes this documentary a really good first choice for someone who you think might be interested in exploring this topic for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Grav, excellent job on the interview. I don't recall what you said you do for a living, but if you don't already work in broadcasting, you have a second career to fall back on.

Thanks. For what it's worth, I used to work in radio many years ago. At that time and at my size at that time, it was the perfect job for someone who didn't want to be seen. So yeah I used to talk a little bit, but being in front of the camera is not something I'm used to at all. But I guess once Rod got wind of my history, he was keen to have me help out where needed, and I didn't mind giving it a shot.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 22:00
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

Stats: 123/456/789 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Fat Fiction Documentary

I was reading some information on an author named Gary Taubes this evening, and I came across a documentary that he's involved in called Fat Fiction. I'm curious as to whether anyone here has seen it, and if so what their opinions/reactions to it were.

Fat Fiction Trailer
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 22:55

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I haven't read that particular one but managed to read his entire "Good Fats Bad Fats" huge book in just days plus the smaller "Why We Get Fat" and found them both extremely enlightening and highly recommend him.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 01:13

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I just rented it on Amazon for $1.99 and am watching it now. Excellent documentary. Great cast:

Mark Hyman
Nina Teicholz
Gary Taubes
Tim Noakes
Robert Lustig
Dr. Sarah Hallberg
Dr. Jason Fung
Eric Westman
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 04:04

Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories was the book that convinced me to go low carb, the cancer chapter in particular. Why We Get Fat came out after and is excellent, what I still recommend almost a decade later. That shorter book has Dr Westman's Diet right in the back, super simple how to eat LC. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

But the cancer info was cut from the short version, so depends on your tolerance for many studies. The first time his work made an impact was in 2004, cover of the NYT Magazine, What if it all is a Big Fat Lie? http://garytaubes.com/works/

The Fat Fiction Movie is good if you haven’t seen this type of documentary before, there are other ones available on DietDoctor And Netflix that cover the same ground. This one seemed to have a good budget and was well done technically.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/movies

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-31-20 at 05:28.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 05:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I watched it recently and enjoyed it, but as Janet has said, there are others that came before it which are good too.

Having said that, there's some interesting comments about it on this thread:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483785
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 05:31

And Adele Hite reviewed it for DietDoctor with some criticisms,

https://www.dietdoctor.com/fat-fict...message-of-hope
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 05:44

Plan: low carb/keto
Stats: 234.8/215.2/154 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks for the recommendation, I just watched it now on Amazon Prime and really enjoyed it. I love documentaries and as I'm still fairly new to low carb eating it's the first of its type I've watched.

I noticed that Amanda Atkins is listed at the executive producer and I wonder if she's related to Dr Atkins at all. Does anyone know?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 08:55
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories was the book that convinced me to go low carb, the cancer chapter in particular. Why We Get Fat came out after and is excellent, what I still recommend almost a decade later.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/movies

Coming from a family of vegans, and I myself was one until very recently, I've never been exposed to any of this information prior to joining this site.
Gary Taubes isn't someone I've ever heard of, but I'm definitely interested in reading more of his theories.
I'm going to order Good Calories, Bad Calories. Hopefully I can have a better understanding of the science, which tbh isn't very easy for me.
I'm going to also check out the videos on the Diet Doctor link today. They look really interesting
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 09:07
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCinAust
I noticed that Amanda Atkins is listed at the executive producer and I wonder if she's related to Dr Atkins at all. Does anyone know?

I've been searching a bit online, but I haven't found a link between Amanda Atkins and Dr Atkins. Doesn't mean there isn't one, I just wasn't able to find a connection. Maybe someone else will know?