Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 17:44

Plan: Dr. Atkins for Diabetes
Stats: 355.4/340.2/240 Female 5" 4"
BF:?
Progress: 13%
Unhappy Okay, I cheated

I have been having gout on and off for four weeks, I also have diabetes, having said that, I know neither one of those things is really an excuse to cheat, but I was just feeling so darn bad. Pain for four weeks and the medicine to clear up the gout is going to make my blood sugar so high I'm going to have to take insulin (usually I take oral medication) for 10 days.

Whew, I feel better for having confessed, I know the prednisone is going to make me gain weight (the dr. said) but I'm getting back on the horse tomorrow. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 23:04

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

Well, I cheated this weekend - I let my DH's dad's birthday throw me off track. It happens! The best thing to do is just get back up and just keep on a goin! This is a way of life, not a temporary diet, so cheats will happen, but it's not like the whole thing is blown if we just don't let that cheat turn into a series of cheats, right?

I hope you feel better very soon! Keep up the good LC work and I'll do the same!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 23:42

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

My sympathies about the gout ... DH has had that and it's not fun! Just take your meds, and stick to your WOE and you probably won't gain anything. I take pred. periodically for asthma and I don't usually gain so, you may not lose for the duration, but at least, hopefully, you're not gaining!

By the way, I like to refer to them as "off-plan" meals rather than cheats! It has a less negative connotation!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 15:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sorry about the gout but cheating is probably the worst possible thing for it. Sugars, in particular fructose, is probably responsible for most gout. You can google "gout fructose" and read up on that.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 15:38

Plan: Dr. Atkins for Diabetes
Stats: 355.4/340.2/240 Female 5" 4"
BF:?
Progress: 13%

Thanks for all the feedback, good to know I'm not the only one who goes "off plan" (I like that better too!). I have gained weight on the prednisone, but hopefully once I'm off it, I'll relose that weight.

I love coming to this forum, there are always plenty of people to give you a hand up! ;-)