Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 08:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/248/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 2%
Angry Why can't I stay motivated to do this? I'm so pissed with myself

I'm am so sick of fighting with myself about my weight and I don't understand why I can't just stay on track. Everytime I'm doing well, I get down a few pounds then I go and screw it up. I wanna stay on a clean induction and I wanna get my lazy a$$ up and get on my treadmill consistantly and I keep messing up then get mad when I look in the mirror. I'm so sick of myself and I don't know what to do !!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 08:54

Plan: low carb/IF
Stats: 206/182/168 Female 5feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

hiya i really feel your pain. I am my own worst enemy. I will stick toplan, feel like i'm really doing good, then find i've lost a few pounds only to be really lax and put them straight back on again. If truth be told, we all know the plan works when it is followed properly, I think the problem , for me anyways, is apsychological one where i think, i've lost a few pounds surely a little bit here or there of maybe extra carbs, maybe no exercise or maybe a glass of wine etc won't hurt - but yes it does. Ihave yoyoed with the same 10 lbs since my initial weight loss. Also, sometimes I think, that subconsciously our mind is not ready to deal with being a lower weight or even that in the past being an even slightly lower weight has meant endless slog and esxercise and hunger (pre low carb) that my brain is just finding it hard to get past the old feelings and fears. Just gotta convince my self (mybrain) that weighing less is not going to make it harder.

My solution - ditch the scales - not ableto do it yet - as i also have a fear of putting on weight if i don't monitor it. So, catch 22 at the mo. anyway, i think the secret is to believe that it will work and to not let a few ups and downs on the scale determine how the plan goes for the day.
Ramble i know- but hope it makes sense!
good luck
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 175/176/140 Female 64
BF:29%
Progress: -3%

Keis and Bolly...I am so on the same boat! It comes form years of negative self-talk and failures. I am also my own worst enemy, and if it helps any...it is not uncommon to have the same difficulty sticking to plan...we are used to yo yoing...and it takes a while for old habits to change...KEEP AT IT!!!!

If we continue to move forward...it will work! Sooner or later our minds will follow our bodies...and it will get more and more difficult to NOT do the right thing!!

Our bodies are a fat storing machine! Yo yo dieting has primed us to hold it in for that up coming famine...we have convinced our metabolism to be slow and conserve...eat...move...stay focussed!! It will happen!

I need to hear it and believe it too!

Love yourself!
XX
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 09:17

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 183/169/160 Female 5'6"
BF:yes, lots!
Progress: 61%

ITA! I slip all the time (especially when the hormones get me ).
All you can do is forgive yourself and get back on the horse, or the treadmill, or stairmaster...And bollywud is right; stay away from the scale unless you feel like you're moving backward. I am starting my umpteenth clean Induction today, and I am going to try not to weigh myself again until next week...maybe.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 09:20
Registered Member

drbrat...ME TOO!!!! I overindulged on my whipped cream and cocoa powder creation!! UGH!!
Back to a CLEAN induction we go!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 09:22

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I think that you probably have a food intolerance, and that it causes intense cravings which you find impossible to control.

Are you keeping a strict food diary?

That would be the way to figure out what it is, in what you are currently eating, that is sabotaging your plan.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 10:24

Plan: DSP
Stats: 232/197/150 Female 5'2"
BF:lots of it
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by napanda
If we continue to move forward...it will work! Sooner or later our minds will follow our bodies...and it will get more and more difficult to NOT do the right thing!!
I sure hope that's true! I keep slipping and I'm so discouraged right now. I don't want to be this way the rest of my life either.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 10:53
Registered Member

Renee...I just think of the alternative...I have tried EVERY other diet and gave up if the results didn't come right away...I feel that Atkins/low carb addresses my carb addiction, so I am sticking with it for that reason, if no other. I am a bit of a sneaker once in a while, so i cannot blame the food for jumping into my mouth..lol...but I also need to be realistic. I don't have a 24 hr personal traine, I don't have a chef or nutritionist...and I am on my own to see the results...I am doing this for me...and I only blame myself when I don't follow the rules/guidelines.
Ease up on yourself...this is hard, and a lif long committment...you have had success...just look at that and love yourself!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 12:42

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 66%

I do the same thing as you, over and over. On one occasion 6 years ago I stuck to what was basically a '72 Atkins induction level, and for whatever reason I was very very good and stuck with it completely, and I very easily dropped all the weight I wanted to drop. So that showed me I could do it, that it works for me.

BUT.....since then, I've started Atkins many times and "lost it" after a fairly short time. Why? I guess it's because I just didn't want to lose the weight as bad as I wanted to indulge myself with the food items that messed me up. Simple as that. I didn't want it bad enough, pure and simple.

This whole thing is perhaps above all a HEAD trip....you've got to get your mind on the right track and get your priorities straight and then you've got to keep yourself in that mind set day after day until you reach your goal. For me, doing that entails reading Atkins and other diet related/motivational books over and over. I come to this and other forums, so my mind in relentlessly "on track." I'm sure I'm a horrendous bore to Mr. CMCM, too, because I sort of drag him along on my diet trip....after all, he is having to eat much of the same food I eat!

Anyhow, just stick with it and do what you have to do to twist yourself into the right frame of mind to stick with it. And endlessly remind yourself that if you want it bad enough, you CAN do it!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 13:17

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hey.. I didn't read the other posts so I apologize if I'm being repetitive...
I was stuck at around 183 for the LONGEST time... i can't even begin to tell you.... and I had convinced myself that I was doing nothing wrong.. well, I finally was honest with myself and dropped certain things that I knew were stalling me... i.e. DIET COKE, wine, and AS in general... I also did not give in to my cravings (I get a craving every two months or so for a burger and fries, don't attack me, please!)... and I finally pushed passed my stall and I'm at 178! I'm sooo freaking happy!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 13:21

Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

Don't feel alone on this. I did atkins many years ago and go to my goal weight, almost lost 100 lbs. I told myself that I would never ever see those numbers again, that i would never be fat again after all that hard work. Well, I fell off that wagon, actually I dove off from it, suffered major road rash, and have come crawling back. I weighed in at 162, my smallest size, and when i came back to atkins I was at 238 again, OMG. I thought that the emotions of why i ate, how terrible I felt, would make it so that I could stick with atkins again and go on induction, everything would be ok. Well, surprise, it wasn't. I literally started atkins induction on 8 seperate times. I'd do ok, get thru a week or two and drop around 5 lbs. Then, would take a nose dive emotioally, because it is so much slower the second, third, or 8th time around. I was depressed and so upset. The hardest part of induciton for me, and restarting atkins, is that no one else in the house was eating this way, I never did tell my dh that I was and am on atkins!!

I have to admit that I never ever thought I could do induction for a solid 2 weeks again. I went thru with things day to day-I just couldn't think past the "now". I have been on atkins since Nov. cheat free, no sugar, wheat, etc. I always laughed when others on the board told me that after a while you will adjust and never "cheat" I found that the only way I could keep myself cheat free was to convince myself that I can not under any circumstances eat that stuff ever again. We are all addicts, if it was simple to give up carbs, sugar, etc. then there would be no need for atkins, or SB etc.

I've been able to avoid any and all non friendly foods, but it doesn't mean that I don't get discoraged either. I have sat here all day wanting to raid the fridge, and just eat. I haven't had any "scale" action in weeks and I have also reached that personal place where I say why bother, this isn't working. Hang in there and keep coming back, we are all going thru this. If it helps, form a buddy system. I know the majority of us would love to have someone to check in with, a group that does induction for 2 weeks, check in every day!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 14:09

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
The hardest part of induciton for me, and restarting atkins, is that no one else in the house was eating this way, I never did tell my dh that I was and am on atkins!!

You know, this statement really resonated with me... I want to quickly say that I'm not responding to the person who wrote it -- my response isn't directed at her... It just served as inspiration...

It would be almost impossible to do Atkins if my husband didn't know. Moreover, it is so important to me to have his support. (DH actually does Atkins with me)... Furthermore, all of the important ppl in my life know... Some might not agree with it, but that's their problem, not mine. I have to admit, I have a strong personality/character and don't worry about people's opinions. The point being that if people know, they will be less likely to offer me foods they know I don't eat. If they knowingly offer non-LC foods, I kindly put them in their place -- if they are good friends, they won't do that. They know I'm confident and won't be persuaded by their negative banter. I wish this for everyone living an LC life. Be secure in your decision and people will see that security and most likely leave you alone about it. There will always be those who are annoying and nothing you say will change their mind -- to those people, I simply say, "thanks for your concern"... God knows I will forget their banter the second I walk away but i completely recognize that talking to some people in this world is like talking to a brick wall... so why expend precious energy on that? This is the best decision DH and I have every made... and people in my life know how strongly I feel about it and don't bother harassing me! It's great.